Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Why do people stock pile ammunition? How much is too much in terms of ammunition?

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    Since the 1970's I've managed to maintain approximately 1000 rds of each caliber I own, and consider that borderline excessive.
    This ain't Khe Sanh, mofo's.
    It has nothing to do with fighting a war. You must not shoot very much.

I keep pretty detailed records of everything I shoot through every centerfire gun I have. Since July of 2018, I have averaged just under 1000 rds a month, mostly 9mm and .223.

Anyway, for people that regularly shoot, not only is 1000 rounds not excessive, it's nowhere near what you should have, unless youre ok with not shooting for a year when the ammo supply goes away. Instead of running out of ammo last April, I'll be able to keep shooting for quite some time.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Why do people stock pile ammunition? How much is too much in terms of ammunition?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HRoark View Post

I keep pretty detailed records of everything I shoot through every centerfire gun I have. Since July of 2018, I have averaged just under 1000 rds a month, mostly 9mm and .223.

Anyway, for people that regularly shoot, not only is 1000 rounds not excessive, it's nowhere near what you should have, unless youre ok with not shooting for a year when the ammo supply goes away. Instead of running out of ammo last April, I'll be able to keep shooting for quite some time.
    I can not agree with this more. last 2 range visits we blew through about 800 9mm. I got some good advice the other day. a member here told me to only bring 200 rounds to the range each time, because if you bring more, you will probably shoot it..I have a few k's but that won't last me a year unless I start shooting more of different calibers..for me, I think a comfortable number would be closer to 10k of each caliber..

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    What's funny is some of the gun youtubers complaining about being short on ammo when they of all people should have been stocked up to the gills.
    Ha. Yeah, there was one that made a video about how he drove to stores for over 2 hours just to buy a box.

I've got a workbook that covers 5 tabs to document mine.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

I kind of have a rule: if you bring it you shoot it.
    So yea, limiting what I bring will probably be in the cards from now on.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Luzerne County)

A thousand rounds a month my not be excessive but it is sure a lot
    I have been shooting Bullseye pistol for the last 25 years I practice twice a week and shoot at least 40 matches a year.
    I have never shot more than 100 rounds in a practice session...more often it*ll be 50-75. I take my time and most of my practice is devoted to slowfire on the *long line* (50 yards when outdoors).
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    A thousand rounds a month my not be excessive but it is sure a lot
    I have been shooting Bullseye pistol for the last 25 years I practice twice a week and shoot at least 40 matches a year.
    I have never shot more than 100 rounds in a practice session...more often it*ll be 50-75. I take my time and most of my practice is devoted to slowfire on the *long line* (50 yards when outdoors).
    Practicing only one thing makes it a little easier.

You've covered the slow fire marksmanship at distance. Now throw in some reloading practice. First shots from draw on the timer. Run a couple fast drills or el prez drills to see where your progress is, maybe even a dot torture to help decide what you'll concentrate on this range trip. Practice some shooting while moving. Do a couple drills concentrating on improving split times. Bring your rifle and do the same stuff with it. Back to using up some more 9mm when working transitions from long gun (after reloading with long gun practice).

It adds up.

(Bucks County)

Practicing only one thing makes it a little easier.

You've covered the slow fire marksmanship at distance. Now throw in some reloading practice. First shots from draw on the timer. Run a couple fast drills or el prez drills to see where your progress is, maybe even a dot torture to help decide what you'll concentrate on this range trip. Practice some shooting while moving. Do a couple drills concentrating on improving split times. Bring your rifle and do the same stuff with it. Back to using up some more 9mm when working transitions from long gun (after reloading with long gun practice).

It adds up.
    Must be nice to have a range that allows action shooting. You can't even draw and shoot from a holster at nearly any of the ranges in my area.

-Zach

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Must be nice to have a range that allows action shooting. You can't even draw and shoot from a holster at nearly any of the ranges in my area.

-Zach
    That sucks. It's not too hard to find a place that allows that stuff in the western part of the state.

If you ever move out this way I'll be happy to sponsor you as a new member at my club

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast