Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Questions about an HD/Trap shotgun

I've been researching and checking around for a shotgun that will fulfill these roles which led me to the countless threads on the 870 v. 500. I got to feel both at the Oaks show last weekend and liked both for different reasons. But down to the real question, is there a barrel length I should start with? smooth or rifled? bead or fiber?

Secondly, are there self defense shells that most people like or recommend?

Thanks for the help. Can't wait to be up to my shins in spent shells.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Questions about an HD/Trap shotgun

Totally forgot, I'm leaning toward an older 870 or a wingmaster if I'm lucky enough to find one in my price range or... right on payday.

(Delaware County)

Generally speaking, for trap, the longer the barrel the better.

(Berks County)

It's kind of hard to have a "trap" gun also double for HD. That being said the the 870 might be a better option for both. If you are referring to leisurely shooting 25 birds on Saturday either one of the guns should hold up. If you are going to be shooting trap on a competitive basis neither would be suitable. You may also be able to find great deals on two used guns and have what you want and need.

Generally speaking trap guns for singles are typically 32" or 34" barrels and 30" - 32" for doubles. Thats not to say you can't shoot will a shorter barrel. When I started shooting trap I used a a 28" Ruger Red Label and it didn't take long before I got the itch and invested in a TM1 moving onto a MX8. I took a break and didn't shoot for a few years but just picked up a 687 Silver Pigeon today becuase the itch came back.The length becomes important when you start getting yardage in handicaps.

You don't need rifling for trap and unless you plan on using slugs (for hunting or SD) there is no need. 00 will suffice for protecting the home.

In the end when it comes to shotguns it does't matter what you shoot and long as it shoots where your looking!
    Last edited by ACRblaze; February 16th, 2012 at 09:03 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks ACRblaze, I know im asking an odd/silly question. I'm really trying to figure out a good starting point for my first shotgun.

In breaking it down, I have my carry pistol to grab in case of a break-in so going with the longer barrel to start would be better for trap and I can always go from there, as you said.

blaze, I've read a good bit about #4 buck and the large wound and low velocity seems to be the way to go. I currently live in a small row home and I'm sure my neighbors would prefer not having buckshot in their beds.

Thanks

bird shot is an excellent h/d load. the density of a wad full of #8 shot in a small space from a fully choked tube will be devastating to a body as well as provide a safeguard against over penetration, something you need to be very concerned about in tight quarters. irregardless of whether you make a good shoot in your home you are responsible for everything your rounds hit.

have you given any thought to a browning bps? they have a synthetic model for under $500 bucks and for my money it the nicest shotty of the three and i own them all. im a big fan of the bottom eject as well as a safety in the place god intended it to be. on the back/top of the receiver!

i would not suggest settling for one gun or rig that is not well suited to either endeavor ( hd/clays) i would suggest one gun and when you get the money buy another barrel for it. any of the shotguns mentioned are simple swaps when it comes to the barrel. a mossy or a remington barrel in any configuration will be cheaper to buy new or used then a browning.

that being said, it seems i see more mossy deer barrels for sale used then any other.

if it were me faced with your decision i would go for the trap barrel ( vented rib and long) first and then look for a short rifled or fully choked barrel for hd. whatever you do dont be intimidated buy clay purist and specialty shotguns. at the end of the day its a point and shoot thing, no matter what your pointing or shooting

good luck and for what its worth i would check into what locks has around, he has a shit ton of used long guns and he is good with lay away plans. do yourself a favor though and try to see john lock himself. you may need to be patient but he is the only person in the store i will speak to about guns.

anytime you want to bust some clays at holmesburg just let me know. i have 8 shotty's of all variety's and your welcome to shoot /try any of them

R.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Philadelphia County)

are you shooting next weekend at Oley, R?

clays too?

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the info ruggerio. I'll read up on the BPS.

I second Shrewd's question, we were most likely going to shoot some clays after the flamingo invasion.

(Philadelphia County)

I occasionally use my 18.5" Mossberg 500 Persuader with adjustable ATI Akita stock to shoot trap and really enjoy it. However, hitting the 2nd bird with the pump is not an easy task and need a lot of practice. I can hit the 2nd probably 1 out of 3, but I'm relatively new at trap. I don't have much problems hitting both consistently with a double barrel shotgun. Personally, I wouldn't use a pump for serious trap/skeet shooting, and I think 2 rounds is definitely not a good capacity for home defense. Get one of each, in other words.

As for the HD ammo, I have low recoil 00 buck shots loaded in my 500 Persuader if I decided to go to it for HD.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks mythaeus. You're starting to sound like a true friend. "Should I buy this gun?" "Yes, and buy this one too."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast