Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Shall Issue bill introduced in Puerto Rico

In wake of the McDonalds and Heller decisions, a senator from the majority party in Puerto Rico has introduced legislation that will make PR a shall issue territory. Best part of all, the bill will allow carry permits/licenses from any of the 50 states to be used in PR.

Currently, PR is 'may issue', carry licenses cost about $1,000, has no reciprocity with any other state, and does not issue licenses to non-residents. The only non-residents that can carry there are law enforcement officers under LEOSA.

The proposed law will lower the fee to $20 and make it shall issue. Any license from any of the 50 US states will be valid.

http://www.primerahora.com/proponend...as-616098.html (<-- Spanish news link)
    English translation:
    A project to liberalize the legal possession and carrying of firearms in Puerto Rico was filed by NPP Senator Carmelo Rios, who called for Puerto Ricans the same right to own guns than the U.S. residents.

Senate Bill 2466 would create the Constitutional Law of Arms of Puerto Rico and, according to the senator, seeking to temper the local law to the United States Supreme Court's recent decisions in establishing the fundamental right of citizens to keep and bear arms.
    <SNIP>
    Constitutional Law

"There is no reason why Puerto Ricans should have fewer rights than the rest of the other American citizens and this is proof that we are equal and this bill addresses the needs of our humble people and our women," he said.

"We defend the rights of the good and decent people of Puerto Rico," he said.

"Almost four years ago, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in the case of DC v. Heller that to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right and, just two years ago, the Supreme Court clarified that the law applies to the States and, therefore, to Puerto Rico because it is a fundamental right that belongs to the people, our citizens, in the case of McDonald v. City of Chicago", said the senator, who chairs the Senate Government Committee.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Shall Issue bill introduced in Puerto Rico

Well that's awesome.

(Lackawanna County)

My boyfriend's been talking about this for months. Apparently, one of the courts there, the Superior Court or Higher Court or whatever it is over there, decided that the 2nd Amendment applies there. He's been on and off the phone with his family there, getting them to get on their Senator's case about it. His mother's politically active down there, and is in touch with local politicians regularly. I don't know what town they live in, but they travel back and forth to Baymon regularly.

(Allegheny County)

There is no reason why Puerto Ricans should have fewer rights than the rest of the other American citizens and this is proof that we are equal and this bill addresses the needs of our humble people and our women," he said.
    Off topic but if Puerto Ricans are Americans, why do they get their own Olympic team?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Flake View Post

Currently, PR is 'may issue', carry licenses cost about $1,000, has no reciprocity with any other state, and does not issue licenses to non-residents. The only non-residents that can carry there are law enforcement officers under LEOSA.

The proposed law will lower the fee to $20 and make it shall issue. Any license from any of the 50 US states will be valid.

:

$1000? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    My boyfriend's been talking about this for months. Apparently, one of the courts there, the Superior Court or Higher Court or whatever it is over there, decided that the 2nd Amendment applies there. He's been on and off the phone with his family there, getting them to get on their Senator's case about it. His mother's politically active down there, and is in touch with local politicians regularly. I don't know what town they live in, but they travel back and forth to Baymon regularly.
    Puerto Rico Court of Appeals

(Dauphin County)

Isn't having a "Constitutional Law of Arms" that requires a license for carry little different than calling a semi-auto military surplus rifle an "assault rifle"? This kind of stupid shit needs to GO.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    Isn't having a "Constitutional Law of Arms" that requires a license for carry little different than calling a semi-auto military surplus rifle an "assault rifle"? This kind of stupid shit needs to GO.
    I agree. Some of our "pro-gun" organizations and way too many People have been brainwashed into the "license" or "permit" mindset. We shouldn't need a permission slip to carry.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    $1000? Really?
    I know. It's hard to believe, but I know a person that got his carry license and that's what it costed him. I also called a gun shop in Bayamón and got the same answer.

This post from another thread illustrates the procedure for getting a PR LTCF.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...erto-rico.html
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
    In regards to carry for residents, ANY average Joe (although they may call them JOSE) law abiding citizen in Puerto Rico with a few extra dollars can request and obtain a carry license. I went through this process which seemed endless. No fun at all. I had several handguns, rifles and shotguns and all of them are relatively easy to purchase once you have the possession license. The requisites for the carry license are:
    - Have a current firearm possession license (paperwork, $100 and a few other things)
    - 3 color copies of the possession license
    - Carry license application along with $250 tax stamp
    - Training certificate
    - Certificate of no criminal record issued by Police Dept.
    - Certificate of no outstanding child support debt
    - Certificate of no taxes due to Hacienda (local IRS equivalent)
    - Certificate of no municipal taxes due
    - Sworn statement from spouse
    - Sworn statement from 3 friends/associates
    - 4 2x2 photos
    - Sworn statement from petitioner
    - Another tax stamp for $35
    - Certificate from a doctor saying you are healthy
    - Yet another $35 tax stamp to change your license from possession to carry
    - Detailed info of firearm to be carried including brand, model, serial and local PD assigned number
    - Lawyer fees (last time I checked around $500-600)

I may have missed a minor thing or two but in essence you need to spend days, if not weeks, gathering documents and spend over $1000 to acquire a carry license.

One of PR's courts ruled last year that "discretionary issue" was invalid under Heller/McDonald. This legislation makes sense in light of that. It's just too bad the US district courts can't seem to use logic the same way the PR court did.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    One of PR's courts ruled last year that "discretionary issue" was invalid under Heller/McDonald. This legislation makes sense in light of that. It's just too bad the US district courts can't seem to use logic the same way the PR court did.
    Give it time. I think a high enough PR court ruling can be used as precedence in other US courts.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast