Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Responsibility for others' gun safety

Hi all, new around here, first post. Just wanted to get any thoughts you have on this situation.

Recently, my best friend and I both became interested in shooting. We have taken vastly different approaches. I've been doing as much reading as possible about the subject, safety, learning about weapons, history, etc. I've just started off with a .22 pistol to get started and learn my way up. I really enjoy shooting and ideally would someday like to get involved in competitions.

Anyway, I'm not the point of this message. I'm a little frustrated that my friend doesn't seem to take owning/carrying a gun as seriously as he should. He bought a Glock .45 and concealed carry right out of the store, but never practices. He's gone shooting a grand total of two times by my count in the 5 months he's had it, and quite frankly, sucks...can't hit the side of a barn. Yet he carries it with him all the time, either in his cargo pants pocket, or in his belt like a gangster never in a proper holster. I just think he's a little "power happy" with his new toy, and actually it pisses me off. I also think that because he's got the Glock that won't fire without being cocked, he thinks nothing can happen. I don't think he has any idea of the gravity of responsibility that comes from owning a gun, much less carrying it. I think an accident is inevitable.

My question is, what right or responsibility does one gun owner have to question another gun owners tactics or methods? I know that some will take the responsibility more seriously than others, but it just kinda pisses me off. It's his right to have it, to carry it, but I'd love to scream at him "SLOW THE F--- DOWN!!".

Looking forward to any advice, and to being part of the forums, thanks.
    Last edited by DemonOfTheFall; February 5th, 2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: clarification of point

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Responsibility for others' gun safety

Howdy, and welcome to the forum. Yes I also believe that your friend is an accident waiting to happen. If that boy doesn't get himself some education about what he's doing, he is going to get himself, or, God forbid, someone else killed. And then it's too late. So please, do everything you can to slow your friend down before he gets hurt. As for the "power trip" thing, that is absolutely what he's doing. It's a feeling of power and apparently it has gone to his head. You are taking the right approach to the situation, getting educated is one of the biggest parts of responsible gun ownership and I applaud your efforts. Please take your friend aside and try to explain to him the potential harm that can come from his irresponsible attitude. Good luck, and happy shooting.

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Lehigh County)

Did he have a LTCF when he CC'd right out the door? Either way if you can sneak the firing pin out of his gun when he's not looking

(Monroe County)

See if you can get him to a firearms training course, even if you have to pay for him. Some time with a trainer who requires that the rules be followed and explains why, may be all he needs. BTW, I never heard of Glock with a hammer the only real safety on a Glock (excluding internal safeties to prevent discharge when the trigger is not pulled) is the operator's brain, and from what I infer from your post that safety is malfunctioning.
    Last edited by wewo; February 6th, 2008 at 08:27 AM.

(Allegheny County)

It sounds like you just described 70% of the posters on this forum.

Most people who carry a gun are untrained and don't shoot very often.

My advice would be to not worry about him but seek professional training yourself. Eventually your buddy will see that you actually know what you're doing and may choose to stop being an embarassment and emulate your example.

(York County)

I think he means that he carries the glock without one in the chamber and wouild need to rack the slide for it to fire. I think you definitely should not get "stuck" on your buddy to the point it affects what you do for yourself personaaly. Just make strong suggestions and if you take a course/class ask him to go with you. He might go along with it if he knows he will be there with someone he knows.

(Westmoreland County)

The universal rules for personal conduct:

1. Do not go to stupid places.
    2. Do not do stupid things.
    3. Do not associate with stupid people.

Have you spoken about your concerns to your best friend? If not, it is imperative to do so. If you have not taken a class the time to do it is now. Maybe you could suggest taking the class together. If he won't do it, you should do it. If you have already taken a basic class it is time to take a defensive handgun class. Even if he has not taken a class like NRA Basic Pistol he will benefit from a defensive class.

The Katar's advice is really the only other option. Be a good example. Sometimes, if they're perceptive, this can be enough. That is, if he respects you and your knowledge. Without his respect there will be no learning.

On a personal note, how long have your friend and you been close? If there is a lot of history there then the effort is worth it. But even then if he doesn't get the message, it may be time to reconsider this relationship. If he is a new acquaintance, you should still speak up. When he tells you to take a hike the loss will be small.

The bottom line is do you really want to be there when he does something stupid?
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

Quote Originally Posted by TRB View Post
    .....The bottom line is do you really want to be there when he does something stupid?
    You could end being interviewed at the scene, or worse, a witness for the prosecution.

Jack

(Berks County)

While I completely disagree with your friend's behavior, you will always have individuals who choose to act irresponsibly when you live in a free society. And while an irresponsible individual has the potential to do more harm than good by exercising his right to bear arms, I'd rather that than have the freedoms of all restricted to deal with such individuals, who are IMHO a minority in this community.

The best advice I can give is to make him aware of your concerns and that you're worried his lack of practice or training could be unsafe, especially if he felt the need to defend himself. Try to make him understand that without even the most basic practice (forget training) he is likely to hurt an innocent individual, or even himself. That's about all you can do, and hope he'll listen.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    While I completely disagree with your friend's behavior, you will always have individuals who choose to act irresponsibly when you live in a free society. And while an irresponsible individual has the potential to do more harm than good by exercising his right to bear arms, I'd rather that than have the freedoms of all restricted to deal with such individuals, who are IMHO a minority in this community.

The best advice I can give is to make him aware of your concerns and that you're worried his lack of practice or training could be unsafe, especially if he felt the need to defend himself. Try to make him understand that without even the most basic practice (forget training) he is likely to hurt an innocent individual, or even himself. That's about all you can do, and hope he'll listen.

That is what I meant to say.

It is important to take note of CR's first paragraph. It is our freedom that permits this irresponsible behavior. There is no freedom without risk.

It is also our duty to educate those who behave this way. What they choose to do with the information is up to them. They may refuse delivery. That is part of being free.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast