Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default best 1911 for its price?

I know there are a lot of threads asking these questions but companies turn out products relatively quickly and pistols/options/models change. Now that I feel like I've justified my question/post, I'd like to try to get an updated idea of whats going on as I'm sure theres much more 1911 knowledge out here in the PAFOA community that I could learn from.

That being said, when I talk about value it does not include a price range. Simply put, what 1911 pistol gives you the most for the price tag? I'm really interested in the Springfield TRP operator, the Kimber Warrior or potentially a Les Baer Ultimate Recon. I really value the ability to add a light bc I'd like to use my next 1911 for a bedside gun and there is something about steel I trust a lot more than aluminum frames. I believe foremost in reliability and I feel like accuracy is good enough in most cases to be combat effective. I don't need to stand at the range and shoot slowly and try to hit a quarter at 25 yards.

Please don't feel limited, let me know what you like and why.

Thanks for your time/opinions,
    cpoth

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: best 1911 for its price?

tag, cause I wanna know too

(Lawrence County)

For a good price with bells and whistles and even a kazoo, it's hard to beat the Taurus 1911. Ruger has a 1911 as well that everyone has said is amazing, if you can get your hands on one... I carry a Rock Island Tactical, and it's a great weapon for $490 OTD... Rails might be different, but I don't look for guns with rails, so of that, I have no opinion... But the Taurus and the Rock Island Tactical both do come with rails depending on model...

-Chaz
    Last edited by Chazman321; February 13th, 2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Extra info
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Northampton County)

Rock island isn't bad one of the cheaper ones you can get. If your looking for more for under a 1000 I recommend a sig sauer they have plenty to choose from. I like the tac pack they sell or 1911 ttt is also a great one from sig. Above that a colt commander would be my choice especially if you came across a gold cup series commander. Theirs alot out there to choose from if you want your 1911 to have all the bells and whistles like the extended grip safety etc..I know Remington makes a cheaper one that is just your basic model, but I'd go with more the sig or colt. The colt loaded series are about in the price range of the sigs and are also a great 1911 for under 1000. Keep us posted on what you decide.

Ruger should be the winner here in the "best value for the dollar" sweepstakes, but they don't have a rail gun (yet). That leaves only one contender -- Colt.

Kimbers are overpriced junk, Taurus are underpriced junk (remember when Taurus came out? They were selling a gun with $500 worth of extras for $500. The math just doesn't work), and Les Baer pistols are very nice, built too tight to be considered practical, and too expensive.

Colt is the clear winner. You can buy rail guns for less, and you can spend a lot more, but Colt is the best value.

(Centre County)

For a best Value, Taurus is impossible to beat.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...RAIL+8RD+Blued

For a price of Springfield MilSpec, you get front checker, under trigger checker,
    Slim grip, ambi safety and rail(Since you mention attaching a light). And they are forged frame/slide/barrel, unlike RIA(which I love mine). And the last example I looked at had an excellent fit and finish.

You'll often hear some people bash them, because its Taurus. Let them spend more money for the samething else!!
    If anything, you can replace EVERYTHING inside. Frame/slide are forged. It'll make excellent base for build.
    And unlike TRP or Desert warrior, just about every distributer have them in stock!
    I have Kimber Custom TLE/RL II on order. Like OP, I wanted one with light rail to be used as bedside weapon.
    my funshop said that I may see it showing up by September!

Buy TRP or Kimber or whatever people like if you want to impress your buddy at the range.
    But I'd be more then willing to take a taurus and lough all the way to the bank
    Last edited by Mity2; February 13th, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Carbon County)

not sure i would buy the ruger yet. its new, you cant find them and i wonder if they are having a problem with them or they cant build them quick enough. that scares me. taurus for the money? i dont know...are they cheap because of the materials are not as good as say a colt? compare apples to apples. just because its cheap doesnt mean its the best value. im not bashing taurus i have a couple revolvers, seem to be ok. you should just go out and see for yourself what you like. i have a colt and i never had a problem with it, and highly recommend. shoots great, never failed after a couple thousand rounds. also of people here like springfields. smith makes a nice one as so does sig. i am not a fan of Kimber, i think they are overpriced. just like sigs other pistols.

When you include the life time warranty and all the fetaures Tauurus is hard to beat. But if you comsidered just the price I think some of the Phillipinean 1911s can compare the Citideal, Sam the RIAs are in the same price range or cheaper.

Taurus is still hard to beat a 1911 from a company thats been around for decades and is not going any where. $600 for a dress out 1911 is hard to bet, Ruger is almost on there but tail but no chekering on the grips.
    Last edited by Neko456; February 13th, 2012 at 02:28 PM.

(Lawrence County)

No 1911 should need a few thousand rounds to be broken in and become reliable... My RIA had no issues from the box, none... Feeds everything, eject is very positive, extractor has a good bite on the casing... A lot of people have turned their backs on Kimber because of multiple failures. I've never cared much for Colts, awful lot of money just to have that pony on the slide... lol

RIA Tactical 2011 (not double stack, just means it has a rail) or Taurus PT1911 will give you the most bang for your buck...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Northumberland County)

Ruger SR1911 is better then Taurus or RIA cuz its stainless . Im saving up for a SR1911 , i sold my RIA wasnt very happy with it.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast