Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Union County)

Default Shotgun Grus Just ordered a......

I have a question for you shotgun grus--

I wanted to get another O/U shotgun to play a few of the modern shotgun games. I had every intention of getting a Browning or Weatherby but my dealer talked into ordering a Franchi Renaissance Elite.

How does the Franchi stack up against the Browning or Weatherby?

Thanks
    grizz

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Shotgun Grus Just ordered a......

There was recently an article on Franchi Shotguns in either American Rifleman (NRA) or Guns or Ammo. I dont remember which, I read a lot.

They basically said the Franchi is an excelent firearm, and it easily stacks up or goes above the competition. I have never shot one, nor know anything else about it, and for what that article was worth, I wouldnt think twice about buying one.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Delaware County)

I'll second that, I've owned a few Franchi over and unders and a couple of auto-loaders and never had any problems to speak of. The fit and finish is excellent and quality top notch. They won't let you down! Good shooting.

(Allegheny County)

Go with what you want, get the Browning that's what I do. Once you have it it's yours forever and thats just how long it will last. The Weatherby (it's an SKB) is OK but I would buy the Browning. Brownings don't wear out they wear in. I have well over 30,000 rounds out of my 525 (it's just a nicely done Citori) and it's still very tight. My buddy bought a nice SKB Competition a short time after I bought my 525 - His is in Japan getting fixed and I'm still shooting my Browning.
    Good Luck,
    Jim
    It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it!

(Montgomery County)

Franchi may be one of the best shotguns dollar for dollar.

Reviews I have read have been favorable enough for me to place my order......
    Franchi Renaissance Elite, 12 Ga. 28", $1690.00 + tax.

But first and foremost with a shotgun you should always handle one before buying. Much depends on how it shoulders and points for each individual. They are not alike and one may suit you better than another.

Don't buy strictly on brand name, it has to fit you right.

Price wise I think I am in a decent range.

(Bedford County)

In general franchi is a good shotgun, almost on par with Browning or Beretta. Weatherby O/U's are really made by SKB and are also decent shotguns almost on par with Browning and Beretta. Neither company is quite up to Browning or Beretta's standards on quality, parts available or U.S. customer service.

Did you get your hands on this gun before ordering? Fit means everything, and with that new type recoil pad...it might not be easy to reduce the OAL of the stock.

Also, if you told your dealer you wanted a gun for clay games...why did he order you a 6 pound field gun?

The receiver of that gun is alloy. Browning made a O/U called the "feather" with an alloy frame and it was dropped due to frame failures. That is a big problem if you plan on putting a fairly high number of rounds thru the gun.

The good news is that Franchi is owned by Beretta and takes the same choke tubes. Beretta is also trying to improve Franchi's U.S. customer service which has been less than stellar over the years.

Good luck with your new Franchi!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    The receiver of that gun is alloy. Browning made a O/U called the "feather" with an alloy frame and it was dropped due to frame failures. That is a big problem if you plan on putting a fairly high number of rounds thru the gun.
    "Alloy" is a broad term and covers many types of metals used in firearms, to include steel, aluminum, and forgings. In the case of the Renaissance Elite the receiver is an aluminum alloy with steel alloy inserts in high pressure areas.

Now if I really knew what I was talking about I could tell you what grade of aluminum and what type of steel........ , unfortunately I do not know.

An educated guess is the alloy steel inserts are a chrome-moly alloy, AISI Grades 41XX or 43XX.

As for the aluminum alloy I have absolutely no clue. But I can say amazing strength can be introduced in aluminum depending on the chemistry of the piece.

Whatever it is I hope it does better than Browning.
    Last edited by Shamu; April 19th, 2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: SP.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
    "Alloy" is a broad term and covers many types of metals used in firearms, to include steel, aluminum, and forgings. In the case of the Renaissance Elite the receiver is an aluminum alloy with steel alloy inserts in high pressure areas.

Now if I really knew what I was talking about I could tell you what grade of aluminum and what type of steel........ , unfortunately I do not know.

An educated guess is the alloy steel inserts are a chrome-moly alloy, AISI Grades 41XX or 43XX.

As for the aluminum alloy I have absolutely no clue. But I can say amazing strength can be introduced in aluminum depending on the chemistry of the piece.

Whatever it is I hope it does better than Browning.

The Browning Feather used a stainless steel breech face that was dove tailed into the alloy frame. It also used a stainless hinge pin. It still had problems.

That said... I own a Browning Feather XS Sporting in 28 gauge and have had ZERO problems with it. I guess the light recoil of the 28 and 410 will last much longer.

I'm not flaming over the Franchi...so no disrespect intended. I'm simply stating facts. Perhaps Franchi will perfect the alloy O/U receiver.

Good luck.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    I'm not flaming over the Franchi...so no disrespect intended. I'm simply stating facts. Perhaps Franchi will perfect the alloy O/U receiver.
    Certainly understood and my comment was not meant as a defense of Franchi.

Working in metals I just wanted others to know that saying "alloy" receiver really tells you nothing. An alloy is a combination of elements used to form a metal. There is an awful lot contributing to the quality of the alloy.

For example in a chrome-moly steel like AISI 4130 there are 8 elements used to make that specific alloy. In AISI 4340 there are also 8 elements but the percentages of the elements change. Going further most alloys can also be heat treated to varying degrees of hardness / toughness.

(Going of track a wee bit the Germans in WWII used some cheap steel in their artillery bores and nitrided them to get the wear resistance. Amazing what can be done to different alloys.)

These alloys can then be made into forgings, billets, castings or stampings which is another quality factor.

FYI...forgings are usually the strongest form of alloy. Has to do with grain alignment in forged material which I could not really explain.

Sometimes people who read these type forums can benefit from others comments. If someone learns that alloy only tells you it's a certain combination of elements to make a metal it may inspire them to look for a little more detail with regard to their purchase.

Hope I'm not boring anyone..........metallurgy can be a boring subject.
    Last edited by Shamu; April 20th, 2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: SP..added comment

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
    Hope I'm not boring anyone..........metallurgy can be a boring subject.
    Let's reframe it as "Blingology".

MIM and casting is a low form of Bling, with Hyperuetics and forging on the higher end of blingology.

Of course, everything looks better in hard chrome.

Lycannotsoboringthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.