Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Commercial vehicles and carrying.

I've tried searching the web, I've read through the majority of the federal motor carrier handbook and haven't found anything.

I have a co worker that swears that it's illegal to carry in a commercial vehicle, bit can't cite where he knows this from. Today an officer was at our shop and he was talking to him. After a couple minutes they both looked at me while I was backing out of my spot, as I drove by I heard my coworker say "now I don't want tO get him in trouble or anything". This coworker is known for starting drama around the shop. I've asked state troopers, township officers and theyve all said the same thing, only commercial vehicle you can't is a school bus (common sense to me).

Anyone have any insight or possible knowledge?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Commercial vehicles and carrying.

There isn't any federal law against it. Nor any state laws specifically towards commercial vehicles.

The only laws that would prohibit it would be the states that the vehicle travels through. Some allow it, some don't for vehicles(all types). For intermediate states, you are protected on transporting the gun empty and in a closed container under federal law - so long as the start and destination states allow possession.

If you transport in states that honor your license, then you don't have to transport under FOPA guidelines.

However, you can still be fired for it if your company prohibits firearms in their vehicles or on their properties. Which could end up as a trespassing offense in PA. And in some states if the property is posted it could be a specific offense regarding carrying in a posted area.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Company policy dictates it also. My company doesn't allow us to carry in work vehicles. I'm based out of NJ but do work in PA.

I drive propane trucks which according to them makes us a terrorist target but we can just roll over and take it I guess.

(Dauphin County)

I generally stay in the state, if I were to have to leave I leave it at home. We have a company policy that states we can't carry, but I have permission from the owner of the company to allow me to. The advantage to working for a small business, an after being with the company over 3 years he knows he can trust me.

I just turn down the calls that would require me to go prohibited places, schools, army depots/bases, etc.

(Bucks County)

My concern with carrying in commercial vehicles is Act 235 compliance- if it could be argued that you need the weapon as a part of your employment.

Good hypothetical: A truck driver who often picks up large amounts of cash in the performance of his job. Being a possible target (or, if he also carried all the time), he chooses to carry. Would this driver be required to be certified under Act 235? For the sake of argument let's say his boss doesn't require him to carry like an armed guard would be.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    My concern with carrying in commercial vehicles is Act 235 compliance- if it could be argued that you need the weapon as a part of your employment.

Good hypothetical: A truck driver who often picks up large amounts of cash in the performance of his job. Being a possible target (or, if he also carried all the time), he chooses to carry. Would this driver be required to be certified under Act 235? For the sake of argument let's say his boss doesn't require him to carry like an armed guard would be.
    Here's my opinion on that.

I carry while at work, not for work.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post

Act 235 is only required when the employer requires you to carry as a part of your job. If you do so without an employer requirement, on your own accord, then you are carrying like any other Joe Schmo who delivers pizzas.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!