Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Looking for a place to shoot

Greetings! I've searched the forums and found tons of help, but my question is a bit complicated.

My father-in-law (he lives many, many states away) will be visiting this summer and is bringing my wife and I two pistols. We are not hunters or active shooters and will have these for home protection purposes only.

My question is, where can the 3 of us go so he can show us how to shoot these guns? The state game land requires a $30 permit for everyone, which is silly for him to buy for a one-time use. Likewise, joining a club seems a bit wasteful for us too, as we have no plans to shoot regularly at all.

We live in Carlisle, but spend a lot of time in Harrisburg too. I've read about the game lands, the various clubs (Mechanicsburg, Middletown, Carlisle, etc), and can't find any solution.

Thanks for any guidance!

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Looking for a place to shoot

Check the yellow pages for York. I think there is a gun store with a range down there.

West York Sporting Goods. http://www.westyorksportinggoods.com/

Little info on their website, let us know if you call and what they say.

Also the $30 range fee or a Hunter/Trapper permit allows you one guest.
    Last edited by Neilthepilot; February 15th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post
    Check the yellow pages for York. I think there is a gun store with a range down there.

Also the $30 range fee or a Hunter/Trapper permit allows you one guest.
    It'd be $18.50 for two, but we'll have three so add another $15. :/ Distance adds even more with gas, unfortunately.

It's a shame you can't shoot freely in this state, isn't it?

(Cumberland County)

if you live in carlisle like myself why dont you join the carlisle fish and game? they have great set up for what it is and i am there almost daily. its right out trindle about a mile and a half from the new sheetz. listen, if you are going to own guns you might as well shoot them more than once. nobody is going to be proficient with a handgun after just one range trip. nobody will probably even notice or care that her dad isnt a member. again, i cant belive im the only one saying this so far but you need to shoot more often than once.

(Cumberland County)

Just buy the Resident Adult Hunting license for $20.70. You are allowed a guest with each license. If these are for home defense you are going to want to practice. A shotgun is better for home defense. You don't have to be as accurate. Just identify your target and pull the trigger. But, a free gun is a free gun.
    Last edited by sk8; February 18th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rimfryer View Post
    if you live in Carlisle like myself why don't you join the Carlisle fish and game? they have great set up for what it is and i am there almost daily. its right out trindle about a mile and a half from the new sheetz. listen, if you are going to own guns you might as well shoot them more than once. nobody is going to be proficient with a handgun after just one range trip. nobody will probably even notice or care that her dad isn't a member. again, i cant believe I'm the only one saying this so far but you need to shoot more often than once.

What he is trying to say is you and your wife are going to protect your selves with a gun you barely know how to use. And you are going to do this while a bad guy or gal is coming at you or your wife possibly in the dark while half asleep. Bad idea! You and your wife get hunting licenses and go to the PGL range right in Carlisle. It's a nice range busy on the weekends. 6 round max loading on all guns so read the rules.

This is for your safety and for the safety of those around you.

(Cumberland County)

If you are going to have to pay to shoot at a PGC range, why not just join a public club, most of them are fairly empty most of the time and they are pretty reasonable to join, I shoot at Upper Adams Fish and Game (Probably 20-25 min from Carlisle) and our dues are $20 a year
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilthepilot View Post

DO NOT GO THERE!

It's a joke, and run by lunatics. Please don't waste your time and money. If you want to know more just search for it by name on PAFOA. Very bad juju.

I'm sending you a PM Spunk.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

Thank you everyone - your comments are appreciated. And guidance needed!

We spend more time around HBG actually. Thinking of the Middletown club or the club off Wertzville Road. The hunting license, I didn't know of and it makes sense as well.

We'd prefer to shoot alone, or at least with very few people, so a club makes most sense probably.

Any experience with those two private clubs?

(York County)

Since you live in/near Carlisle, and you have a stated preferance for a more private setting for your practice/shooting, I would strongly reccommend that you invest in membership at the Carlisle Gun Club. First off it is close by, secondly you will have virtually unrestricted access to the indoor, lighted, heated range, 24-7; with the exception of when there's a club meeting (one a month), a scheduled group practice, etc. The range is open to virtually all handgun calibers and rimfire rifles. It's a clean facility in a quiet safe neighborhood, plenty of parking, etc. Whatever you do decide to do, please don't just shoot your gun(s) once and then put them away in a drawer. It is the responsibility of ALL gun owners, whether you carry everyday, or never take you gun out of the house, to be knowledgeable of our gun laws, and remain safe and proficient in the use of your firearm. You cannot do this unless you spend some time practicing regularly. I'm not saying that you need to shoot daily, weekly, or even monthly like many of us or the competitive shooters do. But you do need to practice shooting, along with the safe and correct handling, aiming, etc proceedures. You can't just have someone show you how it's done once, and then put it away until it's needed. Also, you'll find that meeting up with some more experienced shooters through a club might offer some additional education, training, and information you'll find helpful. Who knows, you might just find out how much fun this hobby/game can be and decide you want to get involved. Sorry if I sound too much like an evangelist, but gun ownership, along with being an enjoyable experience, carries some serious resposibilities and if not taken seriously can be harmful/dangerous to you. Enjoy, and shoot well and safely.