Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Smith&Wesson SD9

whats people's opinions on this new offering from S&W?
    (be nice! Because I already bought one)
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Smith&Wesson SD9

they have been out for a few years i beleive. They are ok, they are basicaly a 375, 400 dollar range gun, or nightstand gun. thats what they were made for. they are big but not real heavy. i shot a few hundred rounds through one over the course of 2 days. the gun was new, had 2 or 3 hang ups out of about 500 rounds. super long trigger pull. i dont know why smith really made the gun, they had the sw9ve series. over all it was accurate and not a bad gun.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    they have been out for a few years i beleive. They are ok, they are basicaly a 375, 400 dollar range gun, or nightstand gun. thats what they were made for. they are big but not real heavy. i shot a few hundred rounds through one over the course of 2 days. the gun was new, had 2 or 3 hang ups out of about 500 rounds. super long trigger pull. i dont know why smith really made the gun, they had the sw9ve series. over all it was accurate and not a bad gun.
    It is very light at very lightweight at 21 or 22 ounces
    Its about the size of Glock 19. It is the same weight, length and width for all practical purposes, but has a smaller grip (in circumference) and a shorter reach to the trigger, which I liked

I heard people say that the SD is better than the Sigma, but not as good as the M&P. Now, former likely is a fair description, I don't think its far behind M&P.

It lacks M&P's Ambi control, or ability to switch mag release left to right.
    No interchangeble grip panel, 16rds capacity, instead of M&P's 17rds.

But otherwise, I don't see anything that makes less then that of M&P.

And trigger - its hinged trigger like that of M&P, which I like over Glock's blade within trigger idea.
    I'm not gonna lie. Trigger is heavy. but its not as bad as that of Sigma's. i imagin around 7.5~8lb may be?
    Its long, like DA wheel gun. But to anyone carrying DAO gun(such as myself - My primary CCW is Kahr K9 and T9, which are both DAO), feel of trigger shouldn't be too foregn to them.
    But one thing annoyed me was the loooong trigger reset. One must almost completly let go the trigger for it to rset. Just like DA wheel gun...

Quick search revealed that Apex Tactical is offering a drop in trigger pull kit to bring trigger pull to appro 5.5 lbs. My 1911 is 5.5lb. also shorten up the reset.
    And its $18. I'm getting it.

I haven't shot it yet. So this is about all I have so far...

(Monroe County)

they have been out for a few years i beleive. They are ok, they are basicaly a 375, 400 dollar range gun, or nightstand gun. thats what they were made for.
    I disagree. S&W entered the market with a quality semi-auto made for defensive purposes that you could buy for under $400. There are ALOT of people out there who cannot afford to save up and plunk down $500+ for a glock, m&p, or xd, let alone the HK/Sig's nearing $1,000. However when you walk out the gun shop with a brand new gun, by a reputable manufacturer, for $350 dollars, and you're on a budget, you now have the ability to protect yourself and your family without losing the house. This line is geared towards those people in situations where they feel the need for self protection, but saving that $350 already took them 3 or 4 months because of budget constraints. Waiting another 4 months so you can purchase one of the "popular" guns just doesn't make sense when you want protection NOW.

Not everyone can afford the high speed low drag shit. The SD line offered by S&W, similarly the SR series offered by Ruger, allow people on a budget to purchase quality DEFENSIVE semi-auto's where otherwise they would have been forced to pick up a "saturday night special" quality handgun because they could never afford the standard shit touted in the gun rags.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I disagree. S&W entered the market with a quality semi-auto made for defensive purposes that you could buy for under $400. There are ALOT of people out there who cannot afford to save up and plunk down $500+ for a glock, m&p, or xd, let alone the HK/Sig's nearing $1,000. However when you walk out the gun shop with a brand new gun, by a reputable manufacturer, for $350 dollars, and you're on a budget, you now have the ability to protect yourself and your family without losing the house. This line is geared towards those people in situations where they feel the need for self protection, but saving that $350 already took them 3 or 4 months because of budget constraints. Waiting another 4 months so you can purchase one of the "popular" guns just doesn't make sense when you want protection NOW.

Not everyone can afford the high speed low drag shit. The SD line offered by S&W, similarly the SR series offered by Ruger, allow people on a budget to purchase quality DEFENSIVE semi-auto's where otherwise they would have been forced to pick up a "saturday night special" quality handgun because they could never afford the standard shit touted in the gun rags.
    ummm.......nothing you said is actually disagreeing with what Kel Ruger Man said.

You're addressing his post as if he dumped on the SD9, which he didn't. almost seems like you're wanting to pick a fight with someone over the whole "gun snob" issue.
    Last edited by TGS; February 19th, 2012 at 02:03 PM.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

The SD9 should be priced around $300 for what you get IMO, I handle them every day and they are essentially a rebadged sigma with slightly better trigger break.

The largest reason I would push someone from buying one is the horrible resale value. These sell in the used case for $250 in unused condition. M&Ps at least command $400 used.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Monroe County)

they have been out for a few years i beleive. They are ok, they are basicaly a 375, 400 dollar range gun, or nightstand gun. thats what they were made for.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ummm.......nothing you said is actually disagreeing with what Kel Ruger Man said.

You're addressing his post as if he dumped on the SD9, which he didn't. almost seems like you're wanting to pick a fight with someone over the whole "gun snob" issue.
    Kel Ruger Man relegated the S&W SD series to range gun status. Sorry, forgot to address that issue. The SD line was clearly not built as a range gun, as discussed in my post. To get into the specifics of it, the SD line has no features common in, "range/target guns", or, "plinkers". It does however clearly identify with a defensive pistol. S&W even markets the SD line as such.

Now, relax yourself. If you thought anything I wrote was stand offish then you are probably the one who came on here looking to pick a fight. Everything I wrote was objective and appropriately placed. If anyone was coming off as a gun snob, it was Kel Ruger Man by his condescension in regard to the SD line being a simple "range gun". I'm not saying he was doing that intentionally, but that's the reason I felt the need to address the topic and post in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    whats people's opinions on this new offering from S&W?
    (be nice! Because I already bought one)
    Well, it's by all accounts a quality gun, made in the US by an excellent company, and backed by a lifetime warranty. So, if anyone gives you crap because it's not a Glock, you have my permission to ignore them.

Comparisons to the Sigma are inevitable. I have a Sigma SW9VE, which has been reliable and accurate. The things that could be improved on the Sigma are the trigger, grip shape, and lack of a standard rail... all of which have been improved on the SD. Sounds like a winner to me. It would be nice if it were closer in price to the Sigma, but I understand how marketing works.

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Kel Ruger Man relegated the S&W SD series to range gun status. Sorry, forgot to address that issue. The SD line was clearly not built as a range gun, as discussed in my post. To get into the specifics of it, the SD line has no features common in, "range/target guns", or, "plinkers". It does however clearly identify with a defensive pistol. S&W even markets the SD line as such.

Now, relax yourself. If you thought anything I wrote was stand offish then you are probably the one who came on here looking to pick a fight. Everything I wrote was objective and appropriately placed. If anyone was coming off as a gun snob, it was Kel Ruger Man by his condescension in regard to the SD line being a simple "range gun". I'm not saying he was doing that intentionally, but that's the reason I felt the need to address the topic and post in the first place.
    Umm...he wrote, "or a nightstand gun." That would be self-defense.

Objective and appropriately placed, but it still had nothing to do with his post. He never said it wasn't an affordable gun for self-defense......all he wrote was that it's an okay gun at an affordable price for range or self-defense use.

Please do not play the counter-argument of accusing somebody of being out-of-line and needing to calm down. That's pretty lame. I'm perfectly calm and unexcited, nor have I written anything derogatory towards you.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ummm.......[B]almost seems like you're wanting to pick a fight with someone over the whole "gun snob" issue.
    Lets not.

Its not Sigma.
    I don't believe it was ever meant to replace sigma itself. it was meant to replace sigma's place in company's product line(Price point), however.

Its immensely better weapon then sigma ever was(although, I was never a prejudice against Sigma in the past), and I for one think that gun was meant be a CIVILIAN DEFENCE, rather then DUTY weapon.
    It has no complicated controls to worry about. Huge plus for civilian who lacks LEO training(although, every armed citizen should take course). intentionaly heavy trigger - Sigma was in production for like 20 years. I'm sure during these time, S&W have heard people complain about trigger once or twice. Yet, they dicided to feature trigger similer to Sigma(Its much lighter then Sigma's). It must have been kept that way for a reason.
    I believe needlessly light trigger pull aren't positive for defensive pistol.
    With the amount of confusion, adrenaline pumping throug your system, and panic during real defence situation. Your fine dexterity control will likely gone out the window. You will NOT notice few pound heavier trigger pull at all. But it have much better chance of preventing you from AD'ing your weapon.
    Your not highly trained police officer.

Although, I feel heavy trigger isn't bad thing, I do feel 8lb is bit on heavy side.
    My 1911's are set at 5.5lb. Apex spring kit supposed to bring the trigger pull to 5.5~6lb. So I think that would fix the issue with this trigger.

So far, my complaints are extremely long trigger reset. You practically have to let go the trigger completely for it to rest.
    I'm affraid that the I would short stroke the trigger in panic situation(which is reason why I don't care for Ruger's LCR. I short stroke the hell out of it when I tried one at the range)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast