Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Got denied 2 years ago but now...

Ok here's my story.... About 2 years ago I lived in mountgumry county (now I live in bucks ) but anyway I went to get my ccp and they made me go to my local police station and get a report of my records so I did and there was so little things on there like under aged drinking and I speeding ticket but anyway I went back to the courthouse in what I think is in newtown so the same shaffe look at it and said " ha no way am I giving you a permit" so then I left......now I moved to Dublin and applied and 20 min later walked out with my permit... Now it always bugged me why I got denied in the first place... Any thoughts?

Default Re: Got denied 2 years ago but now...

from the sounds of it the sheriff at montgomery was breaking the law by not following the UFA. Neither underage drinking nor speeding is a prohibitive offense. So he screwed you over.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Vsgiovinazzo View Post
    Ok here's my story.... About 2 years ago I lived in mountgumry county (now I live in bucks ) but anyway I went to get my ccp and they made me go to my local police station and get a report of my records so I did and there was so little things on there like under aged drinking and I speeding ticket but anyway I went back to the courthouse in what I think is in newtown so the same shaffe look at it and said " ha no way am I giving you a permit" so then I left......now I moved to Dublin and applied and 20 min later walked out with my permit... Now it always bugged me why I got denied in the first place... Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    from the sounds of it the sheriff at montgomery was breaking the law by not following the UFA. Neither underage drinking nor speeding is a prohibitive offense. So he screwed you over.
    Maybe he denied on the character clause. You should have gotten written reason why you were denied.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

Yeah that's true..I wish I knew then what I know now. But that has always got under my skin... Thanks for the insight

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Vsgiovinazzo View Post
    Ok here's my story.... About 2 years ago I lived in mountgumry county (now I live in bucks ) but anyway I went to get my ccp and they made me go to my local police station and get a report of my records so I did ...

Any thoughts?
    The sheriff made YOU go get your records?!!?

Has this happen to anyone else, in Montgomery Co.?

Hmmmm ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post

Hmmmm ....
    With new applicants the sheriff has the local police investigate your character. You go to your local PD, fill out a card and they send it to the sheriffs office attesting that you are not a menace to public safety. Once the sheriff has received it (generally a week or two) you take your application to norristown and you are in and out in 20 minutes.

Personally, I like the system as it means I only need to take one trip to norristown. I also don't see anything in the law that forbids the sheriff from delegating his duty to investigate (the local PD would be more likely to have made contact with troublemakers as opposed to the sheriff who has no real law enforcement duties)
    Last edited by vicious; March 7th, 2012 at 09:07 AM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by vicious View Post
    With new applicants the sheriff has the local police investigate your character. You go to your local PD, fill out a card and they send it to the sheriffs office attesting that you are not a menace to public safety. ...

Doesn't matter if you are a new applicant or not. The sheriff investigates
    off of the information that is on the application, as this is his responsibility.
    The sheriff has access to the same info the local police have access to. Of
    course, Phillie seems to have their own set of rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

With new applicants the sheriff has the local police investigate your character. You go to your local PD, fill out a card and they send it to the sheriffs office attesting that you are not a menace to public safety. Once the sheriff has received it (generally a week or two) you take your application to norristown and you are in and out in 20 minutes.

Personally, I like the system as it means I only need to take one trip to norristown. I also don't see anything in the law that forbids the sheriff from delegating his duty to investigate (the local PD would be more likely to have made contact with troublemakers as opposed to the sheriff who has no real law enforcement duties)
    The point is that the sheriff is required to complete the investigation. You are not required to do the work for him under the law. If he wants to call or send a paper to the local PD and ask them to fill it out, I see no problem with that. If the local PD refuses, the sheriff should not be allowed to use that as a reason to deny a LTCF, as there is no requirement under the law that any other PD assist the sheriff in or complete the background investigation for the sheriff.

I do see a problem with him placing extra requirements outside the UFA on the applicant, requiring the applicant to supply forms in addition to the single page form designed by the PSP that the law allows for, and using the completion of/submission of these forms a requirement for obtaining a LTCF.

The sheriff is in violation of the law as written. That is a problem.

(Bucks County)

Well I like the way they do it it bucks... I mean that's bs if they can just denie you like that..... And if something as little as under aged drinking makes me a troublemaker I guess 98% of us are lol

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post

Hmmmm ....
    And yes he did...so I went to hatboro police station got my paper work and the sargent to sign then I had to drive it back to norristown

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast