Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Why do people stock pile ammunition? How much is too much in terms of ammunition?

I consider it a better investment than the stockmarket, a hellava lot more secure too. It really wont depreciate unless I shoot it. Since I really don't shoot much, my investment just grows as the prices of supplies/ammo increase, along with additional ammo/supply purchases.

Also, you never know when I might be required to raise a big stink. Having a sufficient ammo supply to last me long enough to gain more ammo is critical. And, if you do not keep 24rnds of ammo for your main "duty rifle" - you are a failure to the militia. In this day and age, with as rapidly as one can go through ammo - one should really consider 500-1000rnds as your required quota to keep at ready. Maybe a little less if you are using a manually operated rifle.

I keep no less than 500rds at hand for my duty rifle. There are 12 loaded 30rd mags that stay loaded at all times for my M4 carbine. My 9mm and 45acp duty side arms are as follows: (5) loaded 9mm and (12) loaded 1911. With a couple hundred rounds at minimum kept boxed up for each. Then couple thousand rounds of .22RF for survival needs to put food on the table.

Should a SHTF situation come abouts - those with guns and ammo will determine how things will go. I for one will not be a slave to someone because I failed to secure my freedom, with force of arms if need be.
    Last edited by knight0334; March 11th, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Why do people stock pile ammunition? How much is too much in terms of ammunition?

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I just bought 400 rounds of .233 at Walmart (American Eagle @ 5.59). This brings my levels to about 750 rounds. I only bought it because I can never find it.

Have about 700 rounds of .22, 300 rounds of 9mm, and 100 of .380.
    LOL - that's not a stockpile - that's a good day at the range!

(Chester County)

I am willing to accept the "buy a lot of it while it is on sale" concept. I reload my pistol ammo and buy components in bulk to save money. And I will buy 5.56 and especially .22 when I find a bargain. I just don't see stockpiling for "strategic" reasons. If the SHTF there is only so much ammo you can carry with you. Unless you are planning a static defense there is probably little difference between 10 loaded mags (and obtaining ammo in the field) and 3,000 rounds of 5.56 in tins. You are not going to be able to hump it all with you anyway.

(Allegheny County)

100 rds of 9mm at Wmart in 2007/8 (have to double check) $15

100 rds of 9mm at Wmart last week $24

Stockpiling is stupid, right?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Luzerne County)

Well I have a few reasons.

I shoot a lot. If I see a bargain, I buy whether I need it or not. I know I'll shoot it eventually.

There is a presidential election coming up. If you like to shoot, I think you'd be foolish to not prepare for another massive price hike. Sure, it may not happen. But what if it does?

Things all over the world aren't exactly looking stable lately. If the government collapses I'm willing to bet there's a good chance we'll all have to start thinking about things like defending against looters etc.

Who's to say the end of the world is not coming? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. If a zombie outbreak does happen, or the more likely scenario of some sort of massive viral infection that kills tons of people off, I'd like to better my chances of survival. That is of course assuming I survive the initial outbreak, guess you never know.

I view stockpiling much like carrying. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I would rather bug out and leave a bunch behind than bug in and have none on hand.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

It's gone up a bit in price in the few years I have been shooting. Just last year a 100 box of Winchester 380 went from $32 to $38 at Walmart. It was difficult getting used to shooting a new gun in 2009 when there was little or no 380 ammunition I could (reasonably) find.

History has taught us that those trying to maintain control have done so by controlling gunpower magazines (Concord, Williamsburg, etc).

Purchase what you can afford.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Beaver County)

I can't say I stockpile. I do buy when I can, but with my job and pay it is getting harder. Prices on everything else have gone up and I can't afford to keep dropping money on ammo. I just dropped .45 from my inventory b/c I can't keep up with buying it, 9mm, 5.56. 7.62x39, 5.45x39, .22, 7.62x54r and .308. I may have to drop the .308 soon. I only have 1400 rounds of it and there is no way I can keep up to stock pile.

I haven't bought any 54r in about 2 years b/c all I have now is an M44 unlike when I had a PSL too. I'm at 3k and change with 7.62x39 but only at 1k for 5.45. My 5.56 is only about 1500 and 9mm is less than 400. I just can't do it anymore

(Allegheny County)

Like other people said, it's usually not going to get any cheaper. I wish I could save up enough money that I can have a stockpile of ammo and still shoot a lot. Right now it's one or the other.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I just bought 400 rounds of .233 at Walmart (American Eagle @ 5.59). This brings my levels to about 750 rounds. I only bought it because I can never find it.

Have about 700 rounds of .22, 300 rounds of 9mm, and 100 of .380.

Serious Question....why do people stock pile ammo?

Is it to be prepared for the End of the World?
    You just answered one of the reasons, also you can never have enough and as others said it won't get much cheaper.

Same reasons

Why people eat too much.

Why people are addicted to pron.

Why priests like little boys.

Simply put..."because they can."

If you feel that X amount of ammo is enough for you...so be it. If the next guy feels that 100,000 is his comfort level...then that's his business. Why ask why?

In the end it's your money...do as you please. You must not have been of firearms purchasing age in 2008 during the last election or you didn't go through the 94 AWB. If you did live through those two periods in time...you wouldn't be ask WHY, you would be saying BUY.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast