Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: It finally comes to an end - settlement reached with Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    congrats on the win.

Already hitting the news circuits:
    http://www.whptv.com/news/state/stor...qkwdzlhAA.cspx
    So close, yet so far.

"(OC)It's legal in Pennsylvania if the person has a permit."

Congratulations!!

(Lancaster County)

I was only hoping to see the officers that violated his rights, the DA that maliciously charged him with crimes committed by those officers and the PD Administration that allowed the systemic infringing of rights be punished in some way. Whether it be by suspensions without pay, or firings, but it would seem the only people that were punished by this is the tax payers.

I realize that may not be the popular opinion of this, but that's how I feel, take it for what it is.

I guess we'll see if anything has changed in the future, when it happens again, the the PD administration can come out and say that they're working on getting their officers properly trained, but it just takes time. I guess another 10 years or so, they'll get it done.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I was only hoping to see the officers that violated his rights, the DA that maliciously charged him with crimes committed by those officers and the PD Administration that allowed the systemic infringing of rights be punished in some way. Whether it be by suspensions without pay, or firings, but it would seem the only people that were punished by this is the tax payers.

I realize that may not be the popular opinion of this, but that's how I feel, take it for what it is.

I guess we'll see if anything has changed in the future, when it happens again, the the PD administration can come out and say that they're working on getting their officers properly trained, but it just takes time. I guess another 10 years or so, they'll get it done.
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^

After all the trouble you went through, Mark, I don't begrudge you a settlement. And, I don't intend in any way to start a trolling, "WTF?" pile-on. However, to say I'm shocked is an understatement.

I really hope there's circumstances we're not aware of, because I don't see how settling for $25k is teaching the PPD anything other than they buy their way out of serious trouble for a relative pittance. $25k is only a fraction of a single patrolman's salary, and is essentially a rounding error on their balance sheet. I'm not saying that suing for millions is a better alternative, but I would've at least liked to see the people at the PPD and DA's office who gave you so much trouble held accountable. If they're back out on patrol again with no reprimand of any kind, you can bet they'll be abusing the next guy who's unwilling or unable to stand up for themselves like you did. So, in the end nothing's changed.

As streaker said, I'm sure I'll be in the minority with this opinion, but take it FWIW.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; March 8th, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Luzerne County)

Congrats.

Hoping to hear more about this.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Tioga County)

I'll wait for the details, but the end result proves that Mark was right and they were wrong.

By not getting a big pay day he proved all of the antis wrong who said that was all he was interested in. That, and a boost to his ego.
    MikeP

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    After all the trouble you went through, Mark, I don't begrudge you a settlement. And, I don't intend in any way to start a trolling, "WTF?" pile-on. However, to say I'm shocked is an understatement.
    I'm personally reserving judgment (ha ha ha) until we hear the details from Mark. The monetary damages are irrelevant to me. I'm more concerned about the non-financial aspects of the settlement, and the specifics of what (if anything) they agreed to do.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    I'm personally reserving judgment (ha ha ha) until we hear the details from Mark. The monetary damages are irrelevant to me. I'm more concerned about the non-financial aspects of the settlement, and the specifics of what (if anything) they agreed to do.
    I obviously didn't reserve judgment , but I'll be glad to retract or revise my remarks once Mark provides more details.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

Nope, you nailed it.

Congrats on getting it behind you Mark. I assume that you are satisfied with the terms of the settlement and in the end, *that* is most important. You've gone through a great deal and you've done a great deal for your community.

Thanks.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(York County)

I was hoping to see a six figure settlement as a way to "warn" other police departments, a small police department might leave oc'ers alone for fear of a six figure lawsuit but I do not see a city or police department being to concerned over 25,000. Also I think the police on scene should have been fired

I do inderstand why he settled, I can imagine that all this was stressful on every aspect of his life and now it is finally over and hopefully he can continue his life as normal

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast