Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default tell me your preference!

I just picked up my ltcf today, and i am looking to purchase my first pistol next month. this gun needs to serve 2 main purposes, cc and fun range gun. i want mid - hi cap 9mm. I feel im leaning toward the g19 just through research and no actual store experience. so, anyway, what is your favorite 9mm cc gun and why? Thanks!

p.s. trying to keep the budget to $600 for the gun it self so i can buy extra mags and ammo.
    Last edited by goose585; February 17th, 2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: missing information

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: tell me your preference!

I have no experience with a glock 9mm but I do with their .40's I have both a g23 and a g27. Being that the glock 23 is the same size as the glock 19 I feel I can make a valid point here.

Depending on your body type, and how you plan to carry, you may find the g19 hard to conceal carry, I know I found my g23 to be hard, but I'm a bigger guy. If you want a good glock to conceal carry but not that great at the range, unless you get a mag extension. I'd recommend the g26. Easy to conceal, hell, depending on your pants, it'll fit right in your pocket to conceal it. You get that glock quality in a compact size.

(Berks County)

I guess body size should have been mentioned. im not a big guy. 5'8, 180lbs

(Centre County)

I'm not a Glock fan. But 19 is great compromise between size and function.
    And they do work.
    I mean Glock do fail. Like any other things out there. But they are few and far between.
    Look in to smith and wesson M&P. They are anotger great pistol for both range and ccw
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Beaver County)

In order to find the right gun you need to go to a shop and hold various guns. Once you get a feel for the different grips then you'll know which one is the best for you.
    That being said you really can't go wrong with a Glock. Now as mentioned the different sizes will carry different. I have a 17 and a 26. The 26 is great for carrying but honestly I dont like it for a range gun. My girlfriend absolutely hates the grip angle of Glocks but she likes the Springfield XDM. A friend of mine was going to get a Glock until he shot my 17 and found that he didn't care for the grip angle as well. He ended up buying a Ruger SR9.
    So basically, restating, go to a store and figure out what feels best to you.
    As for my carry gun, a Sig P229 E2(9mm) or Glock 17. I dont carry my 26 that often anymore.

(Blair County)

Gen4 and newer Gen3 G19s are prone to being problematic. If you're okay with having a fair chance of needing to fix your new gun, get the Glock. A pre-2010 G19 however, would be excellent. Glock does have a HUGE aftermarket and replacement parts are both easy to come by and very cheap. All the guns within a specified caliber will use the larger mags of their kin (G19 can use G17 and G18 mags), and support from Glock is everything you'd want and more.

Smith&Wesson M&P9 (and the compact 9c) get good reviews, though it seems you have a 50/50 chance at receiving one that isn't as accurate as it should be.

The Springfield XD and XDm are solid guns. Some people don't like the grip safety, but if that's not an issue for you, they're both great models. One advantage with the XDm is you can get the subcompact and have a 13 round concealed gun, or use the included magazine with an extension and have a full-sized grip with 19 rounds. The XD is comparable to a Gen3 Glock-- no switchable backstraps, not as aggressive checkering in the frame, kind-of plain jane looking. The XDm has a match barrel, (supposedly) better trigger, much more aggressive grip texture, and replaceable backstraps. On average it's $100 more than the XD, but still can be had for less than $600. I haven't heard if any glaring issues with either model.

My vote goes for the Walther PPQ. Amazing reliability, ergonomics, and trigger. Accuracy is superb. Magazines are moee expensive than the more popular brands though.

All in all, go to a gunshop and molest everything they have. I'd stick with 9mm -- less recoil, cheaper ammo, more capacity, and it's easier to shoot as a newbie. All the models I mentioned will most likely be reliable, but do keep an eye out for the issues mentioned.
    Last edited by medsteele; February 17th, 2012 at 02:29 AM.

(Beaver County)

I CCd my G19 last night for the first time. Comparing it to the Kahr CW45 I also CC (both in king tuk IWB holsters) I came to the following conclusions:

- slim is nice (nod to the much thinner Kahr)
    - sharp and pokey is bad (nod to the G19 for nice rounded surfaces)
    - heavy is bad (nod to the Kahr)

I'm a big guy, and I was wearing pants and a stiff gun belt. The extra thickness of the glock didn't bother me until I had worn the thing for a couple hours. Then I noticed it and was annoyed. I really like not being jabbed by the sharp Kahr when I sat wrong (most of the time it doesn't jab you, but when it does bad times). The most troubling was the weight. With 15 rounds of 9mm on board the G19 weighs 1lb14oz. Add the holster and it was 2lb4oz. That's a whole lot of weight on your hip, and I had to regularly hike up my pants even with the gun belt snug as hell.

As for fun on the range... for me, fun = bigger gun. So I wouldn't say any of my CC guns are "fun" to shoot, though some are very not fun (LCP) and some are just meh (Kahr). I'm not the biggest Glock guy, but I've only put 60 rounds through it so far. I suspect it will grow on me.

Summary - you need two (ha!) guns to be happy with CC and range. Any gun that does both will be compromising CC effectiveness or fun. My 2 cents.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Monroe County)

I love a G19 but I went with the G26 for CCW. It is nice and small but can grow to the compact or full size grip and capacity with the change of a magazine. I usually have a ten round mag. in for carrying and a G19 magazine in when it's on the nightstand. It keeps all my practice on one gun, one grip, one trigger pull, one sight alignment and POI/POA. If I every get a 22lr. conversion kit it would be the perfect gun for me.

(Berks County)

depending on your hand size- check out the Beretta PX4 (you could even go compact if you want)... great gun, sleek design, and around your price range NIB and used... i would also recommend the Walther P99 and of course the FNP9... all three of these are excellent high-cap 9mm and carry quite well... (FNP might be a little large to carry, but makes up for it in range time )

but like others have said, you need to hold as many guns in your hand as possible... the gun i wanted originally from looks and reviews didnt fit my hand or feel comfortable, so i bailed on it and went in another direction...

im not a glock guy, so i cant speak on that matter...

happy hunting!!

Back in September I bought a Glock 26 Gen 3 used. I have put through more than 500 rds through it without issue. I like it be cause it fits nicely IWB and carries 10+1. It's reliable and accurate thus I have zero complaints about.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast