Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Dropped off LTCF renewal app, not too pleased with ChesCo Sheriff staff attitude.

I've always had only good things to say about Sheriff Welsh and her staff, but yesterday that changed after taking my LTCF application in for a renewal.

I arrived at the desk to turn in the application at 4:10. Someone asked if they could help, and I told them why I was there. Someone else behind another desk chimed in and said "You just made it, I hope you already have the form filled out" My initial thought was, just made it for what? You closing up shop 20 minutes early? That person then told the guy who first spoke to me to go ahead and take the application (gee, thanks for the favor).

Dude one looked over the app and said I needed to put in my SS#, sign and date it. I signed and dated it, but told him I believe the SS# is optional (which it clearly states on the application itself) and prefered not to. He said "yes, it's optional, but we ask you to put it down to avoid any misidentification".

I replied, "But it's still optional, right", He agreed, but threw in something about how not having it might slow down the process. So again I said I prefer not to so he moved on without pressing the issue any further, but now I'm wondering if I just got my app put on the naughty list for refusing to do as I was "asked".

Next came a few questions about where my references and I live. He must have seen the puzzled look on my face as I looked at the app, then at him, then at the app again because before I could respond, he rephrased the question asking what County and Township they lived in. This was my bad, because when I looked at my app after he asked the question, I saw that I didn't put down the city and zip, and although my references live on my street I suppose he may not have noticed. So even though the app instructions for ChesCo state they don't have to be county residents, I thought it was a legitimate question.

All in all, it sounds like it was still a much smoother transaction than some of you folks have to deal with in your counties, but I guess I've been spoiled by how efficient and cordial Sheriff Welsh's department has always been any time I've dealt with them in the past, so I was taken back a bit by what I perceived as an attitude by a couple guys hoping to clock out a little early. I guess I'll know in 45 days or less just how annoyed they were with me for coming in right before quitting time.
    Last edited by str8shooter; March 14th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Dropped off LTCF renewal app, not too pleased with ChesCo Sheriff staff attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    .... I guess I'll know in 45 days or less just how annoyed they were with me for coming in right before quitting time.
    Huh? My renewal in Centre Co. was done while I waited and took about 10 minutes.

Default Re: Dropped off LTCF renewal app, not too pleased with ChesCo Sheriff staff attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    Huh? My renewal in Centre Co. was done while I waited and took about 10 minutes.
    same in Montco, and i arrived 10 minutes before they closed. They ran the background check while i was filling out the app.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post
    same in Montco, and i arrived 10 minutes before they closed. They ran the background check while i was filling out the app.
    I've read there are several counties that have while you wait service. ChesCo usually takes about 3 weeks, but they send a DL style card along with the paper license in the mail so I don't have to go pick it up, which I've read several counties make you do that too.

(Dauphin County)

I've read there are several counties that have while you wait service. ChesCo usually takes about 3 weeks, but they send a DL style card along with the paper license in the mail so I don't have to go pick it up, which I've read several counties make you do that too.
    Dauphin makes you show up in person to apply, then wait two weeks to come back in person to pick it up.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Lehigh County)

Next came a few questions about where my references and I live. He must have seen the puzzled look on my face as I looked at the app, then at him, then at the app again because before I could respond, he rephrased the question asking what County and Township they lived in. This was my bad, because when I looked at my app after he asked the question, I saw that I didn't put down the city and zip, and although my references live on my street I suppose he may not have noticed. So even though the app instructions for ChesCo state they don't have to be county residents, I thought it was a legitimate question.
    I have to disagree with that, references aren't even a legal requirement in the first place and any questions about ones that you choose to list are absurd and illegitimate.

It's quite arguably a FELONY for the Sheriffs to force you to involve two other people in your application process due to the confidentiality of the application and information.

(York County)

York county Sheriff's office could not have been nicer or more professional.
    In an out in less than 15 minutes. Other than going having to go down town, it was a very nice expirence.
    RIP -The US constitution.

(Delaware County)

Must be nice. My initial license in DELCO took 52 days, I got my Utah permit in less time, and DELCO insists it's 45 business days.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post
    Was that after you had your police check card filled out? Did you include the time that took in your 10 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Dauphin makes you show up in person to apply, then wait two weeks to come back in person to pick it up.
    DELCO makes you apply and pick up in person, time frame varies. My renewal only took 32 days.

(Chester County)

OP:

Were you packing when you went there? If so, how did the firearm check procedure work?
    IANAL

(Indiana County)

Was able to fill out my Indiana County application on-line and then print it out. Dropped off my handgun at the court house entrance (three minutes, max). Took all of maybe ten minutes (five of them waiting in line) to complete the transaction at the sheriff's office at the county court house. The sheriff himself said "Hi" as he passed by. Picked up my handgun exiting the courthouse. Everyone friendly, no muss, no fuss.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast