Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Hokkmike Guest

Default PPS users question.

I shoot a Walther PPS in .40 caliber. Sometimes when shooting after a few rounds the magazine will slowly slip or creep down causing a failure to feed jam. I am guessing this is because of the location of the magazine release. Recoil of the gun must be causing finger contact with the release lever disengaging whatever mechanism is used to lock the magazine in place.

Has this ever happened to you?

What can be done to prevent it?

Default Re: PPS users question.

Never had that happen.

I don't know how you could be pushing the lever enough to release the mag if your gripping the pistol, either. Your firing hand middle finger should be snug against the bottom of the trigger guard, thus also being snug against the bottom of the mag release....

When you say your finger is hitting it when firing:

1) what finger?

2) what grip do you use?

Some people have experienced this with HK's, which use a similar mag release. This is caused by using what they think is a thumbs forward grip, but is actually an improperly executed thumbs forward grip. What ends up happening is their support hand thumb ends up hitting the mag release, because their grip sucks.

Example:

NOT a correct thumbs forward grip: Click me

Correct thumbs forward grip: Click me
    Last edited by TGS; March 9th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.

(Bradford County)

Yeah, I've never had that happen on mine. I do tend to get a blood blister on my finger from the space between the mag and the grip, but the magazine has never dropped while firing.

And like TGS says, my middle finger would prevent the mag release from moving enough to drop the magazine anyway. ( I just tried it. Can't move the release more than a mil with a proper grip, and that was trying on purpose to release the mag.)

If you are not hitting the release while shooting, maybe the release is worn or broken inside? That little metal stick that holds the magazine in could have snapped if pressed hard the wrong way, or maybe it was sent out from the factory defective. The only other thing I can think of is to check your magazines. Maybe the hole that interacts with the mag release is wrong/broken?
    Last edited by J Star; March 9th, 2012 at 05:53 PM.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    When you say your finger is hitting it when firing:

1) what finger?

2) what grip do you use?

Some people have experienced this with HK's, which use a similar mag release. This is caused by using what they think is a thumbs forward grip, but is actually an improperly executed thumbs forward grip. What ends up happening is their support hand thumb ends up hitting the mag release, because their grip sucks.

Example:

NOT a correct thumbs forward grip: Click me

Correct thumbs forward grip: Click me
    Thank you for your response. I will get a shooting buddy to take a hard look at my grip.