Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Shot Timer and Custom Molded Ear Plugs

I have two competition related questions that I was hoping I could get some help with.

Shot Timer:
    I'm in the market for a Shot Timer and have narrowed it down to two choices. I'm looking at ether a Pocket Pro (the older model that looks like a big blue brick) and a CED 7000. I've seen and messed around with the Pocket Pro at local USPSA matches. It seems like a durable timer that will get the job done.

The CED 7000, on the other hand, I have never had the opportunity to mess around with. I like the additional features that it has, as well as the way the display is organized.

I'll be using this timer for practice. It won't be used nearly as hard as it would be at a match, but I don't want to have to worry about it dying on me. Can anyone recommend one timer over the other?

Most importantly, is there anywhere in the Berks area where I can purchase either model? Having not been able to use the CED 7000, I'd like to be able to handle it before I make my decision. I've checked the Cabelas and Dicks websites but neither place seems to stock them.

It is also worth noting that I currently have an Android Smart Phone but haven't had much luck with the shot timer apps in the Android Market (including IPSC Shot Timer Pro which was $10.00)

Custom Molded Ear Plugs:
    I've always preferred ear plugs over ear muffs. Is there any place in or around Reading that will custom fit them for me? I've seen something on the Lower Providence website a while back about members getting a discount (I'm not a member) for a place in the Norristown area but they are a bit farther away than I'd like to travel.

Thanks

Default Re: Shot Timer and Custom Molded Ear Plugs

Buying a shot timer in Berks County is not going to happen. You're going to have to order one online. The only place in Berks that my have one in the shop is the Handgunner in Topton. The other thing you can do is ask to see on the ones in use at the next USPSA or steel match.

Cabelas will do custom molded ear protection. But, you're going to pay Cabela's pricing.

(Mifflin County)

I like my CED 7000. It works well, the battery seems to last almost forever, and it fits nicely in the hand. It's also small and light, so you can wear it on a lanyard around your neck if you wanted to, and not really notice the weight.

I've had mine for a couple years, and haven't had any problems. It's been dropped, it bounces around in the range bag, etc. Generally, it's used for several matches a month, from April until around November.

I've used timers that look like a brick, and it doesn't take long before they feel like you're holding a brick, either. If I had it to do over, I'd buy the CED again.

(Bucks County)

I got earplugs made by Otolarygoloy Plastic Surgery Associates, located in Doylestown. Phone number is 215-348-1152. The ENT (ear nose and throat) doctor there is Stephen C. Mass, M.D.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't aware that Cabelas did custom molded plugs but I would feel more comfortable having a hearing center or ENT do them. I'm guessing they aren't cheap but I do want to go that route at some point.

Coincidentally, I was shooting USPSA out at York on Sunday and our squad was using a CED 7000. It picked up a couple of echos with other squads shooting but all in and it seemed to work very well. I like the size and weight of the unit. I think that is the route I'm going to go. Now to do some price comparisons and order one.

(Allegheny County)

Custom molded plugs are easy to make, you don't need to be an MD.

I had custom earplugs for motorcycling done at Allen Audiology in Allentown. Great staff, decent pricing. I'm planning on going back in a couple months to get a pair done for shooting. They do sell the Westone line of earplugs, which I really like. Check them out, I think you'll like what you find.

http://allenaudiology.com

Westone Ear Plugs

(Bucks County)

There are different options when you get custom earplugs, and those options determine the price. I actually have two sets. One is a set of musicians earplugs that have removable filters that can change the dB level, and they were over $200. But then I got a set for shooting which are just solid rubber, with a string connecting them, and a carry case, and they were less than $100 if I recall correctly.

(Allegheny County)

There used to be a guy in my shooting club who made custom plugs. He'd plug up your ear and pour some goo in which would harden into a plug. I was thinking about getting a set until I looked at the chart which gave the noise attenuation levels for different frequencies. They weren't significantly better, if at all, than the disposable foam plugs. So I stayed with the foam plugs.

They may look cool but I don't think that they are worth the money.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Recruiter View Post
    There used to be a guy in my shooting club who made custom plugs. He'd plug up your ear and pour some goo in which would harden into a plug. I was thinking about getting a set until I looked at the chart which gave the noise attenuation levels for different frequencies. They weren't significantly better, if at all, than the disposable foam plugs. So I stayed with the foam plugs.

They may look cool but I don't think that they are worth the money.
    The custom earplugs aren't supposed to have higher dB ratings than the foam plugs. The idea is to be comfortable, easy to insert and remove, and secure. They can also be cleaned, so it's more sanitary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast