Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: tell me your preference!

The G19 is a great gun, the G26 is even better for cc. As far as the PX4 subcompact storm, I found that it was just a little too big for my small hands. The G26 was a perfect fit.

Another thing you might want to consider if your not locked down on what you plan on getting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhILA0k1Pj0
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

Somewhere around Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

Your requirements, budget, and person size sound virtually identical to mine, although I initially leaned much more toward just the fun at the range part. After getting my first pistol, it didn't take long before a stronger emphasis on CC took over as the primary concern.

I went with a CZ-75B, and just about anyone who has ever fired a CZ will speak highly of it. I strongly recommend you keep that make on your list. But, since you recognize CC as a requirement up front, I do not think that the 75B would be a good choice because of its size. But, I cannot say for sure, as all I have for mine is an OWB holster. My Supertuck is in the mail, and I'll know more about the feasibility of carrying this full-size weapon as EDC. After I find that it's just too bulky, I am likely to get the CZ 2075 RAMI, or perhaps see if the 75B Compact is compact enough.

So, the underlying suggestion here is to keep CZ in mind. Excellent guns and excellent pricing.

(Chester County)

I can recommend my new best carry pistol - the Ruger SR40C or the SR9C. The compact offers a smaller magazine with finger extension that fits perfectly in my hand and will hold 10 rounds of .40. Not sure about the 9. You can then carry a full sized mag as back-up with 17 or 19 rounds. There is a sleeve adapter so that you can carry the full sized mag matching the contours of the grip.

I really like the weapon. I have only had it a couple of months and put maybe 500 rounds through. Very impressed.

(Franklin County)

I was in a similar boat several months ago looking for my first pistol. Like you, I also wanted something I could conceal, yet still have fun at the range. I ended up buying a Jericho 941 compact in 9mm (polymer frame). I have 400 rounds through it so far with no issues at all. Like the CZ's, the Jericho just feels good in your hand. It is DA/SA and the compact has a 3.64 inch barrel. They also sell a semi-compact that has a 3.93 inch barrel. I wasn't expecting this gun to be so accurate at the range and it surprised me the first time I shot it. It is a bit heavier than other cc guns out there, but I'm 6'4" 230 so that doesn't bother me. Capacity is 13+1 and it's within your budget. Like others have said, get your hands on as many as possible and see what you like. Good luck searching!

(Montgomery County)

the M&P 9c is my choice. great for CC and range time.

(Beaver County)

In "plastic" guns look at S&W M&P. They are another great pistol for both range and concealed carry.If you want something in metal look for 3RD generation S&W pistols,there are a lot of police trade ins out there,5906's,6906's both have hi cap mags and are great guns IMO.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Northampton County)

My go-to CC pistol is a Sig P239 SAS in 9mm. I've shot a lot of compact 9mm's, and I believe the 239 is perhaps the best out there. It certainly won't win any awards for lightest weight or highest capacity, but it is one incredible shooter, and not just for its size. The accuracy is spot on with 5" 1911's I've owned. It's also the most comfortable compact 9mm I've ever shot. I've regularly taken it to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through it without a hit of discomfort. And the kicker is that I was able to buy it CPO for under $600 in 98-99% condition. It looked like only the test case was ever fired through it. Some people get worked up over maximum capacity, but 8+1 of +P in an accurate package and 2 10rd extended mags on my hip makes me feel pretty comfortable. If higher capacity and lighter weight is more your style, then I recommend the M&P 9mm. I have one as my bedside gun, and it's the only polymer gun I've honestly ever loved.

G19's are awesome guns. I've never seen any problematic Gen 3 Glock 9mm's in my life. I think it's a great choice for what you want to do. If you are new to shooting a small easy to conceal gun is not easy to shoot. Anything with a short sight radius is going to be a lot harder to hit targets over 10 yrds.

Having said that, I wouldn't get hung up on just Glock until you check out some other brands and see what feels best to you. Just keep in mind the size of the G19 and check out Sig, HK, M&P's, XD's. You may have to buy used to keep it in your price range but with these brands you can't go wrong. There are other good manufacturers, but these are the ones I have the most experience with and trust for semi auto pistols around $600.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Just sayin...but...I got my ltcf in January and I already bought three guns. *blush*

An LC9 was first. And then I had trouble concealing it, so it went in my handbag (special made with side zipper, also way too expensive). Then I got an LCP for concealment on my body. Then I got an SR22 for fun range practice. And then had to buy the gun safe, ammo, holsters, etc.... and that doesn't count the stuff my hub bought.

Just sayin...you "probably can't buy just one". haha.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Carbon County)

i have had the same problem for ever, i dont think there is a gun in my case that is good for both. the 26 to me was bad for carry and range...the 19 was good for range, no good for carry. when i carry i dont like bulk. thats why i carry only 2 guns, LCP and sig 238. they both carry great, but suck at the range, but still very shootable at the range. some people dont mind big heavy guns to carry. if you have 600 bucks, u can get 2 nice ones used...get the 19 and small carry gun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast