Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the point of the non Res

I'm 500 miles away but frequently visit PA. What is the point of the non res. License? My state license is honored in your state. Because I am in the state quite often, is there any benifit to having the non res?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: What is the point of the non Res

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierGunner View Post
    I'm 500 miles away but frequently visit PA. What is the point of the non res. License? My state license is honored in your state. Because I am in the state quite often, is there any benifit to having the non res?
    Technically, in PA, there is no such thing as a "non-resident license". Licences are issued to non-residents that meet the statutory qualifications, but it is essentially the same license.

The main reason to have one is that to be exempt from federally established "gun free school zones" (1000' surrounding school grounds), you must be licensed "by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license".

This means that while reciprocally recognized by our state, your home-state license offers you no protection from the federal prohibition.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Further, PA does not recognize every state's licenses/permits. Yours may be good to go -- others are not.

But that school zone thing is a biggie, especially if you are in more settled areas.

(Philadelphia County)

Your Indiana license is valid in PA via reciprocity but Indiana does not have reciprocity with Ohio and if you are presumably driving from Indiana to PA through Ohio then you would need a non resident license that is also valid in Ohio. Your best bet would be a Utah, Arizona, or Florida non resident license. All three permits are valid in PA as well as Ohio.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    Your Indiana license is valid in PA via reciprocity but Indiana does not have reciprocity with Ohio and if you are presumably driving from Indiana to PA through Ohio then you would need a non resident license that is also valid in Ohio. Your best bet would be a Utah, Arizona, or Florida non resident license. All three permits are valid in PA as well as Ohio.

You don't need an Ohio-recognized license/permit simply to drive through Ohio, providing your transport is consistent with FOPA. I'm betting this is what you meant.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

From what you tell me, it would be a good thing to have. Just getting pulled over and just happen to be in front of a school could very easily be in violation.
    So, can you carry on school grounds with this Lic.? In my state, only the operater of the vehicle can be in possesion of the firearm, but you may not exit the vehicle. Dropoff and pick up only.

(Chester County)

From what you tell me, it would be a good thing to have. Just getting pulled over and just happen to be in front of a school could very easily be in violation.
    So, can you carry on school grounds with this Lic.? In my state, only the operater of the vehicle can be in possesion of the firearm, but you may not exit the vehicle. Dropoff and pick up only.
    No - there is a separate state law (18 Pa CS 912) that prohibits possession on school grounds. There is an exception for 'lawful purpose' but what that encompasses is not settled law and I would not recommend testing it.

The Pa LTCF would give you exception from the Federal school zone which, in addition to on grounds, encompasses a 1000 foot safety perimeter on the outside of the grounds. In 2002 BATFE issued a letter interpretation that the exception only applies to people licensed directly by the state that hosts the school as opposed to reciprocated licenses. There is no case law which corroborates the BATFE position and, indeed in all the cases I could find, the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act [GFSZA](18 USC 922(q)) is never charged absent some other crime - it's a 'pile on' charge.

Personally I can't get too upset about 922(q) as long as I had a reciprocated license but there is a non-zero risk involved. Many other laws and legislation run afoul of 922(q) in that a stringent application of the GFSZA essential thwarts the purpose of LEOSA, state reciprocities, constitutional carry states, in-state off duty LEOS as well as the pending 'National Reciprocity' (HB822/SB2188). Sooner or later a court will have to resolve the conflicts to the detriment and hopefully demise of 922(q).
    Last edited by tl_3237; March 18th, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
    IANAL

(Bradford County)

It's good for people from states whose permits are not recognized. I live right on the border of NY and PA, and because NY sucks and doesn't recognize any other states' permits, states like PA won't recognize NY's. I own a business in PA, so it would stink to not be able to carry in PA.

Hopefully the senate vote on reciprocity goes better this time around.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    You don't need an Ohio-recognized license/permit simply to drive through Ohio, providing your transport is consistent with FOPA. I'm betting this is what you meant.
    What I was implying is that with an Utah, AZ, or FL permit he could legally CC through Ohio also.

(Franklin County)

What I was implying is that with an Utah, AZ, or FL permit he could legally CC through Ohio also.
    But that's not what you said.
    if you are presumably driving from Indiana to PA through Ohio then you would need a non resident license that is also valid in Ohio
    Your statement is incorrect in that you do NOT need an OH reciprocal license to "drive through" OH (which Curmudgeon accurately noted).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast