Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Pistol

(Bucks County)

Default First Pistol

Started the process two months ago with a lesson, and since than have been practicing weekly at the range with a couple of different rentals. After firing some and handling others, settled on the S&W M&P9 for my first pistol. I picked it up yesterday:

Ordered it with the thumb safety and no mag safety. Test cartridge was fired 2/12/12 and it arrived at the dealer on 2/24/12, so it seems pretty young The slide was difficult to operate out of the box.

Stripped it down, found a lot of oil inside as expected. Some folks mentioned they had found a thick coating of grease in theirs, but in my case the oil seemed about the consistency of Hoppe's oil. Cleaned as much as I could with only a field strip and then put 6 little dabs back.

I've dry fired it about 50 times now, and it feels like a tight but smoothly functioning machine . . . and that's a big difference from my first rack and trigger pull out-of-the-box. If my pistol is representative, I really would never expect 100% performance when taking the pistol directly from the box to the range.

Back to the trigger . . . I'm a noob at this stuff, so take this description for what its worth. This trigger has a light but consistent tension during most of its travel. It then hits a short second stage where the tension is higher and there's a mild grinding feeling, which I guess is the "Gritty" feel folks talk about. The final stage is like breaking through a wall . . . a higher consistent tension until the trigger finally breaks.

To me, it really feels like a 3-stage trigger. And it makes me wish I had paid more attention to the Glock 17 and Ruger SR9 triggers I've been renting for the last few weeks to do a comparison. All I can say at this point is it's very clear to me where the trigger is on its travel because of the 3 distinctly different "feels". We'll see how I deal with it in a couple of days when I bring it to the range. Can't wait!

In order to save gas, I ordered a Ruger SR22 (est 4 wks) while I was at Tanners so that the M&P doesn't get lonely. And no, my wife didn't buy the rationale either
    Last edited by Twoboxer; March 4th, 2012 at 04:24 AM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: First Pistol

You got a good handgun there. I have been CCW my S&W M&P .45 4"bbl for about 2 years now and I love it compared to my Glock 23 that i got rid of. I think the M&P is 100 times better than the Glock.

(Carbon County)

excellent choice....good luck with it.

(Chester County)

That's a great gun to have for a first one.

(Delaware County)

I love my M&P Ive been flirting with the idea of buying the Apex kit and upgrading the trigger among other things but for what i need the pistol for it works perfectly fine. Over 4000 rounds down the pipe and never a malfunction of any sort.
    *S&W M&P9 *Remington 870 *Ruger 10/22 *CAI SAR-1 AKM

(Bucks County)

You'll love the Ruger SR22! FUN stuff!

My husband wants the M&P .40 for his birthday this summer...he's still researching, but he thinks he's narrowed it down to that. He went into Tanners and compared that and the SR40c and preferred the feel of the M&P in his hand. So we'll see.

Right now he carries a Sigma 9mm (someone gave it to him) and/or the Bodyguard.

All mine are Rugers.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Pike County)

Good choice, the M&P 9 was my first pistol too. Got her in October and I have put 600-800 rounds through her. I find the trigger to be fine and have no plans on upgrading it. I installed the Trijicon Novak night sights and plan on adding a Tac Light then a Crimson Trace red dot.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Luzerne County)

I cannot say enough good things about the Apex kit. It will resolve all of the trigger pull issues you speak of. That out of the way, excellent choice on the M&P.

(Philadelphia County)

I recently got an M&P9c. I was researching them a little but not really intent on buying one right away. Stumbled onto a deal I couldn't pass up and jumped on it. I like it a lot more than I expected to. It's my first polymer pistol, though I own or have owned many other handguns over the years. I've shot many Glocks and an XD, shot them all well, too, but never really wanted to own one. (I really want to like Glocks. I've got a real appreciation for them. I feel like a G19 could be someone's "one and only gun" and would be a great choice. I just get one in my hand and I don't like them.) I'm glad to own the M&P. My daughter likes it too. Only one range session so far but it was a good one. I'm already wondering how long I can resist a full-size 9mm w/5" barrel or a 45c.
    Last edited by Jim PHL; March 4th, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
    Be Safe,
    Jim

(Monroe County)

I have a Glock 17 and had a M&P .40c. The Glock trigger pull is better out of the box. I never had anything but problems with the .40c but the issues I was having were specific to my model. The M&P will serve you well. The trigger will smooth out over time. If you still think it's gritty after 1000 rounds buy the APEX kit. Good luck and good shooting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast