Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Unrealistic pricing on PAFOA "Classified-Firearms" forum?

Has anyone noticed that the asking prices on the PAFOA Classified firearms for sale forum 90% of the time are equal to or greater than the prices offered by internet dealers for brand new identical guns, with shipping included? What am I missing here? The sellers on the forum always expect the buyer to pay the transfer fee too, so the buyer has nothing to gain there. I suppose you can try to bargain the seller down, but a lot of them say their prices are firm. Anyway, how much can you bargain somebody down on a $300 or $400 item--probably not more than $50 at the absolute most. That doesn't seem like much of a bargain for dealing with a complete stranger for an item with no warranty.

I've bought a couple off the Classified forum, but only when the gun represented a steep bargain. I don't know what these people are thinking. When people offer other high-value harware on the Web, such as watches or cameras, the prices are always discounted 30-40% from dealer prices, but not so with guns.

--Paul

Default Re: Unrealistic pricing on PAFOA "Classified-Firearms" forum?

A lot of people have a tendency to think that their own items are worth more than they are or worth what they paid for them new. Not sure why.

I noticed this on a couple items as well. Given that some guns hold their value better than others, but still not at the prices and values some people expect to get.

(Lancaster County)

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lycoming County)

Times are tough.. of course everyone wants to 'buy low and sell high'..

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    gahhh.. beat me to it
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Lackawanna County)

dont like em dont buy em?

I love lamp.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47sForAll View Post
    A lot of people have a tendency to think that their own items are worth more than they are or worth what they paid for them new. Not sure why.
    Astute observation. Some folks get attached to their stuff, and (unconsciously?) wish to be paid for this as well. Obviously it isn't realistic to expect someone to pay for how the seller feels, but we see this practice anyway.

It never ceases to amaze me how some folks will price comparison ad nauseam for purchases, but not when they sell.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lancaster County)

I have my RIA tactical for sale... $800 bucks like new in box, hardly fired, mint condition. Anybody? Anybody?

(Chester County)

I've noticed it quite often and have been tempted to start a thread myself at times so I'm glad you started this one.

It doesn't seem to be limited to firearms either. I've seen people selling ammo and gear for at or above mail order prices. I guess that's OK for those squeamish about buying online, but I have no interest in driving to meet a stranger with little or no post count other than the classifieds to buy 500 rounds of ammo when I can have it delivered to my door for the same price.

I don't want to see anyone take a beating because they bought the wrong size or caliber and want to get back some of their money by selling it "LNIB", but I also don't think it's reasonable to try to get back everything they paid for it on the used market. Especially when the original buyer paid more than they should have in the first place.

One recent example was someone selling Lake City M855 for $225/400, stating they paid $275 for it. Sorry, but if I can get it at CTD for $350/1000, you're going to have to suck up the loss for buying 5.56 when your AR only shoots .223 if you want to off load it. Another example was someone trying to sell AR cases for $120 each, stating they went for $159 retail (never said that's what he paid). Problem is, Wallyworld was selling the same exact case for $40, $30 on Black Friday.

I always check online prices if I see something in the classifieds that catches my eye, but there have only been a few times where the deal was worth organizing a meet-up and buying second hand. I'm not cheap and I don't try to talk everything down, but if I'm paying the NIB price, I want NIB as well as someone to grab by the throat if something isn't quite as advertised or defective right out of the box.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast