Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default My first MWAG - positive encounter

On Saturday I went with my girlfriend to Grove City while she visited some of her friends. I brought along a stack of papers from work to read and edit and went to a nearby park. I was there for about an hour sitting on a park bench while OC when I saw a sheriff drive around, then a second one pulled in and they eventually came over to me.

Sheriff 1: good afternoon, how are you?
    Me: I'm ok, just enjoying the weather, you?
    Sheriff 1: I just wanted to stop by and make contact with you because we received a call about someone with a gun in the park. Since you're obviously not causing a disturbance we're all good here, enjoy your day sir.

Sheriff 2 never said a word, he just hung back 10-15 feet.

Just as the sheriff's cars were pulling out, an unmarked police cruiser pulled in. They walked over to him, talked for a minute, then they all left.

I thought for sure I was in for a hard time, but that was about as perfect as it gets... no requests for name, ID, nada.

Thumbs up for those guys!
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: My first MWAG - positive encounter

Beautiful encounter with the sheriff - too bad you scared a sheep.
    MikeP

(Cumberland County)

Well handled on both ends.

In their defense, they need to check the situation out. You could be some nut job about to shoot the place up. No doubt, this was the reason they send more than one officer to the scene.

It sounds like the recent hoopla re: Viper and Philly is making a difference - at least we can hope.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Northampton County)

I would say good job/good encounter. The cop responded to the call without harassing or trampling the rights of the OCer. It seems he knows the law on OC. We need more cops like this guy.

(Montgomery County)

Good encounter. Sounds almost exactly like my encounter with the Hatboro PD. Need more LEO agencies to behave this way. They treat us as if we're on the same side, and we'll treat them the same way.

(Butler County)

Good encounter compared to what might have happened.

JMO, the sheriff should have just done a drive by. There's no real reason for him to make contact.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Good encounter compared to what might have happened.

JMO, the sheriff should have just done a drive by. There's no real reason for him to make contact.
    My thoughts exactly. Why cant they just observe you doing nothing wrong and be on their way.

Maybe I'll just start walking up to every cop I see, "hello sir, how you doing? Just wanted to make sure everything was ok"

Pretty stupid right..
    and to the dust you shall return

Quote Originally Posted by JTokash View Post
    On Saturday I went with my girlfriend to Grove City while she visited some of her friends. I brought along a stack of papers from work to read and edit and went to a nearby park. I was there for about an hour sitting on a park bench while OC when I saw a sheriff drive around, then a second one pulled in and they eventually came over to me.

Sheriff 1: good afternoon, how are you?
    Me: I'm ok, just enjoying the weather, you?
    Sheriff 1: I just wanted to stop by and make contact with you because we received a call about someone with a gun in the park. Since you're obviously not causing a disturbance we're all good here, enjoy your day sir.

Sheriff 2 never said a word, he just hung back 10-15 feet.

Just as the sheriff's cars were pulling out, an unmarked police cruiser pulled in. They walked over to him, talked for a minute, then they all left.

I thought for sure I was in for a hard time, but that was about as perfect as it gets... no requests for name, ID, nada.

Thumbs up for those guys!

Wow! No THAT is the way it should be! Congrats!

I know some would rather the sheriff not make contact, but in this case, I'll give him a pass. ASSuming the "caller" was still watching, the Sheriff showed his concern to the "caller" by talking to him, while still respecting the rights of the carrier.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Luzerne County)

Probably as good as a MWAG encounter could go. I agree, they had to investigate the call. Good contact on both sides.

(Monroe County)

As far as Im concerned, that went great! Yes some say the sheriff shouldnt have made contact blah blah... But in the end, they said hello and goodbye without EVER asking for ID or even asking for a NAME and the whole NON encounter was over in what? 90 seconds?

Thumbs up to the officers who showed up for handling it as well as they did. Although it would be nice to not have ANYONE show up for someone OCing. Until that day comes, Ill settle for a hello/goodbye encounter,

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast