Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Opinions of a taurus 709 Slim

Hi everyone, Im looking at buying my first carry handgun, I have a couple ruger Blackhawks that I hunt with, But im looking at getting a small concealable handgun that is chambered in 9mm. I enjoy shooting but the cost of .357 mag and 44 mag ammo is only going up so thats what made me want a 9mm. I want to be able to shot the gun that I carry as much as I can and I feel the 9mm is the most economical and with quality ammo has decent knockdown power. Does anyone have a 709? What are you thoughts on it, there are a couple reviews on here; one good, one bad. I have also read alot of positive things on other websites. A gun store near me has them on sale for $286 with the pics check and tax it would be $314 out the door for the all blued version. The gun did feel good in my hands at the store. There are a few used for around that much so I think the price is fair. I know this is an entry level gun and that is what I am looking for. Im one of those types of people that doesnt like to be impulsive when it comes to purchasing something important. Any thoughts from current owners would be greatly appreciated.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Opinions of a taurus 709 Slim

Slims are great guns for the $. I would buy one new, I shy away from used. It could have been someone else's headache!

(Allegheny County)

I did not have good luck with mine, which is a shame since it's a great size. It could have been my fault, but I don't know. After a single mag of Corbon Powerballs, metal shavings were all over the place, and now it won't feed anything. My advice: if you get one, stick to standard pressure 9mm ammo.

Also, note that the trigger is a little strange. It's not that it's bad, but you really have to pull it really far before the gun goes off. I suppose this could be a side affect of the inverse DA/SA design that allows for second strike capability.

I replaced mine with a J-Frame revolver, which I like much better, but it is harder to shoot than the 709.

YMMV
    Stay frosty....

(Lawrence County)

Jason, I feel the same way about buying used guns, I pride myself in how well I take care of my guns and I know some people are as diligent in maintenence. So if I was going to buy one used the price/deal would be have to be right.

Mikenac, Im sorry to hear about your 709, did you contact taurus about the issue? I watched a youtube video regarding the trigger, I am well aware that there is a long soft trigger pull until the end and then a firm break. I would love a J frame but im working on a budget for now so something economical will have to do for now.

(Allegheny County)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/26498

$371 for the J-Frame. Save up a little more

I did not contact Taurus as I was the second owner, and also attempted some stoning after the fact to see if I could get it to feed. This was probably stupid, now that I think about it, but hey, you learn. The inside of the slide had gouges after that magazine of +p, which I did smooth out, but it did not help. If you get one that works though, I do like the gun.
    Stay frosty....

(Mercer County)

I have one and really enjoy shooting it. I bought it used with a CT for 200. Sent it to Taurus and I have had no issues with it since. Over 1k rounds through it. It does shoot abit low but I have been able to deal with it. And one day will work on getting a new front sight. The first pull on the trigger may be long for some ppl but, the reset is short and sweet for the second shoot. I suggest getting the pierce extension for it to give you alitle more to grip onto though makes a big difference.

(Lawrence County)

Thats a nice J frame, but I have a problem buying a 38 special only handgun, get the 357 mag and shoot 38 specials if the recoil is too much. I like options I guess

(Dauphin County)

I have two, one blued and one stainless. I bought them both new, unfired. I put about 200+ rounds through each of them, with no feed or extraction/ejection issues at all. That includes Speer 124gr +P Gold dots, also without issues. The one problem I have had with both of them is that the slide is inconsistent in locking open after the last round is fired. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Slim is the right moniker for it. They are a great size and weight, sometimes I slip it into my back pocket (in a pocket holster) if I am wearing a sport jacket that will cover it, and use it as a BUG. The grip will stick out of my pocket, letting me get a good grip. I wouldn't carry it that way without a heavy cover garment, though. I think it is a bit too big for front pocket carry, at least for me anyway.

Both of them shot about 6 inches low at 7 yards at first. I shot enough to determine that it wasn't all me, and with the windage and elevation adjustable rear sight, I was able to take care of that. No windage adjustment was needed on either of them. 3-4 inch groups at 7 yards, OK for a small gun, and should improve with practice.

Cosmetically, the stainless slide is nice on the outside, but some of the machining on the inside is a bit rough. Stainless steel is inherently harder to machine than carbon steel, it is gummier, and requires more care to machine. There are some corners on the inside of the slide that look like they were machined to fast, or with a dull tool.

The trigger is nothing special, but not horrible. Alot of takeup in single action, but a decent, consistent break. Double action is a bit long, but not heavy. I really like the "double-strike" capability, that was one of the selling points to me over the Ruger LC9. The trigger is much nicer than a KelTec P11, also.

I know there are horror stories about Taurus pistols and Taurus customer service, but I have not had these two pistols long enough to have an opinion on those. So far, I like them, and plan on carrying them often.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by psucivil View Post
    Thats a nice J frame, but I have a problem buying a 38 special only handgun, get the 357 mag and shoot 38 specials if the recoil is too much. I like options I guess
    A friend of mine has the 340PD, and I put some 357's through that. Call me a pussy, but I will stick to the .38's after that abuse. I found that the Corbon DPX +P rounds are very comfortable out this revolver, and they sport good ballistics.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/110%20gr...Bon%20DPX.html
    Stay frosty....

(Lawrence County)

I understand what your saying, snub nose revolvers can be brutal and sometimes painfull some times. My dad has a ruger sp101 and that thing was brute 158gr 357 rounds until he put some Hogue grips on it which really helped alot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast