Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fayetteville County Courthouse

Went up to Uniontown today (a quick 20 minute drive for me from WV) to get my PA non resident LTCF. We don't have reciprocity with GA or TX, and I'm going to be going to both of those places. I was a little nervous about the whole firearms check thing since there was a sign outside that said NO FIREARMS ON COUNTY PROPERTY, but I knew about PA preemption and the gun locker requirement. Walked on up to the deputy, a real Gomer Pyle, probably the sheriff's cousin or there's no way he'd have gotten a badge and gun, and here's how it went:

Me: hi, I need to check my firearm.
    Gomer: are you a constable?
    M: Nope, just a citizen, but you're required to provide a locker for me.
    G: OK, just need to see your permit (I was CC due to my jacket).
    M: OK, here you go.
    G: give me your firearm and I'll put it in The locker.
    M: Surrenders firearm and watches him put it in the locker. "Do I get a receipt or anything?
    G: Nope, we don't do that here.
    M: Okayyyyy.... (didn't want to argue that it was unlawful right then. Just wanted to conduct by business and get out)

Got my permit in 20 minutes - so much faster and cheaper than WV!

Overall an easy and OK experience, but the no receipt thing really concerned me. I'm guessing they don't get too many firearms checked there, though.

Ran into another guy from Morgantown who works there as I was picking up my gun, and he started asking me about it. He said they had told him he couldn't bring a gun to the courthouse. Luckily, I had a printout of the applicable state laws with me (just in case there was a problem). I gave them to him, discussed a couple of laws, told him to read up for himself since I'm not a lawyer, and referred him here!

I think I'll be contacting someone about the no receipt situation. PA residents, any idea who that official should be?

Default Re: Fayetteville County Courthouse

Did you get the locker key? All of the gun lockers I've seen work like a bus station locker. You put your item in, close the door, turn the key and remove it. Every courthouse locker I've used is like this.

Nope, no receipt, no key, no token, no "nuthin'"

Like I said earlier, this deputy was a real Gomer Pyle. I'll be writing someone in the Fayette Co. Government. Lucky for me, the only time I need to visit a PA courthouse is for firearms reasons. In WV, we don't have metal detectors at the entrances to courthouses. Unfortunately, it's still illegal to carry in there and we don't have any methods to check firearms at the entrances... Yet.
    Last edited by lwheatcraft; March 4th, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Poor wording choice

I should clarify what I meant by "firearms reasons:" to renew my LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by lwheatcraft View Post
    I think I'll be contacting someone about the no receipt situation. PA residents, any idea who that official should be?
    Gary D. Brownfield, Sr.
    Sheriff
    Fayette County Courthouse. 61 East Main Street. Uniontown, PA 15401. Telephone: 724-430-1295.

Was the locker right there where the guard was? No receipt (key, tag, etc.) of any kind is definitely wrong and not in accordance with the statute.

And what difference does it make if the person is a constable or not?

(Indiana County)

Here's the extract from Section 913 of the Uniform Firearms Act:

(e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.--Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d).

(Jefferson County)

Even though they are supposed to issue a "receipt" - I prefer the non-interactive method of the gun owner putting it in the locker and taking the key like how some court houses do it. Those that do it often just want to know which locker number you picked. ...less hassle and saves time. The key is effectively a receipt.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Gary D. Brownfield, Sr.
    Sheriff
    Fayette County Courthouse. 61 East Main Street. Uniontown, PA 15401. Telephone: 724-430-1295.

Was the locker right there where the guard was? No receipt (key, tag, etc.) of any kind is definitely wrong and not in accordance with the statute.

And what difference does it make if the person is a constable or not?
    Nope. The ultimate decision on county facilities rests with the County Commissioners and their solicitor. That's where the letters should go. It really seems like a waste of time. From what's been described, as provided in the UFA, locker were there.

Quote Originally Posted by lwheatcraft View Post
    Nope, no receipt, no key, no token, no "nuthin'"

Like I said, Gomer Pyle. I'll be writing someone in the Fayette Co. Government. Lucky for me, the only time I need to visit a PA courthouse is for firearms reasons. In WV, we don't have metal detectors at the entrances to courthouses. Unfortunately, it's still illegal to carry in there and we don't have any methods to check firearms at the entrances... Yet.
    Wow, you come here for help and start calling people Gomer Pyle.

BTW. There is no Fayetteville County Courthouse in PA. But, we do have a Fayette County and it's courthouse is in Uniontown, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by bob.mail View Post
    Wow, you come here for help and start calling people Gomer Pyle.

BTW. There is no Fayetteville County Courthouse in PA. But, we do have a Fayette County and it's courthouse is in Uniontown, PA.
    Wasn't calling YOU Gomer Pyle. I was referring to the deputy at the metal detector. And I think my autocorrect changed Fayette to Fayetteville. Sorry for any confusion/misinterpretation/poor writing skills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast