Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default IDPA and USPSA at Holidaysburg this year.

Holidaysburg Sportmen Assocition will be adding another shoot to the monthly line up. http://www.hollidaysburgsportsmensclub.com/idpa01.html
    Info on the IDPA shoots can be found on the site. Not sure if there is anything on the new shoots yet.

They are going to do a USPSA shoot the 1st Saturday of month. And the IDPA shoot the 3rd Saturday of the month. (Twice a month.... I'm going to be having a field day this year)

Should make for a lot of good shooting. I know Dan Burwell is leading the IDPA events, and I believe he is also running the USPSA event. If so, you can be sure that it will be a great shoot. Dan puts a lot of heart and hard work into the shoots he runs. You won't be disappointed if you show up.

Shoots start in April.

Steve, you better be stocking up on ammo. I'm going to try using the Subcompact the entire season. Should make it fun.

Bring it on Dan......
    Last edited by Mtbkski; February 5th, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: IDPA and USPSA at Holidaysburg this year.

It's great that they are starting USPSA there. At our Section meeting this month we were informed that they are starting in April, IIRC. Might try to make it out there once this year.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Holidaysburg Sportmen Assocition will be adding another shoot to the monthly line up. http://www.hollidaysburgsportsmensclub.com/idpa01.html
    Info on the IDPA shoots can be found on the site. Not sure if there is anything on the new shoots yet.

They are going to do a USPSA shoot the 1st Saturday of month. And the IDPA shoot the 3rd Saturday of the month. (Twice a month.... I'm going to be having a field day this year)

Should make for a lot of good shooting. I know Dan Burwell is leading the IDPA events, and I believe he is also running the USPSA event. If so, you can be sure that it will be a great shoot. Dan puts a lot of heart and hard work into the shoots he runs. You won't be disappointed if you show up.

Shoots start in April.

Steve, you better be stocking up on ammo. I'm going to try using the Subcompact the entire season. Should make it fun.

Bring it on Dan......
    Randy I have already started on the ammo. We are going to have a GREAT time this year

Dan puts on a great shoot.
    Thanks Dan for all the work you do it is very much appreciated
    Steve

I'm pretty sure that I will be joining the Holidaysburg club this year in order to start competing in IDPA (and perhaps USPSA now).

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by lexington86 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I will be joining the Holidaysburg club this year in order to start competing in IDPA (and perhaps USPSA now).
    With your $50 membership, you get two passes for shoots. (That gets you $30 back right there). Then your fee is reduced $5 for each shoot. So, if you attend 6 shoots, you will have gotten your money back. Not a bad deal.

I plan on joining this payday. You can print a membership form right off the website.

Look for us at the range. Steve and I are the good looking ones.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by lexington86 View Post
    You will have a great time there,the guys that shoot there are very friendly and helpful.And Dan allways puts on a good shoot.
    Steve

(Centre County)

Gentlemen, I want to start shooting at these matches. What am I going to need? I tried looking on the H-burg site and it doesn't really give any info on what is needed for these matches.

If all else fails I might stop try to find Dan's shop and talk with him about the matches.

I'm assumming I'm going to need a gun, mags, ammo, holster?, spare mag holder?

What type of gun can I shoot? (1911, glock, M&P)

Could I trouble someone to give a brief overview of that different stages at both matches?

Are the matches held at the steel plate pistol range?
    Last edited by unclemoak; February 8th, 2008 at 11:34 AM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoak View Post
    Gentlemen, I want to start shooting at these matches. What am I going to need? I tried looking on the H-burg site and it doesn't really give any info on what is needed for these matches.
    You are in for a ton of fun. If you think that shooting is fun. Wait till you try this. I haven't met anyone that isn't hooked after one time of shooting. Most of the rules below are for the IDPA. Not sure exactly what differences are in IDPA and USPSA other than a much higher round count.

You will need at least two magazines, and a double magazine holder. Most times you only need two magazines. But every once in a while. Dan throws one at us that makes us reload 3 times. Your only allowed 10 rounds in a magazine for IDPA, but for USPSA, I believe that magazine capacity isn't a factor, and you can load them up, and normally need to. Lots more shooting.

Holster needs to cover the trigger and you can not see air between the holster and your body. It has to fit close.

You will need a cover. Which is a shirt or vest that will conceal your weapon and magazines when you hold your arms out straight at your sides.

You will want some way of hauling your stuff from station to station. A range bag, a tool box. a bucket. Anything will work that allows you to carry what you will need to compete.

You will need hearing protection. Any type will work, but whatever you do, don't try the electronic earmuffs. If you do, you will end up buying a pair. They are really nice to have so, you can hear conversations great and still muff out gunshots.

Cost was $15 a shoot last year. But if you join the club. You get two free passes to shoots, and $5 off every shoot you attend. So, you will get your money back quickly if you do join. Click on this link for info on joining. http://www.hollidaysburgsportsmensclub.com/index.html

I belive that 9mm is the smallest caliber allowed and it goes up from there. You will mostly see a mix of 9mm and 45's, with some 40's thrown in there. You can compete with a revolver, but semi's definately rule the field. I use an XD. Dan uses a M&P and swears by them. Glocks are there. Lots of 1911's. You will see lots variety there.

Could I trouble someone to give a brief overview of that different stages at both matches?
    IDPA ususally consist of around a 20 round stage. I believe that USPSA goes up a bit higer than that. Like 30's and 40's.
    Expect to shoot from cover, while moving, over top of, underneath of, around, thru, and between all kinds of wild things.
    Expect targets to be right in front of you, far away, partially hidden, behind good guys, bobbing, weaving, twisting toward and falling away from you. The moving ones are what make the shoots really intense.

Send me a e-mail address and I will send you pics and short movies that I have taken at various shoots.

Go past the steel plate range down to the club house itself. All of the big bays that they use for skeet shooting, is where we compete. We start off with a safety meeting and then off to expend a bunch of ammo. Lots of good guys. Lots of fun. You won't be sorry. Thats for sure. Make sure to look Steve and me up. We will be there trying to hit the targets and just having a good time. I usually have my PAFOA hat on.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoak View Post

Here is a link to the USPSA web site
    http://uspsa.org/dw/gettingstarted.html

Good video from USPSA http://uspsa.org/USPSA_Videos/index.html

A 1911 can shoot in Single Stack, Limited 10 and Limited Divisions

The Glock and M&P can shoot in everything except Single Stack and Revolver.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Bedford County)

I may be interested in joining and attending the shoots. I have some things that need taken care of first. I'll keep my eye on this thread for updates.
    <a href=http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/2175485722f4a1b35.jpg target=_blank>http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehost...722f4a1b35.jpg</a>

"A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast