Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: It finally comes to an end - settlement reached with Philadelphia

Good job mark! I hope all your critics who say " he's just in this for a paycheck" or " he set the cops up" choke on this one! LOL, 25k should cover your lawyer fees and maybe a new glock and holster But them admitting fault and wrong doing is priceless!

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    But them admitting fault and wrong doing is priceless!
    That stings the anti-gun crowd more than anything.
    MikeP

(Delaware County)

I've updated the top post. Please go to post number one in this thread for more details.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; March 8th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.

(York County)

Congrats, although only time will tell whether any real changes to policy happen. I am interested in the actual settlement details, so I will wait for more info. Thank you for your courage and tenacity in what surely was overwhelming at times.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I've updated the top post. Please go to post number one in this thread for more details.
    Awesome. I read through the details and stand behind your decision.

As I myself have had two encounters with the Philly PD since your incident in February 2011, I can state for fact that change has come about.

Thanks again.
    MikeP

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Streaker69
    I was only hoping to see the officers that violated his rights, the DA that maliciously charged him with crimes committed by those officers and the PD Administration that allowed the systemic infringing of rights be punished in some way. Whether it be by suspensions without pay, or firings, but it would seem the only people that were punished by this is the tax payers.

I realize that may not be the popular opinion of this, but that's how I feel, take it for what it is.

I guess we'll see if anything has changed in the future, when it happens again, the the PD administration can come out and say that they're working on getting their officers properly trained, but it just takes time. I guess another 10 years or so, they'll get it done.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^

After all the trouble you went through, Mark, I don't begrudge you a settlement. And, I don't intend in any way to start a trolling, "WTF?" pile-on. However, to say I'm shocked is an understatement.

I really hope there's circumstances we're not aware of, because I don't see how settling for $25k is teaching the PPD anything other than they buy their way out of serious trouble for a relative pittance. $25k is only a fraction of a single patrolman's salary, and is essentially a rounding error on their balance sheet. I'm not saying that suing for millions is a better alternative, but I would've at least liked to see the people at the PPD and DA's office who gave you so much trouble held accountable. If they're back out on patrol again with no reprimand of any kind, you can bet they'll be abusing the next guy who's unwilling or unable to stand up for themselves like you did. So, in the end nothing's changed.

As streaker said, I'm sure I'll be in the minority with this opinion, but take it FWIW.
    No Chambered......you and Streaker are not a minority with this opinion. A lot of people share the same opinion but were probably waiting until someone had the balls to post about it. Why fight for your right and then to settle for 25K. Justice has not been served in my opinion.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Delaware County)

No, thank you. And thanks to everyone who helped with this - through simple encouragement, financial contributions, or advice and pointers. Without this community, none of these changes would have been possible.

Default Re: It finally comes to an end - "Offer of Judgment" reached with Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    (...)even though I know that many of you may be somewhat disappointed. For that, I genuinely am sorry(...)
    My only comment on the settlement is this: As Philly was completely uninterested in addressing the cause of the lawsuit in the settlement and felt they were doing enough through existing processes, you had no choice but to accept the one remedy they were offering. The decision about how acceptable that offer was sits with you at the end of the day. As you felt it was sufficient given the totality of circumstances (and undoubtedly with the advice of counsel), I can't criticize your decision.

Beyond that, let me respond to the part I quoted above. To hell with what anyone else -- including me! -- thinks about the settlement. When it's their skin in the game, they can make the big decisions. It wasn't their skin in the game, it was yours. The legal system is no joke, and it's entirely too easy to get cavalier on a forum, safely ensconced in our barcaloungers, about what we want, what we would do, what we would say. You, however, had to live with the consequences of those events. All the people criticizing would do well to remember that.

You don't owe anyone on this forum an apology for settling, and anyone who thinks you do can do something biologically impossible.
    Last edited by FNG19; March 8th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

Default Re: It finally comes to an end - "Offer of Judgment" reached with Philadelphia

Congradulations on a win! 25K IMO is a low ball offer, however if Mark is satisfied then so am I.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Butler County)

Gun rights violated = $25,000
    Forcing better leo awareness/training = Priceless

You should be proud of yourself for making better awareness/training a major issue.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast