Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Venango County)

Default State Agency's ability to regulate firearms

In my town we have a large multi-building facility that is owned and operated by the PA dept. of public welfare. Located in this facility is the only ATM in town, this is really the only reason I go here. This ATM is open to the general public. Upon entering the grounds of the facility, there is a sign with a few rules on it, one of them states "no weapons". I understand that PA agencies used to be able to make their own rules like this. Now with the Castle Doctrine including the following changes, are these rules still valid?

§ 6109. Licenses.
    (m.3) Construction.--Nothing in this section shall be construed to [permit]:
    (2) Authorize any Commonwealth agency to regulate the possession of firearms in any manner inconsistent with the provisions of this title.

(Washington County)

Default Re: State Agency's ability to regulate firearms

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. However, regardless of what you find out, and you can not avoid going there, I'd carry anyway. Between the risk of using an ATM and the short amount of time being there I'd risk it (or NOT risk it depending how you look at it).

Hopefully you get the actual "right" answer to put your mind at ease.

(York County)

Can you give us an inventory of the buildings, departments, etc, that share these grounds? Are there any federal buildings? Any Courthouses? Any detention facilities?

On it's face, your post suggests that someone is overstepping their legal authority and, as with local parks, can be addressed and corrected. But the devil is in the details, and knowing exactly what those grounds encompasses will be helpful in determining how to proceed.

Example: The County of York has a "multi-use" facility that bans weapons, but this building has court rooms and a detention facility, so they set up a security point at the entrance, x-ray, armed officers, the whole bit. They also have lockers for storing the firearms of visitors. So the whole thing is legal.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; March 15th, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Washington County)

[QUOTE=Curmudgeon;1935895]Can you give us an inventory of the buildings, departments, etc, that share these grounds? Are there any federal buildings? Any Courthouses? Any detention facilities?

On it's face, your post suggests that someone is overstepping their legal authority and, as with local parks, can be addressed and corrected. But the devil is in the details, and knowing exactly what those grounds encompasses will be helpful in determining how to proceed.

Example: The County of York has a "multi-use" facility that bans weapons, but this building has court rooms and a detention facility, so they set up a security point at the entrance, magnetron, armed officers, the whole bit. They also have lockers for storing the firearms of visitors. So the whole thing is legal.[/QUOTE]

If this is the case I DO NOT recommend my previous advice. If it's as simple as pull up, use the ATM and drive off, I stand by my previous advice.

(Venango County)

It is a care facility for patients with mental retardation. There are no other uses such as Federal buildings or detention centers, unless this whole place meets the definition of detention center, but I doubt it does. http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/foradults...nter/index.htm

(Wyoming County)

Just a thought and not a conclusion. Most state office space throughout the state is leased and not owned...if the no firearms policy is the owners policy (whether or not the state requested it)...it should hold water. Ain't or no?

(Venango County)

This is definitely state owned land and not leased. They were 100% able to do this up until the Castle Doctrine law passed, and the sign has been there for years. I just heard about someone getting yelled at during hunting season by a staffer.