Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Investment AR?

Question Investment AR?

So call me crazy, but I'm buying into the whole "Obama is going to win and institute another assault weapons ban" hype that's going around. I also think that there is going to be another gun buying crisis around election time which will cause prices to shoot up. That all being said, I would like to purchase a top tier AR now as an investment. I've always been a big fan of 20" ARs and have been considering a BCMA4 MOD 1 or a Colt M6700 (though I'm really annoyed it doesn't come with a flash hider or bayonet lug) for a while. However, I only have the cash right now for 1 AR and would like to get something that will be the best long term investment. So here are some questions I have regarding this purchase:

1. What high-end manufacturer would hold it's value/increase in value the best? I know everyone generally says Colt holds it's value best but I wanted to hear your opinions.

2. As I said above I like the 20" fixed stock ARs, but would it be beneficial to get an AR with more 'evil' components that are likely to get banned (i.e. collapsible stock, bayonet lug, short barrel).

3. Are there any other rifles I should be considering that might hold/increase in value better than an AR? Such as a SCAR/ACR, AUG, or FS200?

Any advice you guys can give me is much appreciated. And yes, I already plan on stocking up on lots of 30rd magazines.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Investment AR?

Need some clarification before answering. Is the plan to keep the rifle in a safe and sell it for a profit when the right time comes? Or are you just trying to get the AR you want before prices go up? If it's A why should your preferences matter? If it's B, why focus on it's investment value?

(Allegheny County)

If it is just "I want one in my safe before it's banned"... then...

Get an AK first, then an AR.

IF Nobama gets reelected and there is any hint of a ban, "foriegn guns" - like AKs built from foreign parts kits - will be banned first. They are the symbol of EVIL Black Rifles (even if parked and in Russian Red).

Banning ARs means American jobs in the anti-gun DEM states like CT, MA, IL, CA - where many ARs are made.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

If you think the price or AR's will skyrocket and you want to treat it as an investment, buy a bunch of stripped lowers. Palmetto State has them every day for $79. During the Obama craze stripped lowers were over $200. Pick up 10 or 20 and if you're right you'll over double your money. After shipping and FFL fees you would be looking at around 2k for 20. I doubt any AR you buy would be worth double even after any Obamination. If you're wrong you could still probably sell them for $100 a piece.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Pike County)

Hope for the best, prepare for the worse. I think it can go either way with the AWB at this point but I think if BO gets into office many people in government won't allow his laws to pass. With that said I am buying my AR as soon as my tax return comes in and while I am buying the AR I will likely put an AK into layaway. With whatever money I have left I plan on investing in ammo and 30 round magazines. No matter what happens the price of everything firearm related is going to shoot up it seems. So either buy now or have patience, hope a new AWB doesn't get passed and buy in 12-16 months when prices start to stabilize. That's JMO since I asked the same question here a few weeks ago.

The sad thing is even after spending all this money I will probably have to sit on these rifles and wait for the price of ammo to drop, I can't afford to pay inflated prices. I will probably end up collecting another 2-3 .22LR rifles/pistols to play with until the price of centerfired ammo drops.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; February 23rd, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Is their a visual aid for 'top tier' ARs, similar to that of the 'Chart' or is it gamer lingo that I just don't get?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Deal_me_In View Post
    Need some clarification before answering. Is the plan to keep the rifle in a safe and sell it for a profit when the right time comes? Or are you just trying to get the AR you want before prices go up? If it's A why should your preferences matter? If it's B, why focus on it's investment value?
    Those are both good points, but I guess my thinking here is two fold. I would like to get the gun with no plan on actually shooting it. So yes it would be kept in a safe and not shot to maintain it's value. However, if I end up changing my mind down the road and I actually end up keeping it, I'd like to have a gun that I like.

I guess it also really depends on the scenario. If prices just go up, and there's no ban of any kind, then I wouldn't have any trouble selling the gun once it's value has increased, because I know I can always buy another if I want. However, if there is a permanent assault weapons ban and I would never be able to buy a new AR again, I would probably keep it and pass it on to my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Is their a visual aid for 'top tier' ARs, similar to that of the 'Chart' or is it gamer lingo that I just don't get?
    I don't think that's a real classification of ARs. I was just saying top tier as in "I would like to buy a top of the line AR". The Mercedes, BMW, or Audi of ARs so to speak (and yes I know people will argue those aren't the top tier of automobiles )

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    If you think the price or AR's will skyrocket and you want to treat it as an investment, buy a bunch of stripped lowers. Palmetto State has them every day for $79. During the Obama craze stripped lowers were over $200. Pick up 10 or 20 and if you're right you'll over double your money. After shipping and FFL fees you would be looking at around 2k for 20. I doubt any AR you buy would be worth double even after any Obamination. If you're wrong you could still probably sell them for $100 a piece.
    This is the best advice you will get on this subject.

Because it doesn't matter what configuration, barrel length, etc. Anyone can build whatever they want out of it.

Making them MUCH easier to sell. And you're not putting all of your eggs in one basket so to speak. Even if you're wrong. People will happily snap those up FTF here in PA for what you paid.

Yeah, it's more work than cashing out on one rifle. But like Yoder said. You could easily double your money on them. Whereas on one rifle, you may be able to make $500-600 selling at the height of a ban craze. You could do the same with 5-6 lowers theoretically, with a much lower investment.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
    <snip>

I would like to get the gun with no plan on actually shooting it. So yes it would be kept in a safe and not shot to maintain it's value. <snip>
    Colt AR.

Specifically, look on GunBrokeya and find an "LE6920" "Law Enforcement Carbine" with the now-defunct "restricted to LE and military" yadda yadda roll-script on the right side of the mag well.

These represented the restricted LEO version of the "M4A1" from politically-correct Colt Defense and are no longer marked as such.

Yes, it IS the same gun as the new 6920s made in the same factory, but for collectability - the rollmarks and known Colt name make it hard to beat.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast