Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default AMT Automag in 30 carbine...good, bad, value?

i saw a AMT automag in 30 carbine the other day and thought it might be an interesting addition to my collection. I've heard of AMT but I know little about them and this is the first one i've seen for sale. does anyone own one, shot one,are they reliable, what do they go for? i saw one on gunbroker for 750 but no one had bid on it. thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: AMT Automag in 30 carbine...good, bad, value?

I have had the displeasure to attempt repair on several of those guns- .30 carbine and others.

A good accessory for the AMT guns is 10 feet of steel leader and a number 6 shark hook... They should be avoided. Quality is low and functionality deteriorates over time.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Monroe County)

Had one. Totally impractical, loudest handgun i ever fired.

It was fun, but not a quality gun.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Indiana County)

AMT's have a notoriety for being a crapshoot to say the least.

I was an FFL when AMT's were still available new and sold a few, and after some complaints, I only sold a few to avoid unhappy customers.

That said, I did have an AMT Hardballer Longslide that once I got the kinks worked out of shot like an SOB.

The AutoMag III is a neat idea, but as far as buying one, I think I'd find a Ruger Blackhawk in .30Carb before taking the chance on getting a decent Automag.

If the price is way cheap though, and it sucks, you could always part it out I suppose since parts are scarce.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    AMT's have a notoriety for being a crapshoot to say the least.

I was an FFL when AMT's were still available new and sold a few, and after some complaints, I only sold a few to avoid unhappy customers.

That said, I did have an AMT Hardballer Longslide that once I got the kinks worked out of shot like an SOB.

The AutoMag III is a neat idea, but as far as buying one, I think I'd find a Ruger Blackhawk in .30Carb before taking the chance on getting a decent Automag.

If the price is way cheap though, and it sucks, you could always part it out I suppose since parts are scarce.

Great advise! Yeah buy a Blackhawk, they work fine. Some reloading manuals have loads for the Blackhawk to tone them down a bit.

(York County)

I had an Automag in 45 win mag. it was big, threw out a nice flame. Would only feed round nose stuff and the front sight kept falling off. Grip felt weird also. I'd keep looking. Just my .02

(Pike County)

That's a shame the pistol is a POS, it would make a nice companion for an M1 Carbine.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah man, avoid them. They are questionable quality at best, and that price is outrageous.

(Elk County)

Friends don't let friends:

1) Buy AMT handguns
    2) Buy MoPar
    3) Be the first on their block to install a new Windows operating system or service pack

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I have an IAI (successor company to AMT) Hardballer 1911. These were some of the first all stainless steel pistols, so there were issues. I got it for $250, It needed a ramp and throat job, rails polished with a dremmel and polishing compound. but it runs like a champ. I have never had any issues with the pistol outside of trying a 10 round magazine in it. The slides need to be well lubed with a white teflon based high temp grease, or the old black graphite gun grease. The slide and the frame rails were known to stick and gall because they were the same hardness of stainless steel.
    I shoot this pistol weekly, and carry it frequently, its never given me any trouble at all. The frame will be the base for the next 1911 build after the barrel and bushing wear out. The Sights on it are older Millett type target adjustable. You cant replace them with anything newer. Most components are pretty decent, like extended magazine release and safety.
    Last edited by bigandy1966; March 12th, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast