Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Almost had to draw

This incident happened a few hours ago, I'm still pissed so I'll do my best at explaining.

I work for a towing company that does a substantial amount of illegally parked car removal. Today I took a call to remove a car from an apartment complex. I hopped in my wrecker and got to the car. Pulled it out of the spot when the owner came running out. (you know how you can just tell someone is going to give you a hard time and could possibly be violent? This guy was sending this signal.) I called me dispatcher and said call the cops, call the cops and had to hang up the phone. The guy is yelling and screaming at me, waving his arms and constantly adjusting his footing. Then he squared off at me, at this point shit got real. I took two steps back discreetly redialed my dispatcher and placed the phone in my pocket so she could hear what was going on.

After containing my composure and trying to explain why it was being removed and stepped forward and squared again. I took two more steps back and moved my strong side away from him and told him not to come any closer. He began to talk about "kicking my ass". I could feel my phone vibrating from my dispatcher calling me but I wasn't going to answer just incase he saw that as his opportunity. After approx 3 mintues of him yelling more he stepped closer. I took 2 more steps back and placed my hand on my firearm but didn't reveal.

At this point his wife came out and he walked away and I discussed it with her. Things calmed down and they went inside. I called my dispatcher asking if she called the police, which she had not because she didn't know where I was. All of our trucks are gps tracked and every dispatcher and manager has 24/7 access to the program to see us. I did end up leaving with the car.

On my way back to our shop I called the owner and told him what happened. I asked if we had an initial plan if a driver calls in a situation like this. Apparently we don't. So tomorrow morning I'm going to sit down with my manager and make an emergency plan. I'm still pissed at the fact that I called for help and nothing was done. But things will change or I will not work for this company anymore.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Almost had to draw

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    I called me dispatcher and said call the cops...
    Ya mate, and did you say, "Sod off, wanker! Don't get your knickers in a twist!" and then leave that nutter's arse in shambles?

(Dauphin County)

...I took two steps back discreetly redialed my dispatcher and placed the phone in my pocket so she could hear what was going on.

After containing my composure and trying to explain why it was being removed and stepped forward and squared again. I took two more steps back and moved my strong side away from him and told him not to come any closer. He began to talk about "kicking my ass". I could feel my phone vibrating from my dispatcher calling me...
    What happened with the phone in between the bolded parts? Did you hang up? Dispatcher hung up? "End call" button got pushed in your pocket?

Doesn't really affect the story overall, I'm just curious because it jumped out at me as I was reading your account.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Where's your pepper spray pal? Easier than court fees and an unknown outcome.
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    What happened with the phone in between the bolded parts? Did you hang up? Dispatcher hung up? "End call" button got pushed in your pocket?

Doesn't really affect the story overall, I'm just curious because it jumped out at me as I was reading your account.
    I believe she hung up.

Quote Originally Posted by GregorOneEye View Post
    Where's your pepper spray pal? Easier than court fees and an unknown outcome.
    I won't carry pepper spray. This guys demeanor was not showing much restraint. Constant limb and facial twitching, hands fumbling in pockets, I didn't want to leave the outcome up to him. Now that I'm calming down I can remember smaller details

(Luzerne County)

Glad you made it out of the situation in once piece. I hope you are able to get the ball rolling on the emergency plan with your employer.

I do have one question, was getting back into your truck an option at any point?

(Delaware County)

I won't carry pepper spray.
    Why? That's really really dumb in your profession.

You were really afraid of dying to this individual? Was he carrying a weapon? Was he bigger than you? Are you disabled?

Again, seriously, not carrying a good pepper spray in your profession is really dumb, for you.

And again, why?
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by GregorOneEye View Post
    Why? That's really really dumb in your profession.

You were really afraid of dying to this individual? Was he carrying a weapon? Was he bigger than you? Are you disabled?

Again, seriously, not carrying a good pepper spray in your profession is really dumb, for you.

And again, why?
    Yes he was bigger than me, I'm not disabled but I have spinal issues from a car accident. Body langauge, fumbling in his pockets, verbal threats, yes I was concerned. It's my personal choice not to carry it. For pepper spray to be effective you must spray the face correct? What about wind?

Getting in my truck was an option but I was not able to drive away because the vehicle was only hooked for removal from spot, I had to unhook and get to the front of the car to actually tow it. So I waited til he had gone in his apartment to put the vehicle down so he did have an option to jump in the car and try to take off.

(Franklin County)

Pepper spray is not the end all be all.
    Ive been pepper sprayed and CSed a few times and aside from some pain and discomfort, tears and alot of snot, I was still very functional. If I were in a fight I seriously doubt pepper spray would keep me from performing the task at hand.
    Just saying, there are people who could walk right through the PS.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Military OC spray irritates me. It will not slow me down, but other people drop like a rock. The effect is too variable to count on.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast