Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Good shoulder rig to OC a 6.5 inch 44 mag?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I am looking for a good shoulder rig for a 6.5 S&W 44 magnum. It will mostly for back country trips and will be OCed in the field and in public where appropriate but if I go into very public places or if it gets cold I may consider CCing via a coat depending on the situation since it is such a large revolver and will draw a LOT of attention.

I was preferring something comfortable enough to wear all day and with an off side tie down or even a speed loader carrier mainly for balance. I am thinking leather and was thinking about avoiding a single sided model like the Bianchi X15 because of a lack of balance. I have seen the Allessi Field model but it is really pricey.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions with other models. I like the typical shoulder holster because the gun is out of the way and still very accessible. Guide holsters, chest holsters and similar hunting holsters will be in the way when carrying my photographic gear on back country trips which is where this will mostly be carried.

Any feedback is extremely appreciated before I spend a lot of money.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Good shoulder rig to OC a 6.5 inch 44 mag?

Wow, not one response after nearly 80 views. I guess revolvers are out of style. I noticed a definite shortage of 44 magnums in the local gun shops in NEPA. I assume it is because of the cost of ammo and also because there isn't anything in our woods needing protection from with a 44 magnum. My issue is I travel out west for wildlife photography and vacation so bear defense is an issue.

Well, this is the direction I am going in so far. It seems to have good reviews, carries comfortably, is secured to your belt and has decent balance. If anyone is interested.

http://www.falcoholsters.com/eshop/l...-it-71-22.html

It would come with two speed loader pouches on the off carry side in the revolver model.

If anyone has any experience with Falco I would be interested.

(Mercer County)

I like the "Dirty Harry" from Lawman Leather for a Smith Model 29 with that long of a barrel.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Luzerne County)

I have looked into them a lot. Their work looks awesome. I have also run into NUMEROUS people who were charged and have been waiting a year and never got their holster yet.

It seems they are quoting 16-20 weeks but are actually running 16 months on average. I figured out what I would want and with the larger straps and speed loader and I would be looking at about $325-350. I don't know if it is worth a year or so to get it.

(Carbon County)

i used to carry my colt python like that years ago...very comfortable but for the life of me i cant remember what holster i had. i carried it in the winter cc

(Luzerne County)

I was going back and froth between the Bianchi X15, the Alessi Filed Holster and the Falco.

I like the Alessi and the Falco because they have off side tie downs and ammo carriers for better balance. The Alessi was $235 and the Falco was $150. They look like the same design but the Falco comes in 30 days the Alessi is months.

I really hope neither of these scratch the gun. It has a beautiful polished stainless finish. High gloss, similar to a nickel plate.

(Monroe County)

Look into one of these from Holsterama. $85 and $117, Handcrafted in In Italy from fine Italian Leather, cant beat that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Luzerne County)

This won't work. Unfortunately they only make them for a 6 inch model. Because it is so closely molded the 6.5 inch barrel won't fit.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    I was going back and froth between the Bianchi X15, the Alessi Filed Holster and the Falco.

I like the Alessi and the Falco because they have off side tie downs and ammo carriers for better balance. The Alessi was $235 and the Falco was $150. They look like the same design but the Falco comes in 30 days the Alessi is months.

I really hope neither of these scratch the gun. It has a beautiful polished stainless finish. High gloss, similar to a nickel plate.
    Thanks for the info, I picked up a s&w 44mag 6.5in about a month ago and have been having trouble finding a shoulder rig for it. Seems like they make a lot more for the 6in.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    This won't work. Unfortunately they only make them for a 6 inch model. Because it is so closely molded the 6.5 inch barrel won't fit.
    Yeah that sucks man, i'll check to see if Bob Mernickle makes one in a 6.5 inch .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast