Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Clip Draw question

I`m sure there is a thread somewhere adddressing this but damn if I can find it. Anyway. I want to experiment with a Clip Draw devise for my LCR. The only one I found that will work is their Universal one which uses tape to fasten the base on the side of the firearm. It needs a 1\4 x 2 3\4 inch space, which my LCR has on the right side but, it will cover the serial number.

Now, is covering the serial number on a firearm illegal? I know some laser sights cover it but they are fastened by screws, this would be attached with tape and can be removed but I`m wondering what legal issues if any could come up and where I can find an answer.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Clip Draw question

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
    I`m sure there is a thread somewhere adddressing this but damn if I can find it. Anyway. I want to experiment with a Clip Draw devise for my LCR. The only one I found that will work is their Universal one which uses tape to fasten the base on the side of the firearm. It needs a 1\4 x 2 3\4 inch space, which my LCR has on the right side but, it will cover the serial number.

Now, is covering the serial number on a firearm illegal? I know some laser sights cover it but they are fastened by screws, this would be attached with tape and can be removed but I`m wondering what legal issues if any could come up and where I can find an answer.
    Should not be a problem. Both Federal (18 USC 922(k)) and state (18 Pa CS 6110.2) statutes prohibit altering, obliterating or removing the s/n. Covering without physically altering the s/n would not be a violation.
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

Here is the statute, you can interpret it for yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Pa.C.S. § 6110.2: Possession of firearm with altered manufacturer's number
    (a) General rule.--No person shall possess a firearm which has had the manufacturer's number integral to the frame or receiver altered, changed, removed or obliterated.
    (b) Penalty.--A person who violates this section commits a felony of the second degree.
    (c) Definition.--As used in this section, the term "firearm" shall have the same meaning as that term is defined in section 6105(i) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms), except that the term shall not include antique firearms as defined in section 6118 (relating to antique firearms).
    As for the clip draw, how do you plan to keep the trigger guard covered? Also, do you feel that the tape is secure enough to trust your life to?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Here is the statute, you can interpret it for yourself:

As for the clip draw, how do you plan to keep the trigger guard covered? Also, do you feel that the tape is secure enough to trust your life to?
    The trigger would be covered with my clothing. I normally pocket carry it in a pocket carry holster which conceals very well and does offer trigger protection. With or without the pocket carry holster, the danger of an unintentional discharge would be when presenting the weapon, and that is the issue with any holster. Also, it is a revolver DA only and has a much stronger trigger pull than say a semi.

As far as the tape. I want to try it because it offers another carry option for us CC people.

Do I trust my life with it...even experimenting? Absolutely, at the least, I have tape that fails, and the gun falls in my pants just when I NEED to present my weapon. Not likely to happen but, i will at the least HAVE my weapon.

(Montgomery County)

I am considered by some on here as having the lowest standards for personal protection and I have to say I feel that the clip draw device in inadequate based on the fact that it does not cover the trigger guard. Clothes do not offer trigger guard protection. Dozens of people shoot themselves every year precisely because they did not have a holster for trigger guard protection. I would take a pocket carry holster over this clip draw device any day of the week even with a DA revolver.

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: Clip Draw question

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    ..I feel that the clip draw device in inadequate based on the fact that it does not cover the trigger guard.
    +10, that was my first thought, no trigger protection.

(Butler County)

i carried with the clip for about 2 years. My gun had a safety and I felt comfortable carrying it that way.

My Kahr CW9 has no external safety and I would not carry this gun without a holster.

To each his own.

BTW, the tape is very secure. You have to pry the clip off with a thin metal object once it's in place.

I'll attest to the tape being excellent. I use a clip draw on my surefire as a pocket clip (it's a really good clip and much better than the factory one)

That being said, It's a dismal way to carry a gun. If you really want a minimalist holster for your LCR, Raven Concealment makes something called the Vanguard (which can be used with the clip draw to provide trigger protection), and will shortly be out with the Vanguard 2 for your pistol (i suggest you wait for it) which adds a belt loop to the original vanguard design.
    Last edited by vicious; March 14th, 2012 at 03:37 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    I am considered by some on here as having the lowest standards for personal protection and I have to say I feel that the clip draw device in inadequate based on the fact that it does not cover the trigger guard. Clothes do not offer trigger guard protection. Dozens of people shoot themselves every year precisely because they did not have a holster for trigger guard protection. I would take a pocket carry holster over this clip draw device any day of the week even with a DA revolver.
    +1

I also consider these clip "holsters" to be fundamentally flawed as they provide no trigger guard protection.

I carry my LCP in either a pocket holster (DeSantis Nemisis) or a IWB holster (Crossbreed MiniTuck).

I don't see covering the serial number as being a issue as long as whatever covering it can be removed without damaging the number. I had one that was right below the accessory rail. Installing anything on the rail would cover the SN.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
    Do I trust my life with it...even experimenting? Absolutely, at the least, I have tape that fails, and the gun falls in my pants just when I NEED to present my weapon. Not likely to happen but, i will at the least HAVE my weapon.
    I was more referring to the possibility of a negligent discharge from the tape failing than having the gun fall down your pants at the exact moment you need it. If the tape fails, the gun could either fall down your pants or completely fall out, both of which would result in handling the weapon, which has no trigger guard protection. Just doesn't seem like a safe combination.

Admittedly I have no experience with that particular tape, and maybe it's fine, but I'm just trying to provoke thought. I personally wouldn't trust any double-sided tape with my life, but that's just me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast