Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need info on getting non-resident permit

i have a wedding to attend in PA in april, i have an ohio ccw permit and would like to get info on getting a non-resident permit to allow me to carry in PA while i am there. my biggest issue is not being able to carry while in the vehicle.
    is there a way to do this by mail still, i am a good 4 hours from PA so by mail is my prefered option here.

any info would be helpful.
    thanks

(Delaware County)

Default Re: need info on getting non-resident permit

Quote Originally Posted by pgp88se View Post
    i have a wedding to attend in PA in april, i have an ohio ccw permit and would like to get info on getting a non-resident permit to allow me to carry in PA while i am there. my biggest issue is not being able to carry while in the vehicle.
    is there a way to do this by mail still, i am a good 4 hours from PA so by mail is my prefered option here.

thanks
    No, the law changed, requiring an in person visit back in May, 2011.

(Chester County)

thanks
    You can carry while in a vehicle in Pa under your Ohio license:

18 Pa CSA 6106(a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree. ...

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    You can also OC except in Phila, during a state of emergency or in prohibited places.

You cannot CC in Pa with your Ohio license.

The federal GFSZA (18 USC 922(q)) may be an issue without a Pa LTCF but that remains unclear although the ATF provided a letter opinion in 2002 that out-of-state permits do not qualify for an exemption to the act. If you transport unloaded and in a locked container you're OK. Never heard of anyone charged with violation of 922(q) without an accompanying criminal act. The probability of being charged is almost,but not equal to, zero.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    You can carry while in a vehicle in Pa under your Ohio license:

You can also OC except in Phila, during a state of emergency or in prohibited places.

You cannot CC in Pa with your Ohio license.

The federal GFSZA (18 USC 922(q)) may be an issue without a Pa LTCF but that remains unclear although the ATF provided a letter opinion in 2002 that out-of-state permits do not qualify for an exemption to the act. If you transport unloaded and in a locked container you're OK. Never heard of anyone charged with violation of 922(q) without an accompanying criminal act. The probability of being charged is almost,but not equal to, zero.
    so by reading this i can carry loaded in vehicle on ohio license, and carry open when not in the car? that seems strange to me.if this is the case then what are the laws in PA reguarding carrying in a vehicle?
    ohio states: must be carried in a holster secured on your person, in a locked glove box or other container, and i MUST in form any law enforcement agent upon contact that i am carrying.

(Chester County)

so by reading this i can carry loaded in vehicle on ohio license, and carry open when not in the car? that seems strange to me.if this is the case then what are the laws in PA reguarding carrying in a vehicle?
    ohio states: must be carried in a holster secured on your person, in a locked glove box or other container, and i MUST in form any law enforcement agent upon contact that i am carrying.
    Bolded above is correct (again OC is prohibited where/when I mentioned in previous post).

You can read the Pa law regarding vehicle carry at:
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...out-a-license/

While in vehicle you can carry in any manner (OC, CC, loaded, Unloaded, locked/unlocked glove box, etc). Again remember the GFSZA issue and if it concerns you then transport unloaded and locked in a container.

Pa has no duty to inform.
    Last edited by tl_3237; February 16th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
    IANAL

Pa law does not dictate in what manner a firearm (pistol) has to be carried. Hell, you could load it up, suspend it from your roof interior with bungee cords for all the law cares...you can carry the firearm in any manner.

As pointed out, no need to inform in PA.

You said it best "That seems strange to me." Welcome to any laws made by elected officials, mostly lawyers....LOL But the truth and facts are the same, any Federal or State license is good in pa to carry in a vehicle...so at the point of dismounting the vehicle, you can OC.

CL

If you do it quickly, you may be able to get an AZ permit (all done by mail) in time for April, which would cover you here in PA.

You can get Arizona for $60 for 5 years, renewals for $43 with lots of reciprocity.
    Email them and ask for an application packet. Or call them: 602-256-6280 or 800-256-6280.

Non-residents can have training from anywhere...as long as it is approved by AZ.

No photo required, but they will send you print cards to get fingerprints taken.

Here is the AZ revised statute, which includes training requirements and what they will accept.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    If you do it quickly, you may be able to get an AZ permit (all done by mail) in time for April, which would cover you here in PA.

You can get Arizona for $60 for 5 years, renewals for $43 with lots of reciprocity.
    Email them and ask for an application packet. Or call them: 602-256-6280 or 800-256-6280.

Non-residents can have training from anywhere...as long as it is approved by AZ.

No photo required, but they will send you print cards to get fingerprints taken.

Here is the AZ revised statute, which includes training requirements and what they will accept.
    by reading this am i not correct in assuming that my current valid ohio ccw is proof of training and i would not need a cert for an 8 hour course.
    http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm

by reading this am i not correct in assuming that my current valid ohio ccw is proof of training and i would not need a cert for an 8 hour course.
    http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm
    I believe so. OH requires training, if I recall... is that correct?

Anyway, just call the AZ number and ask for an application pack and also ask them if your OH license is good for training requirements.

Some of us PA folks who got the AZ permit used a hunter safety course or an NRA course to get AZ.

But if OH does indeed require training for your carry license, you should have no problem getting an AZ. They seem to be taking about 8 weeks to issue now, so depending on when in April you're coming to PA, it might work for you.

yea oh requires a 12 hours course to get a ccw, and our instructor has had an official in the parking lot watching for "early" release and will make the whole course void if under 12 hours. after thinking about that i figure that an ohio course is more involved than the 8 hour az course but i sent an email last night to clarify, we'll see what they say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast