Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default NFA Experience in North Wales?

I'm interested in buying a suppressor. I've been reading, you need to get your local police chief to sign off on the paperwork. Many have stated that some CLEO will not sign it. Anyone lived in North Wales Montgomery Co. who have done this before? Will the North Wales Borough Police Chief sign it? If not, is there a way around it? I don't want to spend the money and find out that the CLEO will refuse.

Thanks in advance!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: NFA Experience in North Wales?

The current Montgomery county sheriff will sign NFA paperwork if your local PD chief refuses to do so.
    Try your local PD first, but if they refuse, then take both forms to the courthouse in Norristown, to the same room where you apply for a carry permit. You may have to explain what it is to the officer at the desk, depending on who's working that day.
    I got my signed copies back after about a week.

(Montgomery County)

I just picked up my SBR paperwork from the Montco Sheriff's office last week (about a 2 week turn-around time). Just go to the LTCF office and tell the counter guy that you're dropping off NFA paperwork. He will ask you for your driver's license or if you already have a LTCF. If you already have your LTCF, they will look up the info on their system and you do not need to give them your driver's license. Ask for a sticky note so you can write your name and phone number for them to call when the paperwork is done. They've seen my face plenty there and already recognize me before I even say anything

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the response. I think I will try the Sheriff. I just got off the phone with my local PD. I wanted to ask if the Chief will sign my paperwork for me before I pay for the item. Lady at front desk immediately changes her tone and rushes me off the phone the minute I mention NFA firearm. She didn't even let me finish explaining what I needed to do. Told me that they are not my local PD but Montgomerville Dept. is. "Call them!” and hung up. I’m confused, my address says North Wales. Why aren’t they me local PD?
    This is the North Wales Borough PD at 300 School St.

(Montgomery County)

Just save yourself the trouble and go to the Montco Sheriff. It doesn't get any easier than dropping off the form and picking it up in two weeks.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deliemma View Post
    Thanks for the response. I think I will try the Sheriff. I just got off the phone with my local PD. I wanted to ask if the Chief will sign my paperwork for me before I pay for the item. Lady at front desk immediately changes her tone and rushes me off the phone the minute I mention NFA firearm. She didn't even let me finish explaining what I needed to do. Told me that they are not my local PD but Montgomerville Dept. is. "Call them!” and hung up. I’m confused, my address says North Wales. Why aren’t they me local PD?
    This is the North Wales Borough PD at 300 School St.
    North Wales borough is really tiny. See the greyed area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=north+...sqi=2&t=m&z=14

North Wales addresses on the other hand cover a much larger area, look like a freaking Rorschach blob and certainly do include some of Montgomery Township

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=19454+...sqi=2&t=m&z=13
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for clearing my confusion with the township line.

At least she was telling the truth. I would of appreciated more if she would have told me that in a nice calm matter, instead of "you want what?, you buy what? from where?". "NO, we don't do that, we don't have time for that". "We're not your Dept., Montgomeryville is, call them!" Click!!

If the Sheriff is NFA friendly, I'll just take that route.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    Just save yourself the trouble and go to the Montco Sheriff. It doesn't get any easier than dropping off the form and picking it up in two weeks.
    RXM,

Does the Sheriff office actually call you when the form 4 is signed or did you call them to check whether it's ready or not?

Thanks

(Montgomery County)

They will call you when your form is ready to be picked up. Put a sticky note on your form with your full name and phone number and they will call that number.

(Montgomery County)

Wow...this is a recent developement? Montgomery County PA....????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast