Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: It finally comes to an end - "Offer of Judgment" reached with Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    How come there was never a seperate civil rights lawsuit against the individual officers?
    If you read the complaint you'll see that the lawsuit was against most of the individual officers. The "settlement" was on behalf of all of the defendants, including the City, the individual officers, and Commissioner Ramsey.

(Butler County)

Default Re: It finally comes to an end - "Offer of Judgment" reached with Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    It is a 'practical precedent' by your standards. The Philly's DA office is a lot less likely to bring similar charges as those that they tried to railroad Mark with, having gotten them smacked down in a high profile case already.
    What do you suppose they'll do to someone without a voice recorder, a willing donation stream to fund a legal defense, or who does not put the recording online?

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    I disagree. I did not give him money because I thought he'd be a poor test case. I was right, but for the wrong reasons. Given that settlement, I actually wonder what he does plan to do in terms of the donation pool, assuming anything remains.

The leverage was the trial. Viper or his attorneys either blinked or decided that $25k was enough pieces of gold to make them go away.

I want to be clear on this: there is nothing to stop the PPD from returning to their old behavior, 25k is not a sufficient monetary amount to change their behavior. This case has established the price of bad behavior on the PPD's part, and made it astonishingly low. I don't see it as a cause for celebration. At all. Nothing has been gained. Nothing.

He did not want the money. So he took the money and extracted zero from the PPD.

Next time this happens, I hope it's a better case/plaintiff combination. It's not often that the pro-2nd Amendment crowd gets an opportunity like this and screws it up so astonishingly badly.
    Yep.

+10char

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Had I not had a recording, the PPDs official policy on OC would remain that it's not legal,
    But at the scene, didn't another officer tell the officer in question that what
    you were doing was not against the law, and you were subsequently released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lawrence County)

The money isn't bad or good, but it will do. I would've let them keep the money in exchange for the training and the opportunity to piss on Nutter's Mercedes... AIM FOR THE DOOR HANDLE BOYS!

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

What do you suppose they'll do to someone without a voice recorder, a willing donation stream to fund a legal defense, or who does not put the recording online?
    Well in my case....nothing. (so far)

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    and the opportunity to piss on Nutter's Mercedes
    That's indecent exposure......
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    Well in my case....nothing. (so far)
    Based on the memo posted elsewhere, you can expect (per the PPD's own memorandum):

1. Being stopped.
    2. Being disarmed.
    3. Having your firearm taken.

Which is shockingly like prior PPD directives.

I suspect the biggest thing to come from all of this is that you won't catch four letter words tossed your way while it's going on. I suppose that's a win. I'm betting a lot of people were hoping for more.

Before they were instructed to treat all OCers automatically as if they were VUFA offenders.

That is no longer the case, and i can tell you that i have walked right by numerous cops who didn't take my gun or do any of the things on your list.

If that does happen again, i guess someone else will just have to sue them.

(Montgomery County)

Based on the memo posted elsewhere, you can expect (per the PPD's own memorandum):

1. Being stopped.
    2. Being disarmed.
    3. Having your firearm taken.

Which is shockingly like prior PPD directives.

I suspect the biggest thing to come from all of this is that you won't catch four letter words tossed your way while it's going on. I suppose that's a win. I'm betting a lot of people were hoping for more.
    Based on real life (which you seem to either keep ignoring or dismissing)
    1. You will most likely not be stopped at all
    2. You won't actually be stopped or detained, but rarely you may be casually asked if you have an LTCF and not be requested to produce it. If you refuse to answer your civil rights may be violated at that point depending on your perspective and that of the courts.
    3. Unless you're discovered to be carrying illegally your firearm will remain on your person.

Which is equally shocking as it is not at all like PPD directive or what you've typed here. I'm betting a lot of people were basically hoping for the above and not much more except, maybe for some, to never actually be asked if you had an LTCF.

I suspect the biggest thing to come from this is that your civil rights are now MANY times more likely to NOT be violated in anyway. Sure sounds like a win to me.
    Last edited by whoshisface; March 12th, 2012 at 02:43 PM.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast