Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Why do people stock pile ammunition? How much is too much in terms of ammunition?

I just bought 400 rounds of .233 at Walmart (American Eagle @ 5.59). This brings my levels to about 750 rounds. I only bought it because I can never find it.

Have about 700 rounds of .22, 300 rounds of 9mm, and 100 of .380.

Serious Question....why do people stock pile ammo?

Is it to be prepared for the End of the World?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Why do people stock pile ammunition? How much is too much in terms of ammunition?

It'll never be cheaper tomorrow than it is today.

As for how much is too much?

There's only two times you have too much ammo, when you're on fire or when you're swimming.

Ammo should be stored with maximum floor loading in mind.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Why do people stock pile ammunition? How much is too much in terms of ammunition?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    It'll never be cheaper tomorrow than it is today.
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Walmart just raised their prices again. A brick of .22LR cost 19.97 now. I have at least 10000 rnds I purchased for $16 + change couple of years ago. About 20% appreciacion in the course of 2-3 years. I wish my other investments were that good.
    Je suis déplorable

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Walmart just raised their prices again. A brick of .22LR cost 19.97 now. I have at least 10000 rnds I purchased for $16 + change couple of years ago. About 20% appreciacion in the course of 2-3 years. I wish my other investments were that good.
    When I bought my first gun about 13 years ago a brick of .22 was about $9.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    When I bought my first gun about 13 years ago a brick of .22 was about $9.
    I remember those days.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimbershooter View Post
    I remember those days.
    And stay right here, 'cause
    These ARE the good old days
    These are the good old days...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

You are tracking the decline of the dollar, not appreciation of bricks of 22lr.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Washington County)

Shortages and price hikes happen and you dont want to get caught with your pants down.

Buy what you can when the prices are good.

It can get a little addicting for sure.

I can already tell .223 and 5.56 are getting scarce and the prices have gone up a bit. maybe just tax return season, but with the election and stuff its not gonna get much better.

I only shoot 9mm and 223/5.56 so I dont know how it affects other calibers.

(Northampton County)

Ammo is incredibly expensive nowadays, and prices and availability vary from year to year. Buy it when it's cheap and available. Right now it is cheap and available, relatively speaking. Three years ago people couldn't find ammo for service calibers so they couldn't go shooting.

(Jefferson County)

I consider it a better investment than the stockmarket, a hellava lot more secure too. It really wont depreciate unless I shoot it. Since I really don't shoot much, my investment just grows as the prices of supplies/ammo increase, along with additional ammo/supply purchases.

Also, you never know when I might be required to raise a big stink. Having a sufficient ammo supply to last me long enough to gain more ammo is critical. And, if you do not keep 24rnds of ammo for your main "duty rifle" - you are a failure to the militia. In this day and age, with as rapidly as one can go through ammo - one should really consider 500-1000rnds as your required quota to keep at ready. Maybe a little less if you are using a manually operated rifle.

I keep no less than 500rds at hand for my duty rifle. There are 12 loaded 30rd mags that stay loaded at all times for my M4 carbine. My 9mm and 45acp duty side arms are as follows: (5) loaded 9mm and (12) loaded 1911. With a couple hundred rounds at minimum kept boxed up for each. Then couple thousand rounds of .22RF for survival needs to put food on the table.

Should a SHTF situation come abouts - those with guns and ammo will determine how things will go. I for one will not be a slave to someone because I failed to secure my freedom, with force of arms if need be.
    Last edited by knight0334; March 11th, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast