Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Getting shotty for HD and Clays

So I have never owned, or even fired, a shotgun. I want one for home defense but that i can also take out to a range for tom clays/trap/skeet.

As I am a novice should I look into a combo deal like for a Remington 870? Another questions is should i go with 12 or 20 gauge?
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Getting shotty for HD and Clays

beav~
    Since you stated that you wanted a shotgun for home defense, I assume that's your primary concern. You can't beat the reliability of an 870 or Mossberg 500. Reliability is everything in a defensive weapon. I'd swing for a 28" to 30" barrel for clay games, and certainly get an 18" to 20" for its HD role. Forget that tactical horsesh!t that is all the rage these days. Hollywood and World of Warcraft has ruined us.
    Of course, the longer barrel should have screw-in chokes to accommodate the various games you're interested in.
    As far as gauge is concerned, that's up to you. Can you handle the heavier recoil of a 12? 00 buckshot loads kick with some real authority. I personally favor the 12 gauge because of its extra shot capacity. The more lead you sling into the air, the better your chances of hitting something.
    Also, if you start hitting targets with regularity, I'm betting inside of a year you'll be looking for another gun for trap/skeet, etc. (Or one for each)

Good luck

Tom

(Berks County)

(Butler County)

I bought the mossberg 500 cruiser 12 ga. pump. Came with a pistol grip and 18" barrel. Bought a full stock and longer barrel for hunting. Can change both in the matter of minutes.

Also picked up some 2 3/4" 00 buck shot in low recoil for home defense. They make a big difference.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeba View Post
    beav~
    Since you stated that you wanted a shotgun for home defense, I assume that's your primary concern. You can't beat the reliability of an 870 or Mossberg 500. Reliability is everything in a defensive weapon. I'd swing for a 28" to 30" barrel for clay games, and certainly get an 18" to 20" for its HD role. Forget that tactical horsesh!t that is all the rage these days. Hollywood and World of Warcraft has ruined us.
    Of course, the longer barrel should have screw-in chokes to accommodate the various games you're interested in.
    As far as gauge is concerned, that's up to you. Can you handle the heavier recoil of a 12? 00 buckshot loads kick with some real authority. I personally favor the 12 gauge because of its extra shot capacity. The more lead you sling into the air, the better your chances of hitting something.
    Also, if you start hitting targets with regularity, I'm betting inside of a year you'll be looking for another gun for trap/skeet, etc. (Or one for each)

Good luck

Tom
    As a big guy, i could probably handle the 12, but I was also considering my smaller wife should she need to grab it.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    As a big guy, i could probably handle the 12, but I was also considering my smaller wife should she need to grab it.
    My 11 year old went to town with my SPX 12 gauge last week. Consider a semi-auto, they suck up recoil are IMHO are more error free for rookies. The Mossberg 930 combo seems hard to beat. I might swap my SPX for one, a bead sight is all you need in your house.
    Last edited by Wokpak; March 11th, 2012 at 12:36 AM.

(Delaware County)

"If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Carbon County)

nothing wrong with a 20, its all myself and most of the the guys in the club shoot anymore, they are lighter and less kick. i dont even see a difference in 1 shot kills on any bird or animal using a 20ga.
    i have been hunting for many many years and have taken hundreds of pheasant, grouse, and 4 legged animals with a 20ga.
    i am sure it is just as lethal on humans as a 12ga. you get alot of yahoos that think only a 12 ga will work for hunting and self defense. just like the same people that think you should only carry a 45 on your belt. but after 30 years of hunting....20ga is all you need. people watch to many movies and see all this fancy shit, have no idea what they are talking about. most of them never shot an animal in their lives. then they pull up all these stats that mean nothing. i am talking my real life experience not some guys on the internet tossing useless number. btw...buy the cheap remington shells to, they kill just as good as all this high velocity bullshit. just more bullshit to make you spend double on something you dont need. box of buckshot for home defense, 3 bucks...and it will remove your leg just like some 20 dollar bullshit shells.
    mossberg or remington pump is all you need if you want to keep the price down. alot of stuff you can buy for them if you want to do barrel changes.

(Delaware County)

So I have never owned, or even fired, a shotgun. I want one for home defense but that i can also take out to a range for tom clays/trap/skeet.

As I am a novice should I look into a combo deal like for a Remington 870? Another questions is should i go with 12 or 20 gauge?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/delaware-14/1...un-shoots.html

You can come out to our fun shoot today, bring the wife and kids, it good shotgunning fun. Located not far from granite Run Mall & Linvilla Orchards.

Delaware County Field & Stream Association

(Lycoming County)

12 GA 870 is the way id go. Im doing a bit the opposite of you...I have a Remington 870 Turkey Special..but since I dont really hunt much anymore im converting that over to a HS shotgun...trying to make it nice but with not too much tacticool KRAP on it...maybe a Big dot front night sight and a mag tube extension and a recoil pad or something..

But with the 870 easily changeable barrels its just right for what you want to do...get something like one of those wingmasters and get a shorter 18" give or take(legal length) HD shotgun barrel and the wing master should already come with a nice vent rib barrel for hunting/trap/skeet.

I ended up getting a nice semi auto Lanmber semi auto for trap//skeet/rabbit/bird hunting now I can use the 870 as a dedicated HD platform..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast