Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found treasure.

(Clarion County)

Default Found treasure.

I had a close friend working on a clean up crew in North Carolina from all the storm damage.While cleaning up ,he found a Glock 40. He was wandering if legaly he could keep it or have to do a search in that county.He hasn't done anything with it yet but wanted to sell it to me. I took down serial no. and am trying to get info but so far,it's not showing up as missing anywhere.
    What next and if I here nothing back can I legally keep it ?this was going on three years ago.

(Adams County)

Default Re: Found treasure.

If I had a guess, it would be "no".

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Bucks County)

A person with scruples would do what we all know to be right. Find the owner. Note: I didn't say gift it a police officer and have it find it's way into his private collection.
    That being said, here is the other take on the issue. Let's suppose the gun was found by an individual who is awake and aware that we have some very anti-gun, anti-freedom, America hating, communists in power right now. And let's suppose that our hero knows what is coming in the very near future. I'd bet he would squirrel that gun away, buy a buttload of ammo for it, and keep his mouth shut.

(Bucks County)

Considering the high probability that it's on a lost/stolen database, I'd stay as far away from that as possible.

Anyway if my house was destroyed from a natural disaster, and a cleanup crew found one of my guns, I'd sure hope they do the right thing and try to find it's rightful owner.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I'd bet he would squirrel that gun away, buy a buttload of ammo for it, and keep his mouth shut.
    At the point where you are shooting people during the "revolution" I don't think you are going to care if said weapon is papered to you or not. You've crossed that line a ways back. Just sayin.

OP - no. No scenario anyone will come up with here ends up with you keeping that gun legally. It will end up in an evidence room until a cop "borrows it" or it gets melted down.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Lehigh County)

I would argue that if that if the gun comes back clean, as in not used in a crime, and no legitimate owner has come forward, you could file to take possesion. That is if, and only if, you've meticulously followed the law. Otherwise, the gun isn't worth the "price".
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Lycoming County)

I understand this was not in PA, but here, if an item was found, the "finder" must make "reasonable measures" to return the property to the owner;

§ 3924. Theft of property lost, mislaid, or delivered by mistake

A person who comes into control of property of another that he knows to have been lost, mislaid, or delivered under a mistake as to the nature or amount of the property or the identity of the recipient is guilty of theft if, with intent to deprive the owner thereof, he fails to take reasonable measures to restore the property to a person entitled to have it.

Failure to comply may result in criminal charges.

Be safe (and here in PA, often the finder is the weeper).

Scott

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    I understand this was not in PA, but here, if an item was found, the "finder" must make "reasonable measures" to return the property to the owner;

§ 3924. Theft of property lost, mislaid, or delivered by mistake

A person who comes into control of property of another that he knows to have been lost, mislaid, or delivered under a mistake as to the nature or amount of the property or the identity of the recipient is guilty of theft if, with intent to deprive the owner thereof, he fails to take reasonable measures to restore the property to a person entitled to have it.

Failure to comply may result in criminal charges.

Be safe (and here in PA, often the finder is the weeper).

Scott
    Not only that but how is your friend legally going to sell it to you through an FFL? It can not change hands with cash and be legal otherwise so either way you'd be in the wrong.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    At the point where you are shooting people during the "revolution" I don't think you are going to care if said weapon is papered to you or not. You've crossed that line a ways back. Just sayin.

OP - no. No scenario anyone will come up with here ends up with you keeping that gun legally. It will end up in an evidence room until a cop "borrows it" or it gets melted down.
    Or, if you are in Warminster: they just fire 70-200 shots at a kid and hit him 6 times IN THEE BACK and then they plant it on him after he stops breathing. Oh wait, never mind. Warminster cops plant toy guns on the kids they kill. Either way, the kid definitely pointed it at them! That's what they all testify to, no matter what the other witnesses saw.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post

Ah, but when they come for your guns, you'll have one less to answer for.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast