Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default IMBEL FN-FAL .308 Winchester

I know many on here are in love with their AR-15s and .223, but I have decided this is not for me. Please don't post comments like ".308 sucks! or FN-FAL is crap," this does nothing to help me.

I want some constructive comments on experiences with FN-FAL rifles, IMBEL builds in particular. I have been looking at this beauty:

http://atlanticfirearms.com/programm...asp?Prodid=479

There is also a carbine version here:

http://atlanticfirearms.com/programm...asp?Prodid=486

Carbine version doesn't have any specs listed but I am assuming that it is 1-2 pounds lighter and has a 3-6 inch shorter barrel. Still waiting for a call back.

I don't have a "main use idea" for the gun in-mind right now, but I was thinking I could use it to practice my marksmanship or for a SHTF situation.

Comments welcome.

Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: IMBEL FN-FAL .308 Winchester

I myself LOVE FN/FALs...I have 3, a pistol, a carbine, and a full rifle.
    Mine are Austrian StG58 kits built on Imbel receivers, and have DSA US parts on them.

the rifle you are looking at is a parts kit gun built on a new US receiver, with other US parts on it.

I find the statement "These are a resonably priced FAL factory built rifle and not the junky worn out part kits guns built by others." more than a little deceptive as the very FIRST sentence says these are built from parts kits.

By "others" thye are probably referring to "Century Arms" that did some REALLY crappy FAL builds.

parts kits primarily (like these) come from guns that have been removed from service, not due to a problem per se, or wear, just that they got new guns, and I believe Brazil got new guns.

these are NEW receivers with USED parts kits built on them, just like any other parts kit gun, then refinished, so the quality is dependednt on the original state of the parts kit used, the quality of the US made parts installed, and the quality of the assembly....but basically, this is a 2 MOA or so field grade battle rifle.

if this is what you are looking for, do it up, you wont regret it, the FAL is a fantastic rifle, and was used by 93 different countries at one point, and a lot STILL use it.

this rifle is sufficient for human combat ranges out past 500m, further with optic

after I got into FALs, I pretty much abandoned all my other 308 semi battle rifles like the HK series, the FAL I found was more ergonomic, more compact, more reliable, and has an adjustable gas system, and runs better when dirty that most HK design rifles.

the rifle version should have a 21-22" barrel, and the carbine will have a 18" barrel(if they went Imbel para spec), dont expect any weight difference aside from the couple ounces of barrel that chopped on the carbine.

group shot of my FN and FN design guns:
    StG58 rifle with Imbel receiver
    FM Argy HiPower
    Stg58 Para, Imbel receiver and para lower
    Fn5.7 USG
    DSA OSW barrel set pistol on Imbel receiver
    FN/FS2000

Last edited by JayBell; February 5th, 2008 at 09:48 PM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Centre County)

While I love my AR, I'd trade for good FAL with .308

Zombie or North Korean, .308 is much more comforting to me then 5.56mm
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Cumberland County)

Join this board

http://www.falfiles.com/forums

There's a wealth of FAL information there. You'll find me there too.

As for making a decision, let me help you - Take your $1,400 and buy one!!!

It's a piston operated gas powered action - kind of like the AK. The difference is that the piston is not connected to the bolt carrier. The gas port is also adjustable. You don't allow more gas into the system, but you adjust the amount of gas that is vented out of the system. This is really nice if you want to load up some light loads for a pleasant afternoon at the range. Close off the gas vent a bit more than usual, and the rifle will still cycle. If you run some REALLY hot loads, you can open the vent up a click or two, and the rifle still cycles without beating up your shoulder. Flip the gas plug, and you turn off the gas system entirely. You essentially have a bolt action rifle - minus some of the accuracy. SHTF and you close the vent down completely to guarantee that the brass ejects and doesn't end up under your feet (the AK comes to mind here).

However, unlike the AK, the FAL feels like a well engineered machine, while the AK feels like a sloppy assembly of quickly made parts - oh wait, it is. Seriously though... when I got my FAL from my gunsmith, I was expecting something that operated as sloppy as my AK. Boy was I surprised. It's smooth and tight. It has a very "yes sir, I've done what you asked" response when you rack the action or release the bolt hold open on a full clip.

The carry handle is a stroke of pure genius. It is positioned DIRECTLY at the balance point of the gun. The magazine is located right below it, so empty or full, the balance point doesn't move.

Here's my FAL

It's an Imbel kit on an Imbel receiver. The forehand grip is a Tapco T-48 style, and the stock is from DSA.

Some of the better FAL's that you'll find at a reasonable price are made by DSA.
    http://www.dsarms.com/
    Their prices are reasonable. They are made from decommissioned military rifle parts kits - much like any imported military pattern rifle. The DSA made upper receiver is machined from a forged billet - not an investment casting or cold rolled steel - so it's good and strong. I didn't buy one from DSA, but I understand that they are excellent rifles.

As for accuracy, most can do about a 2-4 inch group or better at 100 yards. I kept most on a paper plate the first time out with mine. As with any gun, ammo quality will effect accuracy too. The ammo I was shooting was loaded as part of my SHTF stash, so it wasn't QC'd like my hunting ammo. Close enough was close enough. I'm sure that better quality ammo will print a better group. Expect at least minute of bad guy out to 300 yards with a bit of practice. More practice, and you're good out farther.

Ammo is more expensive than 5.56 and you carry less of it for the same weight in your pack, but 1 round should be enough to get the job done. If you reload, there is a VERY broad spectrum of bullet weights and shapes in the .308 diameter family.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a negative. Maybe I drank the FAL cool-aid.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Philadelphia County)

FYI - you could probably swing a basic DSA STG58 ordered from DSA for about a grand - http://www.dsarms.com/products.asp?dept=9 Handguards (if you like Imbel type) are an easy switch. They will modify a rifle with whatever extras you want.

Another idea is to watch the marketplace on the FALFiles for a while - you may able to pick up a deal. This little VERY high end Arizona Response System cutie was under $900 delivered. Para folders are also nice.

(Allegheny County)

JM$.02;

Cent has a deserved rep for a bad past, but supposedly they have gotten better.

And at least they will stand behind their products. My Cent cust service has been with one of their AKs - and they made things right.

I have heard that taking price into consideration, the Cent FALs are acceptable.

If I were still in the market for a FAL, and given that I am eternally cheap and broke; I'd roll the dice on a Cent FAL.

As others have mentioned; get to the FALFiles and start reading up.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post

group shot of my FN and FN design guns:
    StG58 rifle with Imbel receiver
    FM Argy HiPower
    Stg58 Para, Imbel receiver and para lower
    Fn5.7 USG
    DSA OSW barrel set pistol on Imbel receiver
    FN/FS2000

Where did you find the pistol? I want one. Want to sell it?

(Allegheny County)

Are the guns advertised by Atlantic built by Century. If so I wouldn't buy one.

I'd contact Arizona Response, they have a good rep.

I have a DS Arms SA-58 carbine. Bought it about four years ago and she is a keeper.

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Northumberland County)

imo, im not one for the carbines.. but they are great rifles.

just need to get my upper one day and ill have 2!!!

the only part on any fal ive seen are the us ones. im not much on the stocks, which i HAD on my first build, just have a cheap shitty feel to them, replaced them with the orig foreign ones and put in a us fcg, the trigger went to being excellent, to a typical shitty millitary trigger.

i plan on, one day, taking the us fcg out and working it over to work like the orig though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

(Philadelphia County)

I have a few FALs, and my Arizona Response Systems and factory DSA are probably the nicest (My ARS one is nicer - so I am considering one of his AKs as my next purchase).

By the way, Gumplumber of Arizona Response is selling two builds he did (Entreprise Arms sent him some of their receivers for review, he did the builds and the reviews and is now selling them off). Not as nice as my ARS FAL, but a safe bet for a trouble-free gun.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.co...agefalent3.htm
    http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=221423