Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Berks County Firearm FAQ

I was looking for directions on renewing my LTCF and found this in the FAQs section. I tried to do a search to see if this has been brought up before.

(8) What should I do if I am stopped by a law enforcement officer while carrying a weapon with my Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms?

Immediately tell the officer that you are carrying a weapon and that you are licensed to do so while your hands are visible to the officer. Follow the officer's instructions completely. For safety reasons, the officer may secure your weapon while they verify your license to carry firearms.

I'm suprised to see that we are being told to inform by Sheriff's department. But then again, maybe I'm not. For officers safety, ya know?
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Berks County Firearm FAQ

They can probably get away with it by saying "should" instead of stating you are required to inform. Still no es bueno in my book.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKos View Post
    ... Immediately tell the officer that you are carrying a weapon...
    Shout I HAVE A GUN!, right?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKos View Post
    I was looking for directions on renewing my LTCF and found this in the FAQs section. I tried to do a search to see if this has been brought up before.

(8) What should I do if I am stopped by a law enforcement officer while carrying a weapon with my Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms?

Immediately tell the officer that you are carrying a weapon and that you are licensed to do so while your hands are visible to the officer. Follow the officer's instructions completely. For safety reasons, the officer may secure your weapon while they verify your license to carry firearms.

I'm suprised to see that we are being told to inform by Sheriff's department. But then again, maybe I'm not. For officers safety, ya know?
    The Sheriff's dept can tell you or advice you to only carry a left handed revolver while wearing loafers, and knit hat. There is no law in Pa that requires you to notify anyone of anything. Just leave it at that. There's no reason to push an issue where there isn't an issue. You're only going to get it in some lawmakers head that we should have a duty to notify.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob.mail View Post
    The Sheriff's dept can tell you or advice you to only carry a left handed revolver while wearing loafers, and knit hat. There is no law in Pa that requires you to notify anyone of anything. Just leave it at that. There's no reason to push an issue where there isn't an issue. You're only going to get it in some lawmakers head that we should have a duty to notify.
    I largely agree with you. Just to clarify though:

They can advise (as in suggest) anything they want, as long as it's clear it's a suggestion. They are forbidden to tell (as in attempt to require) anyone how to carry though.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6120: Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition
    (a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.
    Last edited by twency; February 29th, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob.mail View Post
    The Sheriff's dept can tell you or advice you to only carry a left handed revolver while wearing loafers, and knit hat.

How do you know how I carry? You spying on me thru the emails?
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.