Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Default Re: It finally comes to an end - "Offer of Judgment" reached with Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    Viper specifically said in his post that Philly would accept no non-financial stipulations in the settlement, and that his only outcome in court would have been monetary damages. Given that, there's absolutely no way he could have achieved through this lawsuit what people here want him to achieve. If he's not after money and the non-monetary outcomes all of us were hoping to see couldn't materialize, what was the point of continuing the suit?
    It's called negotiation. Ever buy something for less than the FIRM price?

Default Re: It finally comes to an end - "Offer of Judgment" reached with Philadelphia

A great win for the citizenry. Justice prevails!
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Delaware County)

So, what's been established here is that the cost to the city for inconveniencing someone for open carry is 25k.
    If they do it again, they can expect to shell out another 25k to that person, because that guy (or gal) will know about this incident and expect at least as much for their troubles.
    To me, that sounds like a very good step. 25k alone may not be much to the PPD budget, but if they kept up the behavior, it would add up quickly. Not to mention that this will make people much more likely to speak up when similar incidents occur.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Helter View Post
    So, what's been established here is that the cost to the city for inconveniencing someone for open carry is 25k.
    If they do it again, they can expect to shell out another 25k to that person, because that guy (or gal) will know about this incident and expect at least as much for their troubles.
    To me, that sounds like a very good step. 25k alone may not be much to the PPD budget, but if they kept up the behavior, it would add up quickly. Not to mention that this will make people much more likely to speak up when similar incidents occur.
    Here is the way I see it.......it would be a win if the LEO's involved would have to cough the 25K up and not the PPD. Law enforcement officers these days know that if something like this happens, the city has their backs. Not really comforting....is it?
    For those who think that it is only $25.000 of tax payers money.....let it be said that that this crap (settlements) happens on a daily bases nationwide.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by D10 View Post
    Here is the way I see it.......it would be a win if the LEO's involved would have to cough the 25K up and not the PPD. Law enforcement officers these days know that if something like this happens, the city has their backs. Not really comforting....is it?
    For those who think that it is only $25.000 of tax payers money.....let it be said that that this crap (settlements) happens on a daily bases nationwide.
    It is unlikely that the officers would ever have paid a dime.. if that was possible it would be great. One way to achieve this is to sue the government entity alone. Take the settlement with a confidentially clause then Suresh the officers separately. Maybe then you could get something from them..

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    It is unlikely that the officers would ever have paid a dime.. if that was possible it would be great. One way to achieve this is to sue the government entity alone. Take the settlement with a confidentially clause then Suresh the officers separately. Maybe then you could get something from them..
    It would've been my first choice. Why take money from tax payers who would be on my side to begin with? I would feel like shit if I knew that my (hypothetical) settlement would come from people that work their asses off to pay for the settlement without them even knowing they actually paid for my new car.

It will happen again in the near future and there will be another case in court where the PPD will be ruled of being wrong. Another settlement will be paid and so on and so on.

Look at it this way.........if (for example) you have bee problems in your house....do you kill the bees randomly or do you try to find the root of the problem and exterminate them in one blow?

(Montgomery County)

It would've been my first choice. Why take money from tax payers who would be on my side to begin with? I would feel like shit if I knew that my (hypothetical) settlement would come from people that work their asses off to pay for the settlement without them even knowing they actually paid for my new car.

It will happen again in the near future and there will be another case in court where the PPD will be ruled of being wrong. Another settlement will be paid and so on and so on.

Look at it this way.........if (for example) you have bee problems in your house....do you kill the bees randomly or do you try to find the root of the problem and exterminate them in one blow?
    The law doesn't work that way. You'd likely be throwing your money away as the judge would probably state they are immuned anyway and/or the city would still pay he bill

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    The law doesn't work that way. You'd likely be throwing your money away as the judge would probably state they are immuned anyway and/or the city would still pay he bill
    True......but how would this turn out if nationwide press would get involved in such a matter? Is it not funny that Mark's case was only covered by local news? It actually never was mentioned in my county.
    Come to think of it........did the NRA mentioned it anywhere?

(Bucks County)

I would guess it would of actually cost the tax payers more in legal fees had this continued. They decided it would be cheaper and less of a hassle to just pay a few bucks to make this go away. Can't argue with success.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    I would guess it would of actually cost the tax payers more in legal fees had this continued. They decided it would be cheaper and less of a hassle to just pay a few bucks to make this go away. Can't argue with success.
    Agreed.......but would you not be prepared to fork over a couple bucks extra if it would have resulted in a different and more punishing outcome? I realize this was a civil case while it should have been a criminal case IMO. Mark's rights were violated by several law enforcement officers and I still fail to see where this is a civil matter instead of a criminal matter.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast