Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Mossberg MVP Range Report

So I took my Mossberg MVP that I picked up recently to the range to break her in and get a feel for the rifle.

Ergonomics of the rifle are good, and the texturing on the grip gives a good positive grip, a recoil pad on the end also helps cushion and being as the rifle is only 5.56/.223 you can keep the scope on target the whole time.

The trigger is adjustable, I left mine where it was set at from the factory, feels around 3-3.5. Now I'm not saying it is the best trigger I have come across, but it breaks cleanly and crisply everytime. No slack or creep.

The best part about the rifle is it's 5.56 chambering, so I just loaded up with my AR's M855 and hit the range. Even with surplus ammo, the rifle shot consistant, granted I could only get to Classic Pistol and shoot at 25 yards, but I'll take putting 3 rounds consistantly in the same hole as a good sign for things to come at further distances.

After some slow paced shooting I decided to see how she did after getting heated up. Loaded up some 20 round mags and did some multiple engagement drills. Even after heating up the barrel POA/POI remained the same.

The bolt of the rifle is spiral fluted which in most cases reduces friction, I see this as a non-issue as once the bolt is worked rearward in the receiver it has some wiggle room. It does lock up very positively though, so again another non-issue.

I did also use another type of ammo for those with 5.56 rifles from a site called Law Tactical. I purchased some of the LT CQT frangible ammo, this was mostly to use as a home defense round for my AR and to try out on some coyotes that bother the in laws chickens. Once I manage to bag a coyote or other varmint with this round I'll do a write up on it as well. But this is match grade ammo, built to very specific specs. It says it is optimized for 1:7 twist barrels but the 1:9 24" barrel on my MVP rifle handled it just fine, and it work as was expected of match grade ammo.

Now that the weather is getting better I hope to get out to a range where I can really stretch the rifles legs and I'll get back with a good accuracy test, hopefully out to distances of 300 yards.
    Last edited by echo5echo; March 14th, 2012 at 11:29 AM.

Default Re: Mossberg MVP Range Report

Sonds good so far. Let us know a little more once you stretch her legs a bit.