Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default VERY brief perspective of CC from an officer in Mercer County

Understood and appreciated my need to conceal carry, we didn't even get into open carry. He spoke of his own personal need to CC describing his firearm as most would one's wallet.

I affirmed and then contrasted my experience to NJ where you need a firearms permit for a BB gun. He looked kind of baffled but stated they should have that here, it would solve most of the problems.

I think most officers can appreciate the need for the 2nd amendment, it's a passive appreciation if you will. I think they understand it, respect it, but when push comes to shove, deep down inside they feel they are better off if it is restricted. They definitely probably think most who own firearms are "loose cannons", irresponsible or whatever other word you could come up with, more than likely the result of poor training and the media. I can understand this but I don't respect it. Ultimately, they do not have to deal with many of the restrictions of the everyday citizen as it relates to 2a.
    Last edited by EandGWZ; February 26th, 2012 at 12:53 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: VERY brief perspective of CC from an officer in Mercer County

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    Understood and appreciated my need to conceal carry, we didn't even get into open carry. He spoke of his own personal need to CC describing his firearm as most would one's wallet.

I affirmed and then contrasted my experience to NJ where you need a firearms permit for a BB gun. He looked kind of baffled but stated they should have that here, it would solve most of the problems.

I think most officers can appreciate the need for the 2nd amendment, it's a passive appreciation if you will. I think they understand it, respect it, but when push comes to shove, deep down inside they feel they are better off if it is restricted. They definitely probably think most who own firearms are "loose cannons", irresponsible or whatever other word you could come up with, more than likely the result of poor training and the media. I can understand this but I don't respect it. Ultimately, they do not have to deal with many of the restrictions of the everyday citizen as it relates to 2a.
    Officers don't tend to run into the "good side" of anything. They don't deal with responsible gun owners because they don't have to. They tend to deal with the goofs... the ones who pull their guns out because they get cut off in traffic... the ones who pull up their shirt because they got cut off in line. They have to keep it in perspective that the goofs are not the norm...they have to remember the bigger picture.

^^^^^

Totally agree, if I was a cop can't say I wouldn't share the same perspective, it's misinformed but makes sense.

???

Does the original post here have a point? It seems like it's a follow-up to a previous discussion ... but there ain't no previous discussion. What officer from MercerCounty? Why were you conversing with him? Where did this come from?

As for this:

I think most officers can appreciate the need for the 2nd amendment, it's a passive appreciation if you will. I think they understand it, respect it, but when push comes to shove, deep down inside they feel they are better off if it is restricted.
    If a police officer believes, at any level at all and to any degree at all, that the 2nd Amendment RIGHT to keep and bear arms should be restricted ... then he/she does NOT understand or respect the 2nd Amendment. Further, if they think they are in any way better off when the certified good guys can't carry guns but the bad guys carry anyway, then they are delusional. You don't find them every day, but there are recorded instances of armed "civilians" who have intervened to save the lives of police officers who got in over their heads with a perp. If the good guys are disarmed, the police will truly be on their own out there. If they've been against us citizens being allowed to carry, then they can live (or die) with the consequences.

It's sad that more police officers don't belong to the Oath Keepers.

http://oathkeepers.org/oath/

Heck, I've been off active duty in the Army for more than forty years, and I still remember that the oath I swore when I was inducted was to defend the Constitution of the United States of America. Not "the country." Not "the President." Not "the people." THE CONSTITUTION. Police officers swear the same oath. If they can't keep that simple fact firmly in mind when out there "enforcing" the law, IMHO they have no business pretending to be police officers.
    Last edited by Greywolf; February 26th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.