Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Standing my ground

I know there have been various threads for this topic but really needed insight on my situation and really didnt want to be lost in the other,older threads..My soon to be wife refuses to accept the fact that I carry a gun 24/7..Her thoughts are if God wants to take me,so be it...Of course mine are different...God gave me a brain and tools to defend myself and others(the Bible also offers acceptance of self defense)..Yesterday she made a smart ass comment about my gun after I took it off to shower.Im at the end it seems in convincing her its ok since she herself held an Arizona license in the past..Hypocrite it seems...grrrrrrr!!!...Any thoughts?
    Glock 27 Glock 22

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Standing my ground

Also it's pretty lame that she antagonizes you for carrying. Maybe you should "accidentally" slip it in her butt next time you guys are in bed.

"Her thoughts are if God wants to take me,so be it"

Sounds alot like the people that claim abortion should be illegal in all cases and women should be forced to carry a rapists child because its a "gift from god".

I've never figured out what to say to these people. Sorry bud.

(Dauphin County)

My best advice would be to find something that she does that you dislike but don't bother her about because you intend to marry her and accept her for who she is because you love her rather than rag on her for something you find different or disagreeable and bring it up to her that you don't harass her about her ________ and that it would be lovely if she could return the favor.

Personally, I couldn't live with someone who accepts death so easily as you described.

/.02 bits

If that is how she wants to rely on God then I would ask how she feels about living without health insurance, car insurance, homeowners/renters insurance, locking doors at night or anytime she leaves home.

If something bad happens as a result of any of these it is God's will right? If she is really into her faith maybe a reminder of biblical submission of a wife might be in order as well (looking to the future), but when you do so make sure you are loving her as Christ loved the church.
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by xtcalls View Post
    I know there have been various threads for this topic but really needed insight on my situation and really didnt want to be lost in the other,older threads..My soon to be wife refuses to accept the fact that I carry a gun 24/7..Her thoughts are if God wants to take me,so be it...Of course mine are different...God gave me a brain and tools to defend myself and others(the Bible also offers acceptance of self defense)..Yesterday she made a smart ass comment about my gun after I took it off to shower.Im at the end it seems in convincing her its ok since she herself held an Arizona license in the past..Hypocrite it seems...grrrrrrr!!!...Any thoughts?
    Tell her that God may want you to carry a gun. In fact Jesus said to his disciples, [Luke 22:36] Then said He unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. -Jesus Christ. God's will is only manifest in our lives when we allow it to be. Take Hezekiah for example. Even though God's angel slew the Assyrian army, Hezekiah still trained and armed his men for war. God may not have taken the battlefield on their behalf if they had not put fourth their own efforts. Now since Jesus has and the word of God has already told us to arm ourselves if we decide to go against that then we are are not living according to God's word. Jesus told Peter to but his sword back in it's scabbard, not that he should discard it.
    Last edited by ByblosHex; March 14th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.

(Monroe County)

THE MAN ON THE ROOF
    A man was trapped on his rooftop by the rising waters of a flood.
    A fellow came over in a rowboat and called to the man, “Hop into my boat! I’ll save you!”
    The stranded man refused, saying, “No – God will save me!”

The water rose to the man’s knees, and along came a rescuer in a
    motorboat. “Get in my boat! I’ll save you!” cried the boater.
    “No!” the man on the roof replied. “God will save me!”

Soon after, the water was up to the man’s chest. Now came a helicopter with a sling suspended from it. “Grab onto the sling!” called the pilot.“I’ll pull you up and save you!”
    As the man called, “No, God will save me!” a wave swept him off the roof and he drowned.

As he entered into heaven, God greeted him, saying, “Welcome to heaven! Glad to see you! Before I show you around and introduce you to some of the angels, do you have any questions?”“
    Well, yes Sir, as a matter of fact I do have one question.” the man replied. “There I was, stranded on my roof, with flood waters rising all around me! Why didn’t you save me?

”“Well!” replied God. “I sent you two boats and a helicopter! What more did you want?”

Sometimes God provides the tools.

That being said maybe you need to refine some of your other defense and awareness skills. I personally do not feel I'm defenseless when not armed.

(Washington County)

I'd think hard about entering into a supposedly life-long relationship with someone who treated any of my views like that regardless if it had to do with carrying a firearm or some other subject.

(York County)

Just curious, but, referencing the part I bolded, are planning to have any children with this woman? Does she feel the same way about God taking them? Or God taking you?

For me, should this go unresolved, this would be a deal-breaker. You have some work to do here, and I wish you good luck. I cannot imagine trying to build a family with someone who harbors such disregard about personal defense. It seems time is of the essence here.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; March 14th, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

If man has free will then murder has nothing to do with God's involvement. The assailant chose to kill and the victim is dead; end of story.

If not, then she too must be nothing other than God's puppet and her defense of herself in possibly killing her attacker is God taking her assailant. Her refusal to allow you to do as you are, according to her, guided by God's will, is actually interfering in God's plan.

Either way, I think her line of thought is missing the mark.

Try this one on her: the existence of God requires the existence of something that is not God, I.e., completely independent of God and control by God. If man believes in the existence of God, then man must accept his independence from God. Accepting the existence of God requires accepting the full measure of man's free will, otherwise God does not exist.

What? You take your gun off to shower???

Seriously, I'd stand my ground too. This can be a good lesson for you. Is it something that the two of you can ultimately work out, or not? If yes, then there's a good chance you can solve life's other difficulties. If not, there's a tough road ahead.

Like others here, I don't buy the "if God wants to take me, so be it" argument either. Then she doesn't need a life insurance policy on you right, because if God wants her to be poor, so be it.

Yes, God gave you a brain. He gave her one too. I'd dig and dig until I found out why she was against it. Is there some deep seated fear, or is she trying to be politically correct? It is very important to get to the bottom of it.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast