Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default first NFA project... a few quick questions while I begin researching

Hey all

I am about to embark into the world of NFA, and was wondering if someone could help me out with a few short questions while I am reading the mounds of info available on NFA items.

Tonight, I ordered two stripped lower receivers. My intention is to build a pistol lower, then buy a 10.5" LMT or 11.5" BCM upper, and just have an AR pistol until my stamp gets approved. The other lower will be the one used to complete the form 1. Is this a legal way to be able to avoid constructive possession? I have one other AR, and it is a complete BCM 16" rifle.

Second, do I need to have the SBR lower engraved before I send the form 1 into the ATF?

Third, where is a good place to have the engraving done (Harrisburg/ Mechanicsburg/ Carlisle area) ?

Fourth, how much should the engraving cost?

Thank you for reading and for any assistance with this project.

BTW, links to any specific thread (other than the stickies already in the NFA forum) are greatly appreciated.

NOTE -- I plan to use a trust (as I am in a position that I have access to literally 60 attorneys on a daily basis, and two of them specialize in trust and estates law) as the vehicle for registering the SBR rather than the LEO-signature method. Any cons to using a trust for SBR purposes?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: first NFA project... a few quick questions while I begin researching

BTW, also considering a 10.5" spikes upper. Any comments on that upper?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: first NFA project... a few quick questions while I begin researching

You can send your forms in without the lower being engraved but during the process time you should just send your lower out to be engraved. I went to orion arms to get my lower engraved and it cost less then $75 and it took about 2 weeks to be done depending on how busy they are.

(Centre County)

You are fine building up one of the lowers and a pistol and using it until the other lowers F1 gets approved. I got my lower engraved before it was delivered, it arranged to be engraved by the FFL selling it, I paid $20 extra to have it done. In reguards to WHO to engrave it I have no idea, I haven't heard of any one location in that area (or anywhere in PA) that reliably advertises this service. Personally I would want the lower engraved PRIOR to filling the F1 UNLESS I was using a trusted engraver that I KNOW won't screw up the engraving. That being said, you are free to send in the F1 and find someone to engrave while you wait, just hope that they get it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keep the trust name as short as possible.
    You need to engrave the full trust name on your SBR.
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

check out Ident Markings. they did a really good job on mine. I had it engraved in the trigger area. It cost me around 40$ plus the shipping to them. like the poster above said send it out for engraving first incase it gets lost or damaged.

(Bucks County)

No need to buy two lowers for what you want to do. Build the pistol (the stripped lower has to be transferred as a pistol) and use that lower and serial number on your form 1. You CAN SBR a pistol. Once it is approved, remove the pistol buffer tube and install your stock.

You do not need to engrave the lower until right before you build the SBR. However, people recommend that you get it engraved before you submit the form 1, in case the engraver screws up, and you could be out $200. Personally I always submit the form first, because I like to get it into the system ASAP, and I trust my engraver.

For engraving, I've used Homeland Defense and Police Supply. I've been very happy with the results and the price. They use a laser engraver and are able to engrave text as well as graphics. I had one particular job that I was very specific about how I wanted it done, and it turned out exactly how I wanted. Here is a picture of that job:

I wanted the text centered exactly between the two lines of existing text, for a uniform look. It's pefect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauerp226in40 View Post
    My intention is to build a pistol lower, then buy a 10.5" LMT or 11.5" BCM upper, and just have an AR pistol until my stamp gets approved. The other lower will be the one used to complete the form 1. Is this a legal way to be able to avoid constructive possession? I have one other AR, and it is a complete BCM 16" rifle.

Second, do I need to have the SBR lower engraved before I send the form 1 into the ATF?

Third, where is a good place to have the engraving done (Harrisburg/ Mechanicsburg/ Carlisle area) ?

Fourth, how much should the engraving cost?
    I went with the 10½" LMT and could not be happier. Never had an issue with it.

I also used Orion to engrave my lower. Good and quick service.