Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Savage Hog Hunter

Hello all,

I wanted to speak with some of you about my New Savage Hog Hunter. I per-ordered this gun with out seeing it in person. I guess that was my first mistake. I relied on my experience I have with my 93 in 17 hmr. Which is my most favorite small caliber gun. I did not have the same experience with the hog hunter.

When I got the box in my hand i was so excited, I per-ordered this gun about 6 weeks ago. It came in earlier than I expected. My first let down was that my gun was just in the box without any plastic sleeve like many of my other new guns have come with. I noticed that the receiver had made contact with the box and rubbed the matte finish off. Then I noticed that the bolt head was rusted. I cleaned it a little, then I stopped. Realizing that I should be cleaning the rust off a new gun. Then the worst of the worst. The stock, It is a much lighter color than what is shown on the website. Not only that. The injection molding marks are horrible. I have many guns with syn stocks. If the time is taken, you have a great stock, This stock has sloppy injection molding marks all over it. It looks like a cheap Chinese toy. Not only that. The stock is crooked,....I know they will not be perfect. This can't be normal. This is so far off,....I just don't have words..... I am so disappointed. I had pre-ordered a base, rings, a nice nikon 3x9x50 and am even have JP making a custom break for this gun because I got it in 338.....I'm at a loss for words. Is this typical for Savage?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Savage Hog Hunter

I think that's more of who you got it from and not really Savage. I just passed on one of their hunter models cause it felt like a cheap plastic toy. I bought a Weatherby instead but i have used them before and know their good guns. Sorry to hear about your new rifle that bolt is atrocious, i would contact the shop that sold it.

(Berks County)

I contacted the shop, it was a special order, they got it from savage, and the same day shipped to me. On the savage box there is a inspection stamp date of the 3 of February. I am actually considering completely returning the gun and getting my money back. A new stock is still look cheap and crappy even if they fix the alignment problems.

(Butler County)

That rust on a brand new gun would be a major bitching point. Return my money or give me a new gun. On second thought just give me my money back, I'll buy something else.

(Westmoreland County)

Have bought 3 Savage bolt-action guns, all in perfect condition upon delivery.

I'd either return it to the shop you bought it through, or call up Savage and raise hell...that's not acceptable.

(Delaware County)

I'm no expert bust rust on a brand-new rifle? That thing wouldn't have come home from the store that ordered it for me. I would be pissed if I ordered a surplus mosin-nagant and got a rusted one! Let alone a brand-new rifle.

Get on the horn with savage and get it fixed (aka replaced with a new rifle, and some extra shit for your trouble) *AT THEIR EXPENSE* you did your part, now they must do theirs. If they won't, chargeback (assuming you paid via credit card). If you paid cash and they refuse to fix it? well..... I got nothing.

EDIT:
    With that quality of craftsmanship, I wouldn't even attempt to fire it. Who knows what other hidden defects it could have....
    Last edited by stimrob; March 7th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.

(Berks County)

It's on it's way Via UPS. I am just hoping when they get it. They see that I'm not blowing smoke. When I first spoke with Savage, they didn't even want to see the pictures I had. They just wanted the rifle back. If the send me a fixed gun or a new gun and it has the same stock or type of stock on it. I am going to request a replacement. If they do not replace it I am going to return it. I am going to contact them the day after they get the gun and try to see what they are going to do with it. If they are not going to do anything I am going to have them send it back to where I bought it and get a refund.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunjack View Post
    I contacted the shop, it was a special order, they got it from savage, and the same day shipped to me. On the savage box there is a inspection stamp date of the 3 of February. I am actually considering completely returning the gun and getting my money back. A new stock is still look cheap and crappy even if they fix the alignment problems.
    So the shop shipped it directly to you? You didn't go to the shop, look at the gun and fill out the paperwork?
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Berks County)

I bought the gun online. It was a pre-order. I reserved it like 4 weeks ago. It was shipped to my ffl. I looked the gun quickly when I picked it up. I did a closer inspection when I got home, and there found the issues.

Savage will take care of you...a few months ago some wannabe "gunsmith" stated he ordered my sear twice, so I called Savage...I ended up talking to the VP of customer service and he took care of me.

There are some defects with your rifle and QC surely slipped by allowing your rifle to reach your hands. My question is...why did you take the rifle home? I fully inspect what I'm buying prior to doing the paperwork.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace that factory stock, seeing how it looks cheap...even though the holes have been drilled incorrectly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast