Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Best small lockbox/safe

My wife and me are both looking to get pistols in the next month. I will probably carry mine on me a lot through the day, but my wife is a stay at home mom, and with the level of horseplay that comes with having a 2 year old, does not feel comfortable carrying at home. Our plan is to get a small safe or lockbox to keep in the top of the closet, since my little one is quite inquisitive. However, we are really racking our brains for the best solution at night. We would like to each have our gun within arms length in case of an emergency. We had considered a biometric solution, but I've read it's still an inconsistent technology, which I believe, since I have a fingerprint reader on my laptop and it usually takes 2-3 tries to get in. We had also considered keeping a lockbox near the bed and unlocking it at night... again, my fear is that if my daughter ends up sleeping with us that night, that she'll go wondering at night.

Is there a solution? Or do we just need to get over it and sacrifice the convenience? Obviously the safety of my little one is my number one priority.

Also, I know a lot of the time the sentiment is, "Teach them!" but I am skeptical that anyone who actually has a 22 month old believes that is a possibility... even now, she knows she's not supposed to touch my x-box, not supposed to touch the stove, not supposed to touch the outlet covers... that doesn't stop her from doing it... you can even tell she knows it's wrong, since usually when she does it she hides. Kids are kids... it's why we love them and it's why, as I prepare to make my first gun purchase, I am doing all the research and reading I can on how to make sure I keep her safe. I am looking forward to teaching her more about gun safety as she gets older, but for now, I don't see it as feasible.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Best small lockbox/safe

I taught my oldest not to play with electrical outlets. That didn't stop him from sticking an Allen wrench in one. He still plays with the damn things.

I believe in teaching for the sake of my kids ever encountering a gun outside of our home, but inside they will always be locked up or holstered on my side. In the end it is my responsibility to ensure they never have unsupervised access. Having said that, there are plenty of options which will provide you with security against a curious child and still give you reliable access in a hurry. I'm a fan of the regular Gunvault products (non biometric). They wont stop a determined thief but they will stop a small child for sure. Keep one at bedside and you are good to go. If your wife doesn't wish to carry around the house look at getting a second that she can keep in a somewhat centralized location. Obviously the best place is on your person at all times. Anything less than that and you are sacrificing your chances of having it when you need it most.

I'm in the same boat with a 23 month old and a second one on the way. I'm currently looking at some "security cabinet" options from Stack-On. They have a 10-gun, 53" tall cabinet that I would mount to the wall in my bedroom closet. Thing is, one of my shotguns wouldn't allow the shelf to be installed, so I'd have no place for the pistol, ammo etc other than loose in the bottom. They also make a smaller cabinet that matches the taller one that I would also mount for the pistol and ammo. They also have in-wall options if you're handy with some remodeling work. I may go that route depending on how I mock-up the thing up.

I'm going this route in lieu of the big heavy safe because I want this in my bedroom and not the basement. And it's more affordable at this point in my life. Not that money should always drive the solution to this situation, but my kids will be taught what's right and what's wrong AND what to do if they are around kids who happen to get a hold of a gun and are in an unsafe situation.
    Last edited by CL3; March 8th, 2012 at 11:03 AM.

(Berks County)

$20 at odd lots for a sentry flat lock box that comes with a steel cable for the car.

(Centre County)

There are a lot of small lock boxes to be had. Check midwayUSA and other shooters supply places. There are keyed boxes and boxes that you press buttons in a certain sequence to have it open.

Here's what I do at night. I have a keyed lockbox in my closet with my "night" gun in it. When I go to bed, I unlock it and have it open, the gun is ready to go, I just have to reach in and grab it. Under the old laws, it might have helped in the case of a incident as I would be "retreating" (with my wife and cell phone) to the closet to get to the gun. When I get up in the morning, the safe gets locked up because I am then carrying my EDC gun. And no, I have never forgotten to lock the safe, ever. It is right where my clothes are so it gets locked after I get my clothes and am leaving the closet.

Now, we don't have kids around anymore, but we do have the grandkids that visit, so I am teaching them about guns and what not to do. My grandson follows me around everywhere and so when I'm in the shop working on guns he's there with me and I show him things and what not to touch so he doesn't get hurt. He's not quite 5 so when I can, I'll let him do things for me (helping close a clamp, vise, other little things that he can do and use it as a teaching moment).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Something like this safe would work good, http://www.meijer.com/s/gun-vault-mu...afe/_/R-170422. If you are worried about having quicker access maybe get an alarm or a dog so you have a little more notice to get to your gun before you might need it. A key safe doesn't seem like the best idea since you couldn't leave the key in the safe since then your kid would have access.

I know what you mean about teaching a kid that young. My nephew is 3 and you can tell him not to touch things but that makes him want to do it even more. For instance he loves to get his hands on his older brothers nerf guns and shoot the dog or anyone around.

Quote Originally Posted by jbwk254 View Post
    If you are worried about having quicker access maybe get an alarm or a dog so you have a little more notice to get to your gun before you might need it.
    Or, I close the baby gates at the top and bottom of the stair!

Gunvault is really the industry leader for the sort of quick access safe you are looking for. Easily operated in the dark without keys. Spring loaded door.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    Or, I close the baby gates at the top and bottom of the stair!
    That's a funny thought. It never occurred to me that they could have a home defense benefit, but you're right.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.