Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Heavy Revolver...hip or shoulder carry

I hope this is the right forum to post this question. It is an open carry question but open carry in the field type scenario.

I am planning on taking my Ruger 4 inch Redhawk on a trip where I will be in a mixed environment of public national parks, driving, and hiking. My question is for those who have carried heavy revolvers on a regular basis which is my best mode of carry to invest in, a shoulder holster or a hip holster?

I am a fan of leather and currently carry my XD45 Compact in an OWB from Ryan Grizzle. It weighs 29 oz. empty and it seems a little heavy, The Redhawk is 49 oz. empty so I don't know if I would like it on my waste or not.

I don't know if I would like a chest holster because it is really in your face when in public areas so I was thinking either shoulder or hip.

Any suggestions or opinions.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Heavy Revolver...hip or shoulder carry

I don't have a quality shoulder holster.

But I have a 6" Ruger Security Six and a 4" S&W .38.

A vertical shoulder holster is best IMHO for longer barrel lengths, especially while seated in a car. I do have a leather 'western' belt holster. My shape means I really need suspenders to safely carry that way, unfortunately! But while seated in the car, especially while wearing a seatbelt, it is almost impossible to draw a large frame revolver. Not so much from a vertical, weak side shoulder holster.

Another advantage is going to the toilet. You don't have to remove the firearm, just unbuckle from your pants (usually snaps). Weakness of this set-up is crossing oneself to get to the firearm leads to a long draw, and one can occasionally accidentally unsnap one side or the other (but usually the gun side). Reaching around to re-snap is sometimes best left to do in private as it might look odd in public!

A vertical holster allows the weapon to ride high and is usually covered by your arm, another advantage.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Lycoming County)

I agree with TaePo.

The other day a friend of ours was carrying his 4" barrel S&W in a vertical holster and it was not noticable at all under his sport coat and it looked comfortable.

Can you go to a local gun shop and try one on?

Just a thought ...

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(York County)

Another +1 for "Master Po"

My first hand gun was the Ruger Security Six, 6-inch barrel. I had both a OWB belt holster and a vertical shoulder holster for it. I much preferred the shoulder holster in every situation.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Shoulder all the way.
    I would go with a vertical holster if you can find one that suits you.
    They're good an secure.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Venango County)

To be honest, he did mention OC. I tend not to OC as the Vertical looks like a big black bra and is easily detected like he mentioned.

But if I am carrying a large framed weapon, I would still select that type of carry over hip carry for the reasons mentioned. Smaller firearms would get hip carry or pocket carry. If you don't want to be too obvious, don't carry large framed guns.

I just didn't want us losing site of the OC aspect that the OP mentioned.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    To be honest, he did mention OC. I tend not to OC as the Vertical looks like a big black bra and is easily detected like he mentioned.

But if I am carrying a large framed weapon, I would still select that type of carry over hip carry for the reasons mentioned. Smaller firearms would get hip carry or pocket carry. If you don't want to be too obvious, don't carry large framed guns.

I just didn't want us losing site of the OC aspect that the OP mentioned.

Now I'm not so sure I completely agree. Although OCing with a shoulder holster in WalMart isn't exactly my style, I can see hiking, driving, and time in a national park (maybe not Gettysburg) as a bit more reasonable.

I guess I should stipulate that my aforementioned use of the shoulder holster was in Maryland, decades ago, and I was always on my property or hunting. I was never OCing that rig in public, and I can't see myself doing it today, but I did consider the OPs scenarios.

ETA: If the OP had said he was going to the movie theater, the mall, a town park, the grocery store, a family restaurant, etc, my advice would have been completely different.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; March 20th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I prefer belt holster, but admit that I have no experience with quality shoulder holsters. If I was going to be wearing a pack, I would try the pack on and see where a holster may or may not work for you.

I have a daypack with waist straps. It is not comfortable at all with a belt holster, but a shoulder rig would be nice.

(Montgomery County)

I rather frequently carry my Taurus 689 in a hip holster. It's really no trouble at all, to be honest.

This is the holster I use:
    http://www.simplyrugged.com/sourdough-pancake/

Now. I've found through experimentation that if you use the snap straps show in the IWB photos to hang the holster from your belt, instead of using the belt loops it becomes a whole new level of comfortable. Like this:

When getting in or out of a car, it isn't much to unsnap and take off the whole holster and put it somewhere more accessible like in-between the seat & console. Hip carry is a hell of a lot more inconspicuous than chest or shoulder carry even with a gun this large almost no-one ever notices it on my hip.

Additionally, the same company which I highly recommend makes a hip-to-shoulder conversion system, allowing you to use your hip holster on a chest rig.
    http://www.simplyrugged.com/chesty-p...ersion-system/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ByblosHex; March 20th, 2012 at 12:44 PM.

(Mercer County)

I have been using both the shoulder & crossdraw carry for heavy long barreled pistols. I have found both to be comfortable.

When using a cross draw holster the gun belt becomes more important than the holster for weight distribution
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast