Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Questions- going on tour with a band, LTCF reciprocity, non-resident permits, etc.

Today, I was offered a spot playing guitar for a fairly established band who has quite a few out of state shows planned over the next few months. If I accept the job, I plan on carrying through as many states as legally possible. That's where the questions come in.

I am familiar with the states in which Pennsylvania shares reciprocity, and also the ones that don't. Would obtaining a non-resident permit from a state such as Virginia or Florida for the purpose of maximizing the number of states in which I can legally carry be feasible, and would it be a worthwhile plan of action if so? I was checking the "USA Carry" reciprocity map, and found that both of those states are shall-issue to both residents and non-residents, and that with both PA and either VA/FL permits, I'd be able to lawfully carry in the vast majority of the continental US.

And for states in which there is no way to do so, what would be the smartest way to transport my handgun so that it would be in accordance with local laws? I realize that it will differ from state to state, and I plan on doing the research if I do end up joining, but what would be the most surefire method that most states would find satisfactory?

Like I said, if it comes down to me accepting the position, I plan on doing every last bit of necessary research. I'm just wondering what I can learn from the collective wealth of knowledge that is the PAFOA, preliminarily if anything.

EDIT- The title contains a typo. I meant LTCF, but I'm sure most of you would pick up on that.
    Last edited by cauberallies; March 7th, 2012 at 04:18 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Questions- going on tour with a band, LCTF reciprocity, non-resident permits, etc

You have a bunch of different issues. For example, some states ban carry where alcohol is served. Others, like NY and NJ, you can't have one without a state license.

If the tour has armed bodyguards, ask that company.

Default Re: Questions- going on tour with a band, LCTF reciprocity, non-resident permits, etc

Quote Originally Posted by cauberallies View Post
    EDIT- The title contains a typo. I meant LTCF, but I'm sure most of you would pick up on that.
    You can edit the title using the "go advanced" option when you click "edit".

(Indiana County)

And for states in which there is no way to do so, what would be the smartest way to transport my handgun so that it would be in accordance with local laws?
    Although a collection of nonresident permits/licenses may permit you to carry in a number of states, it's the states "in which there is no way to do so" that's the kicker.

Federal law will "protect" you if you're only passing through, with no stops, firearm unloaded, secured, etc., etc., but if your tour includes New York or New Jersey, you're screwed. Locked and secured elsewhere doesn't cut it for such states.

Go on tour? Go unarmed.

Until SCOTUS straightens things out.

(Erie County)

And for states in which there is no way to do so, what would be the smartest way to transport my handgun so that it would be in accordance with local laws?
    For states that have NO reciprocity, you have to travel completely through
    the state, without detours, or non-essential stops, and have your firearm
    secured and unloaded. So, don't have gigs in these states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Statkowski and Gun already said it, but I'll repeat it for emphasis: There is NO way you can legally transport a firearm in most of the states that don't recognize your permits. Florida is good, but keep in mind in looking at that map that some of the states honoring Florida only honor it for Florida residents.

States like New York, New Jersey, Illinois, even South Carolina are out. Massachusetts is out. Rhode Island is out. Connecticut is out. New Hampshire and Maine are questionable.

You will have to make a decision -- if you join the band, you either tour without the gun, or you take your chances. If you are intent on staying legal, you face a choice of touring without the gun or declining the offer.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: Questions- going on tour with a band, LCTF reciprocity, non-resident permits, etc

now that you have some great information I feel I can chime in with a question. Which band?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Statkowski and Gun already said it, but I'll repeat it for emphasis: There is NO way you can legally transport a firearm in most of the states that don't recognize your permits.
    Not true.

States like New York, New Jersey,
    True.

Illinois,
    Not sure about that, please check for yourself.

even South Carolina are out
    I think you can transport LOADED in South Carolina with the handgun in glovebox, but I always get this one confused so check for yourself.

Massachusetts is out.
    For his scenario, Massachusetts would be out without a non-resident permit, which he can get but it's a pain and pricey.

New Hampshire and Maine are questionable.
    I'm pretty sure he can transport in both.

(Erie County)

OP, wouldn't the groupies protect you?!!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Questions- going on tour with a band, LTCF reciprocity, non-resident permits, etc

It might be helpful to know exactly which states the shows will take place in and/or you the states you will be doing anything other than stopping for food, gas, lodging, or restroom breaks.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast