Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default How do you keep your composure?

I'm usually a very calm, contemplative, and considerate person when it comes to discussions. I find I can usually keep that demeanor on these boards in the more "controversial" sections because I know that, at the very least, we all have our respect of the 2nd Amendment in common and that says a lot about a person.

But I find myself getting passionate very, very easily when talking to anti-gun types, especially online. I can get insulting and nasty, and it's something I'm not at all proud of.

I believe it comes from me truly viewing them as a kind of enemy. It's not just a difference of opinion. "I disagree that chocolate is the best flavor ice cream, I like vanilla" is a difference of opinion. "I believe your Constitutional and natural right to defend yourself and your family should be erased, and your lives laid at the whim of criminals and government" is a threat. Opinions are only opinions until they're put into practice, at which point someone suffers or dies because of it. If that's not aggression, what is?

It also boils my blood any time someone ignores or rapes the Constitution and these types do it willingly, prostrating themselves before government like subjects. I find it impossible to respect anti-2A people.

I've been told that only calm, rational logic can be used to fight gun-grabbers, but at what point do we say enough with the "kind, gentle" approach, and just unquestionably let them know that we're here, and we will not allow them to take our rights? By nature, most anti-2A types lie and utilize deception, or are at best soft-minded, so do some pro-2A people really think that antis will reciprocate this politeness when it comes time to seriously discuss legislation?

"Nice wars" don't work.

So I guess my question is, how do you all out there keep your composure and calm demeanor when debating with anti-2A people? Any particular mindset you adopt? Any "zen" way of looking at it? Or do you also view them as enemies?

(Adams County)

Default Re: How do you keep your composure?

Easy.

I picture the men who don't agree with me as morbidly obese men with potato chips and Dorito crumbs falling out of their mouths whenever they talk, and dicks so small they constantly piss on their balls when they take a leak.

The women who disagree with me, I picture as harpies so foul and disgusting that the men above wouldn't take money to bed them, even if they were able to find the wet spot.

Very hard to lose your composure with people so pitiful as they, huh??

All joking aside...it's the internet. I get pissy now and then like everyone else (then I'm the one eating Doritos or potato chips while pissing on my balls) but for the most part I understand that it's the internet, I don't need to be on a message board, and when it's not fun coming here anymore I'm free to leave and not come back. And with people I truly can't stomach (such as the 2A people on the places you frequent) I simply stop frequenting those places.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Clarion County)

I how can you respect someone so cowardly as not to even protect the things you love.They're reasoning isn't even sensible,like a lamb being lead to slauter willing.How can ignnorance prevail over survival or the love of one's family. It's very easy to understand your fustration when they have a choice
    thru education to become victors and not victoms even at the cost of there
    loved ones.
    I absolutely understand your feelings because not only do they choose to be helpless,they would render us helpless also with their blind faith in what the hell ever,they are the enemy!

I hear you when it comes to getting all hot and bothered in the face of serious opposition, especially when it comes to liberties and the RKBA.

I've come to accept the fact that the most eloquent speaker utilizing the most logical and empirically informed arguments will probably not change the minds of the most extreme anti-rights people. They have their minds made up, and no logic, data, nor analysis will get them to change their positions. Sometimes you'll even hear your opponent let the cat out of the bag and say something like, 'I don't care about your empirical studies or logic "games", I don't want anyone to have guns!' And then they froth at the mouth When that happens, the game is over.

What's important, though, is to change the minds of those folks who are on the fence of the issue, or just never thought about it much. I've come to conclude that about 5-10 percent of the population is at varying degrees ANTI-gun, about 10-15 percent of the population is pretty supportive of gun rights, and the rest of folks don't really care or are more preoccupied with what toppings they'll have on their pizza and what time happy hour starts.

Our job is to educate that large swath of middle-ground folks who don't know much about liberties and gun-rights and the 2nd Amendment. These folks have computers and they watch TV, so it behooves us (on the side in favor of liberty and gun-rights) to be cordial, well-spoken, well-prepared, and logical and well-informed. Let our opponents make fools of themselves when they scream and yell and lie, while we (the good guys) educate and make sense about the topic.

We need to be good teachers for Americans, and part of that job is to be civil and respectful.
    Last edited by American1776; March 19th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Last edited by LorDiego01; February 8th, 2016 at 01:59 PM.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lycoming County)

It sounds to me as if you are very passionate about different areas of your life that mean the most.

And it sounds as if you are patriotic and love your country due to the freedoms you have and, contrary to what some may say, this also is a good thing.

So I would never even try to quench that fire that burns deep down inside of you.

All you need to do is control it a little better.

Yes, you will get frustrated when talking to somebody that falls into one of those groups you mentioned.

So the two best things you can do are:

1) Calmly and politely express your beliefs and opinions in an esay to understand manner.
    Then if they continue and you know you may very well fall back into "obnoxious mode", end the conversaion politely by changing the subject.

2) Just don't go there or just don't start the conversaion.
    You know how they believe and you know deep down that you would only be speaking to hear yourself talk because they are not only not going to accept what you say but they will be the one in "obnoxious mode."

You know how those people are that get your blood boiling and you know no matter what you say it will not change how they think or how they are.

But, keep those fires burnning - there will come a point when it is truly needed!
    (You will know them when you are there.)

Just some thoughts ...

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

I know how you feel about trying to keep composure when people aren't arguing against something you firmly believe in. Usually, especially on the internet, I find it's easier to just walk away and ignore it. As is said frequently on here, don't feed the trolls.

In person is a different story, and I feel like a lot of times walking away from someone arguing against you feels a lot like losing, at will only make the person arguing against you think they 'won' and that their side is correct. If I can tell it's just to instigate, I will just walk away, but if they seem genuinely interested in a debate/conversation, I'll try my best to have a calm discussion.

One trick that I think works best in both internet and real life debates is to stick only to facts. If they start spewing off statistics, ask them to prove it, and counter with your own facts, ideally supported by sources. Once the other side breaks down about you proving everything they say is a lie, they'll usually start going for the low-blows, like name calling and lots of yelling (or caps-lock). That's when it's time to be the better person and walk away.

Just remember that the person intent on yelling isn't the one who you are trying to win over, but the other people who may be around to hear or read the debate. If you're listening in on a conversation who would you side with, the person calming stating real facts or the person yelling loudly that the other person is wrong despite having no evidence to prove it?

(Delaware County)

It's pretty easy to get annoyed with sheep.

There are two or three people in my entire office that aren't mouthbreathing, ballpissing libtards when it comes to gun rights.

Sometimes I leave my earbud headphones in, but not plugged into anything, as makeshift earplugs when the fools come out to play.

Thankfully I'm allowed to wear headphones at work.

(Delaware County)

I'm with ya friend........I spent the last 10years fighting in the Marine Corps for those rights that we have.
    I was at the recruiters office a week after 9-11-01 and asked him where i sign on the line. I am also very passionate about our rights and can't stand misinformed morons.

i read this a week ago:

"if i mean you harm, trying to disarm me (taking away my rights) is going to do you no good. If i don't mean you harm trying to disarm me is not going to make you any safer."

makes perfect sense

(Lehigh County)

If all else fails, just smile and nod your head while thinking, " God you're an
    f*(%ing idiot."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast