Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Old Law

(Lancaster County)

Default Old Law

Back in the 70's I recall that to get a Permit to carry a concealed handgun you had to almost know the Sherriff or knew someone that did and it was up to him and only him if he wanted to grant you the permit. I was reading where sometime in the early 80's someone challenged it in a court and won. So when you go to the courthouse and apply for a permit,they run your name etc thru the computer for record check which takes only min. now days. Who then decides if you are granted a permit?
    What offenses would prohibit someone from getting a permit?
    Also, If someone has a permit to carry- do they also need some type of registration paper on the gun as well?
    Last edited by charlie1; March 6th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Old Law

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1 View Post
    Back in the 70's I recall that to get a Permit to carry a concealed handgun you had to almost know the Sherriff or knew someone that did and it was up to him and only him if he wanted to grant you the permit. I was reading where sometime in the early 80's someone challenged it in a court and won. So when you go to the courthouse and apply for a permit,they run your name etc thru the computer for record check which takes only min. now days. Who then decides if you are granted a permit?
    What offenses would prohibit someone from getting a permit?
    The sheriff issues the license based on a standard set in the law. If you qualify, the sheriff must issue the license.

See here to read about what could disqualify you:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/383...-firearms.html
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Dauphin County)

Also, If someone has a permit to carry- do they also need some type of registration paper on the gun as well?
    Nope.

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Monroe County)

Back in the 70's I recall that to get a Permit to carry a concealed handgun you had to almost know the Sherriff or knew someone that did and it was up to him and only him if he wanted to grant you the permit.
    Yep at least around Northampton County. It was very discriminatory.

Even in the early-mid 80s , the primary gun you wished to carry had to be listed on the license. If you had more than one , it would read , for example;

Colt Detective Special .38 cal , 2in bbl , ser.no. 1234567 , 'and others''.

They said you had to list or register any other gun you wanted to carry with them (Montco Sheriffs dept). One Sheriff actually tried to make qualification mandatory for every gun you wanted to carry. You could do it at the then-new Norristown PD indoor range , for a small fee of course. $25 IIRC. This was pretty much a scam to help the NPD pay for their range. That Sheriff and his policy didn't last long.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Back in the 70's I recall that to get a Permit to carry a concealed handgun you had to almost know the Sherriff or knew someone that did and it was up to him and only him if he wanted to grant you the permit. ...
    That's how it was. Permits were issued based on who you knew, or how much "pull" you had with the local establishment or gentry. And, three letters of reference from folks of unimpeachable character were mandatory.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Pike County)

Who then decides if you are granted a permit?
    Law does. At least in 40 or so states. Like in PA. Sheriff's office is merely issuing the license to carry to ANY law abiding (i.e. not prohibited by the law from buying/owning/carrying a firearm) citizen, that wishes to apply for it. This system is commonly called "shall issue".

Few states (like NJ) practice discretionary issue (so-called "may issue"), when you are really have to know some "people". Which means an ordinary law abiding Joe may kiss the idea of obtaining the permit good bye.

And the last "no issue" state is Illinois, that doesn't have any related regulations (to my knowledge) hence doesn't issue such permits at all.
    Je suis déplorable

(Lawrence County)

Back in the 70's I recall that to get a Permit to carry a concealed handgun you had to almost know the Sherriff or knew someone that did and it was up to him and only him if he wanted to grant you the permit.
    I got my 1st permit from the city Police Chief. After 2 > 3 renewals I was advised to use the Sheriff. They used to print them on some pretty thin paper that you had to emboss yourself or else they'd fall apart in your wallet.

Also, they were only good for one year. Even the first 5yr LTFC's were printed on some cheezy card stock. At least the newer plastic is a little more durable.
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.